ET and ACIM

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

ET and ACIM

Postby Starseed » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Hello,

Could those of you familiar with this topic please comment ?

ET often quotes from ACIM, and if there is one book that one can consider his BIBLE (other than the christian bible) it seems to me it is ACIM.

What is his relationship with and how much time did he spend in ACIM circles, and does he recommend ACIM as a course of study for his "fans" ?

Thanks in advance.
Starseed

Re: ET and ACIM

Postby Sighclone » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Welcome Starseed! I noticed your objection to ACIM in another thread, and respect it. Yes, ACIM was "received" or "Downloaded" for a Chirstian audience, and has a Biblical tone and style. ET was raised in a Western European environment, but I do not think he has any special preference for ACIM. He likes all the Christian mystics, especially Meister Eckhart, of course. But also Thomas A Kempis, Thomas Merton and others. You might join Eckharttv and ask that ACIM question. We do not have any special link to ET in this forum, to my knowledge.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby peas » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:54 am

ACIM is on Eckhart's recommended reading list, along with many other fine books.

He has said that the whole book, which is very long (too long for me to sift through), can be summarised by the opening remark:

Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.

I think this points to how you could skip reading the book itself, and miss nothing.
peas

Postby Psychoslice » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:17 am

I think the ACIM is what resonates with ET, it doesn't matter what scripture or books you read, any of them could ignite your inner being to awaken. I personally like the ACIM better than the bible, I also like the Bhagavad Gita, a little of the bible, but I wouldn't say you need to read these to awaken, even the news paper could do it, when you are ready it will simply happen.
Psychoslice

Postby peas » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:41 am

Psychoslice wrote:I think the ACIM is what resonates with ET, it doesn't matter what scripture or books you read, any of them could ignite your inner being to awaken. I personally like the ACIM better than the bible, I also like the Bhagavad Gita, a little of the bible, but I wouldn't say you need to read these to awaken, even the news paper could do it, when you are ready it will simply happen.

+1 to that, especially "even the news paper could do it".
peas

Postby beginnersmind » Sat May 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Sighclone wrote:Welcome Starseed! I noticed your objection to ACIM in another thread, and respect it. Yes, ACIM was "received" or "Downloaded" for a Chirstian audience, and has a Biblical tone and style. ET was raised in a Western European environment, but I do not think he has any special preference for ACIM. He likes all the Christian mystics, especially Meister Eckhart, of course. But also Thomas A Kempis, Thomas Merton and others. You might join Eckharttv and ask that ACIM question. We do not have any special link to ET in this forum, to my knowledge.

Andy

From what I know of what Eckhart Tolle has spoken about ACIM. It is what he used when he first began teaching as he hadn't found his own voice yet. I first became aware of ACIM from his book, "The Power of Now". He also mentions ACIM in his talks, "The Findhorn Retreat" and "Finding Your Inner Purpose." He also has an audio/video out exclusively discussing ACIM. I also tend to think that Tolle's book, "Stillness Speaks" is in reference to an ACIM passage that states:

The stillness speaks in gentle sounds of love the Son of God remembers from before his own remembering came in between the present and the past to shut them out.

Eric: This line is completely out of context, so it might seem a bit abstract.

Tolle doesn't reccomend ACIM nor discourage people from reading it. He merely states that it is something that might speak to people and it might not speak to others. Tolle speaks very highly of ACIM in the audio/video.

Eric
beginnersmind

Postby Starseed » Wed May 21, 2014 7:55 pm

I am not sure it is worth reading the ACIM text from cover to cover, but what I took from the little I learned about it, is the value of forgiveness as explained by Gary Renard. Not forgiveness in the usual sense, but realizing that we are all manifestations of the same single ego, and that condemning each other leads to unconscious guilt which leads to more of the same. Seeing that all are aspects of oneself, projections, one need not take seriously what comes out of them, especially when it hurts, and to let them be ... without condemning. As Gary Renard says, in his Disappearance of the Universe, and in his talks, the path of forgiveness is truly liberating. I take that one idea out of ACIM and try to practice it. I think it is truly worth considering.
Starseed

Postby Starseed » Wed May 21, 2014 7:59 pm

These are two videos from Gary Renard that I liked on the topic of forgiveness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jan54HxAyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4zLgxKHGs
Starseed

Postby beginnersmind » Fri May 23, 2014 3:11 am

Gary Renard, now there's a forgiveness lesson in itself. BTW, there is not one ego and the course doesn't teach that. That's a misinterpretation from Ken Wapnick that Gary repeats cause Gary doesn't have an original thought.
beginnersmind

Postby peas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:37 am

beginnersmind wrote:Gary Renard, now there's a forgiveness lesson in itself. BTW, there is not one ego and the course doesn't teach that. That's a misinterpretation from Ken Wapnick that Gary repeats cause Gary doesn't have an original thought.

Understanding what thought you will know that there is no such thing as an original thought. Not for Gary, or you, or me.
peas

Postby beginnersmind » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Peas, you're making statements and over generalizing about a specific subject matter within a specific context that I highly doubt you're all that familiar with, but I could be wrong. Are you extremely familiar with ACIM, Ken Wapnick´s work, and Gary Renard´s books? If so, you would understand my statement.
beginnersmind

Postby peas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:00 am

beginnersmind wrote:Peas, you're making statements and over generalizing about a specific subject matter within a specific context that I highly doubt you're all that familiar with, but I could be wrong. Are you extremely familiar with ACIM, Ken Wapnick´s work, and Gary Renard´s books? If so, you would understand my statement.

Saying that everyone doesn't have an original thought is a realization rather than a generalization.
peas

Postby beginnersmind » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:40 am

Peas, you're confusing with what some might call the perennial philosophy in which Tolle is not saying anything original, nor Krishnamurti, nor Mararshi, nor ACIM, nor William Samuels, nor, The Buddha or Jesus etc. etc. etc. with a very specific context in which an author is discussing a very specific book.

From your reply, it seems obvious you're not very familiar with the authors or the book being discussed, so your answer doesn't really pertain to tis specific subject matter. Your answer is an over generalization as you're trying to impose it on the specific and on a specific subject matter you're not even familiar with. As I said before, if you were familiar with the subject matter, you would understand my statement
beginnersmind

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion