ETs latest "Present Moment Reminder"

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

ETs latest "Present Moment Reminder"

Postby Sighclone » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:24 pm

When you are fully present with everyone you meet, you relinquish the conceptual identity you made for them — your interpretation of who they are and what they did in the past — and are able to interact without the egoic movements of desire and fear. Attention, which is alert stillness, is the key.

- Eckhart Tolle, April 18, 2014
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: ETs latest "Present Moment Reminder"

Postby KathleenBrugger » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks for sharing this Andy. It makes me think of an email exchange I recently had with someone on this forum.

I wrote that I had just done some traveling and saw some old friends and family. What was interesting was that three times people divulged secrets to me. One man, who I only know slightly, told me about an embarrassing error he had made while building something--embarrassing because it revealed how out of touch with reality he was in the moment he made the error. Turns out that he accepted what he had done, and then what he was making was even better for the "mistake." But my point is that he had never told anyone else about this, and his wife was astonished when he told me. Another person said, "I feel like I could tell you anything."

My correspondent asked what I thought was going on--why did these people feel safe with me? (And this isn't a recent phenomenon, it's been happening for years now). I replied: In We Are ALL Innocent I put it this way: our minds operate from flight/fight survival behavior just like our physical bodies. We are constantly on alert and react to others through either aggressive-attack or passive-retreat strategies. Fighting and flighting are forms of rejecting what is, and even though flighting is passive, because it's a rejection of what is it has a negative energetic expression. When you don't accept someone, the person experiences negativity in your response to them. There is an alternative to flight/fight, and that is to face. To face means to accept what is in the moment. ET's "attention, which is alert stillness," sounds like what I mean by "face."

When you accept other people as they are with less judgment than ordinary (judgment is just another word for rejecting what is), they experience a lessening of the ordinary negative energy. Then they feel safe with you, and all sorts of unexpected things come out. Sometimes I think even they are surprised at what they've shared!
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby Fore » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:09 pm

When you are fully present with everyone you meet

It is important to understand this.

Retreat inward, alone, eyes closed, still, observe the prisoners, let them go. Observe the past lives as they rise up and pass away.
When you learn to be fully present with yourselves, then as a by-product of this you will learn to be present with "others".
Fore

Postby Sighclone » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks both Kathleen and fore -

As you know, I'm a big fan of "Buddha's Brain" by Hanson and Mendius. They a give neurophysiological foundation for the fight-or-flight response (also presented by many others) - but their suggestion is similar to Kathleen's -- when you interrupt or replace that reflex, or find/establish another less reactive one, a field of compassion is created to which all living things respond. Intimacy can take many forms, from the deep love in a committed relationship to a smile to a stranger on the street. Wise awake teachers have all spoken about unconditional love being the result of authentic spiritual discovery, and also that it becomes the purpose of life after a shift. That can take many forms, but one of the reasons I like Kathleen's book so much is that it starts with the end of judgment about the behavior of others. Eckhart is actually more judgmental about insanity in both PON and ANE. A different approach and support for Unconditional Love comes to us from Nanci Danison, not a nondual teacher, but rather a near-death experiencer, in her books "Backwards, Returning to our Source for Answers" and "Backwards Guide Book," and her continuing Blogspot. She reaches the same conclusion from her "knowings" delivered during her nde. Nanci is not a lightweight -- she's an attorney and psychologist.

With respect to Easter...

And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
1 John 4:16

Namaste,

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Phil2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:09 pm

KathleenBrugger wrote:When you accept other people as they are with less judgment than ordinary (judgment is just another word for rejecting what is), they experience a lessening of the ordinary negative energy. Then they feel safe with you, and all sorts of unexpected things come out. Sometimes I think even they are surprised at what they've shared!

Very true. Judgement creates categories good and bad, what you like and don't like, what should be and should not be ... when someone feels he might be rejected by your judgement, he will not 'trust' you and certainly not reveal to you what is intimate ...

This is also why we can talk easily to (real) friends, we know they will understand us and not reject us ... I think it is also the quality of a good therapist or spiritual teacher: listen to you attentively without judging you ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion