Millions & Millions Are Awakening. Where Are They?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Millions & Millions Are Awakening. Where Are They?

Postby David92506 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:55 am

Where are these millions and millions of people who are awakening? I live in southern California, about 1.5 hours from Los Angeles, the second largest city in the USA. I'm a social person and I don't know one person who meditates on a daily basis and/or attempts to be in the now. At the Zen Monastery I used to attend, there would be anywhere from 10 - 20 people for the Sunday meditation period. Maybe 20 people would show up for the 10-day retreat. I go to one of the largest fitness clubs in southern CA and there is no meditation room. There was an article in Psychology Today that said what most people think about all day long is: Weight, Money and Sex. I understand that Eckhart Tolle has best sellers' but just because someone buys a book doesn't mean that person practices it. Are they talking about people in India and/or China when they say millions and millions are awakening?
David92506

Re: Millions & Millions Are Awakening. Where Are They?

Postby Onceler » Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 am

Good question, although I would ask who is saying millions are awakening? I've heard some folks say that we are on the edge of a sea change in consciousness, but I agree, I don't see evidence of this either......although I'm not sure that meditation is the marker of change.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby goran » Thu May 22, 2014 12:42 pm

No, people are getting more and more entrenched every day. Unfortunately, there's no chance of awakening hitting the masses any time soon.
http://www.uncoveringlife.com – Enlightenment Starts Here
goran

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Thu May 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Personally I've found the further on this little road I've walked, the more I've come into contact with people I'd describe as 'awakened' or 'awakening'. Presumably someone like Eckhart or other well known teachers like Adyashanti would come into many as the universe guides those beings to another who can facilitate their development further, so they may have a better idea than others.

Intuition for events like this seem to increase as one becomes more aligned with The Source, which is beyond time, space, matter, so could provide those it deems ready with the knowledge of these kinds of events ahead of time so they are better equipped to ease the birthing pains produced by a global shift in consciousness.

I guess all we can really do is look after our own business. If we desire contact with the awakening masses enough, we shall receive it.

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Postby KathleenBrugger » Fri May 23, 2014 12:30 am

I'm old enough to remember the optimism that people in many countries had in the 1960s about being on the verge of a major shift in consciousness...then we were all disappointed as the 1980s dawned and it looked like everything was going backwards. But looking back now you can see that profound change did happen. The inertia created by billions of sleeping people is immense. Change happens, and we can see it when we look back in history, but when you're living in it, it's harder to see. Maybe we're in an awakening that will happen over a couple of hundred years. The Enlightenment was that kind of change. I'm sure there were times in the early days of that transition when "awakened" people felt like they were all alone and there was no one else waking up.
Last edited by KathleenBrugger on Fri May 23, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby Lee28 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:33 am

Millions and millions is not a lot of souls in a world made up of billions and billions.

I see them everyday under the hidden disguises of the human form.

The man opening the shop door for a stranger, a smile and a hello.

Some one lets a car out of a side street during rush hour when many choose to ignore.

Who are the thousands that walk before me, personally, I do not know. But as souls, I know them all.

Thousands upon thousands, millions they must be, the acts of kindness such as these around the small world that from the conditioned, human mind is such a large place.

To gauge something such as this, as intricate as this, to know who is or isn't awakened is not the answer. But to see from your heart will show you the truth. The small gestures from people even in your gym.

How can you know just because there isn't a meditation room, or just because 20 people at a zen meeting turn up instead of a satisfactory number that your mind would like to make up.

For all you know the homeless person you just passed on the street, staring vacantly when your mind says he's half beat. Maybe he is basking actually in the love of God. Whilst your mind is focused on who's awakened or not???

A self actualised person, an awakened one may not know that he is but only acts from the heart, this most divine and awakened, loving centred space.
Not knowing he is there, but naturally moving from there whilst the seeker goes on questioning and missing all that is.
Lee28

Postby Webwanderer » Fri May 23, 2014 1:19 am

Lee28 wrote:A self actualised person, an awakened one may not know that he is but only acts from the heart, this most divine and awakened, loving centred space.
Not knowing he is there, but naturally moving from there whilst the seeker goes on questioning and missing all that is.

Excellent insight Lee. Awakening may not be one simply of mind but also of heart.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby presenttense » Fri May 23, 2014 3:16 am

Since I started to read about it and to understand the power of now, more and more I am able to be in contact with "awakened" people in my journey. The interesting thing is that before i start to observe my actions and thoughts, I was never sure about it and suddenly everything changed.

Of course I can see a lot of actions ego based (as I was used to do also), but it is easy to recognize these differences now.
presenttense

Postby Onceler » Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

I like your post as well, Lee, and maybe your right, it's not the awakening of individuals the world needs, but awakened actions or behavior. That the totality of these small acts will tip the world right somehow......it's a nice reminder that our smallest actions do have an effect on the world, from using less resources, to smiling at a stranger.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby beginnersmind » Fri May 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Whether it is to be believed or not, Eckhart Tolle always says that as more people awaken, the egoic mindset is becoming more intense at the same time. In my experience, I'm seeing both
beginnersmind

Postby Onceler » Fri May 23, 2014 11:07 pm

beginnersmind wrote:Whether it is to be believed or not, Eckhart Tolle always says that as more people awaken, the egoic mindset is becoming more intense at the same time. In my experience, I'm seeing both

Good point, I forgot he said that.....might be true.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby viking55803 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:50 pm

I think one indication of "higher" consciousness is seen in how we care for animals, particularly those who co-evolved with humans like dogs. Although industrial farming is an animal holocaust, I have to say that in my lifetime the treatment of dogs particularly has changed dramatically. Almost every community seems to have a movement toward no-kill shelters for homeless pets. In the neighborhood where I live in in Northern Minnesota, no one keeps their dogs outside and stray dogs are rare. Our local animal shelter is now basically an adoption agency, with no uninjured or healthy dogs euthanized in the past few years. This was not true at all 30 or 40 years ago.

This is a very personal issue to me due to my own unconsciousness with regard to animals. In the early to mid Sixties I worked in biomedical research, mostly with rats, but later when experimental heart bypass surgery was being developed. Those experiments were done on dogs. All them died, intentionally, but suffered horrible pain in the process. There was simply no awareness of their consciousness, and no compassion as a result. Looking back on it now, it was horrific.

As my own consciousness evolved, I realized with horror my role in causing so much suffering. I have personally made amends through many years of right action. Ironically though, just a year and a half ago I personally benefitted from cardiac bypass surgery and, although it is being done in a slightly different way, it is the direct result of those early experiments.
viking55803

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat May 24, 2014 8:20 am

From reading our posts Viking, it seems your life has encountered many such twists of fate. Upon reflection I wonder how many we will all realise when this leg of our journey is complete..

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Postby viking55803 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:33 pm

EnterZenFromThere wrote:From reading our posts Viking, it seems your life has encountered many such twists of fate. Upon reflection I wonder how many we will all i when this leg of our journey is complete..

Jack

I was only 15 y/o when I worked in the research labs of the University of California - that would have been 1963! An insatiable curiosity about the world combined with a risk-taking temperament over a long period of time can result in a rather interesting life story. One curious fact, however, is that conscious awareness is truly beyond time and age is only a condition of form. I am truly grateful to be here now, ready to take this human form for a 50K bike ride on this beautiful Spring morning!
viking55803

Postby Yidaki » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:09 am

David92506 wrote:Where are these millions and millions of people who are awakening? I live in southern California, about 1.5 hours from Los Angeles, the second largest city in the USA. I'm a social person and I don't know one person who meditates on a daily basis and/or attempts to be in the now. At the Zen Monastery I used to attend, there would be anywhere from 10 - 20 people for the Sunday meditation period. Maybe 20 people would show up for the 10-day retreat. I go to one of the largest fitness clubs in southern CA and there is no meditation room. There was an article in Psychology Today that said what most people think about all day long is: Weight, Money and Sex. I understand that Eckhart Tolle has best sellers' but just because someone buys a book doesn't mean that person practices it. Are they talking about people in India and/or China when they say millions and millions are awakening?

Increased meditative practices shouldn't be used as the indicator to whether or not awakening is happening. Meditation is just a practice. It helps to calm our minds down. Plus, there are many variations to meditative practices, from sitting down breathing with your eyes closed, to walking in mindfulness. Eckhart has mentioned many times that you don't have to meditate in order to be present/awakened. That was the case for me. I didn't have to meditate to reach an awakened state. It happened by just letting go of thinking and surrendering to this moment right now. I didn't have to sit for hours and breathe.

You don't need a designated time slot to practice what Eckhart and many others before him have taught. Once you become aware of the stillness within, then awareness becomes an automatic practice. The only time to use it is when you are being caught once again the mind trap. But here it only takes a second to reenter stillness and you are once again back in presence.

Millions are awakening, but we just don't see it because the world is huge place.

Peace and peaceful practices are probably your best indicators on the stage of awakening. If you see peaceful practices around you (such as more people becoming interested in planting vegetable gardens or restoring biodiversity), then you are witnessing the awakening process. Peaceful practices are those that are not fueled by emotive reactions.

Peace and blessings,
Yidaki
"Wisdom comes with the ability to be still. Just look and just listen. No more is needed." ~ Eckhart Tolle
Yidaki

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion