I would like to be like E.T

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

I would like to be like E.T

Postby Marcell » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Why can`t this hapen to me? I would really like to not feel like shit any more why is this happening to some just as is and it seems I would have to do so much hard stuff to get inner peace. What if Eckhart would read this what would he tell a person that would have listened to his tapes over and over but it doenst get better and keeps being unbareabale to live
Marcell

Re: I would like to be like E.T

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 pm

It's likely that you won't stop feeling the way you do until you're okay with the way you feel no matter what it is. That's not to say you don't have a preference for feeling better, and for that matter, have an interest in taking steps to move in that preferable direction. It is to say that in the resistance to how you feel you give it energy and continue to recreate it.

My suggestion is to first see it as okay to feel the way you do. No judgment. No self condemnation. No self abuse. Just see it as the way things have unfolded based on the way you believe and how you focus your attention. Pay attention to those inner dialogs you have - the ones that pop up automatically. They reflect a lot of your core beliefs.

Next, decide to look for thoughts and ways of perceiving the events and conditions of your life in a way that feels good to you. Feeling is what matters in changing beliefs that will change experience. Make this a way of life - looking for thoughts and perceptions that feel good to you. Don't make a big deal out of it. Just choose to see things in ways that serve you (in the way you feel) instead of bringing you pain. It's all the same stuff. It's just the meaning that you apply to it that effects how some event or condition feels emotionally.

In time perceiving things in ways that serve you will become automatic and life will be a lot more fun. People will wonder what happened to you that you became such a happy person.

Of course meditation, or resting in clarity, and regaining a sense of your true nature as consciousness is important in living in peace with life rather than just plastering a happy face that is not truly how you feel. So know thy Self. That true Self is never in pain, never in judgment, and always at peace with the way things are.

It is your pain and frustration that blocks the clarity that is you. Following the above steps, or something like them, will settle you down enough to reconnect with who you Truly are. Making that connection conscious allows for more of your true nature to flow into you human perspective. Become ever more familiar with that sense of clear being through repetition and practice. Believe it. Feel it. Allow it to be so.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Marcell wrote:Why can`t this hapen to me?

It can.

Marcell wrote:it seems I would have to do so much hard stuff to get inner peace.

You have to break down all the hardened crap that you've built up over your inner peace. The effort of breaking through the crap vs. a life of living the crap ... which would you prefer?

Marcell wrote:What if Eckhart would read this what would he tell a person that would have listened to his tapes over and over but it doenst get better and keeps being unbareabale to live

I don't know what Eckhart would say. I'd say that looking outside yourself to find yourself is a tricky way of doing it. Even if you're looking at a well respected person like Eckhart, the best he can do is point you back to yourself. The answers you are looking for are in you, not in someone else.

Be still.
Take a deep breath.
Feel the breath.
Feel the stillness.
Feel the Present.
Repeat until you're Present all the time.

It might sound too simple to work, but just because something is simple doesn't mean it isn't difficult. Being Present enough to allow negative feelings and thoughts to be without resisting them is probably one of the greatest challenges anyone can face. But each time you do, you let go of some of that crap and let your light shine through.

Love
EnterZenFromThere

Postby Phil2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 pm

Marcell wrote:I would really like to not feel like shit any

Why use thought against you ? Why make it a torture instrument ?

I would recommend you the reading of "The Four Agreements" from Don Miguel Ruiz, this abusive use of thought against yourself is very well and clearly explained.
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby eaglestare » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:00 am

What I've done is combine advice from Taoist (from my tai chi practice), Buddhist (specifically Thich Nhat Hanh), and Eckart Tolle approaches. Simply stop and breathe, be still, and notice what is happening using your senses: What I see, what I smell, what I hear, what I feel, what I taste...like out in nature, drinking tea.

I once read an article about meditation that had three steps something like this: 1) Stop, 2) Shut up, 3) Be still ( and breathe). It had cartoon drawings to illustrate this, and it was kind of funny, but really true.

My tai chi instructor always says "do without doing", which means, don't try so hard. When it feels like it's difficult to relax, it's because we are trying too hard. Give yourself a break from your troubles, and "empty" the mind and focus on breathing and what you sense at that very moment.

I think what has helped me is to remind myself stop trying so hard, and just be. This part may not apply to you, but dogs have a way of just being, and our German shepherd dog was really good at reminding me to just be. So, I vowed I would always pay attention to the moment, and him, and I could really feel and appreciate his presence. Maybe if you have animals in your life, they could help you to just be, despite your life situation.
eaglestare

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:48 am

eaglestare wrote:What I've done is combine advice from Taoist (from my tai chi practice), Buddhist (specifically Thich Nhat Hanh), and Eckart Tolle approaches. Simply stop and breathe, be still, and notice what is happening using your senses: What I see, what I smell, what I hear, what I feel, what I taste...like out in nature, drinking tea.

I once read an article about meditation that had three steps something like this: 1) Stop, 2) Shut up, 3) Be still ( and breathe). It had cartoon drawings to illustrate this, and it was kind of funny, but really true.

My tai chi instructor always says "do without doing", which means, don't try so hard. When it feels like it's difficult to relax, it's because we are trying too hard. Give yourself a break from your troubles, and "empty" the mind and focus on breathing and what you sense at that very moment.

I think what has helped me is to remind myself stop trying so hard, and just be. This part may not apply to you, but dogs have a way of just being, and our German shepherd dog was really good at reminding me to just be. So, I vowed I would always pay attention to the moment, and him, and I could really feel and appreciate his presence. Maybe if you have animals in your life, they could help you to just be, despite your life situation.

Great post Eagle.

I have the same feeling about animals. Trees are also wonderfully Present.

A stressed colleague asked if I would take them to the park for lunch a couple of days ago and I mentioned this. I also mentioned how children are delightful because they remind us of being Present. And then, amazingly synchronously, we noticed a little boy a few feet away who was hiding his face behind the leaves of a tree. He played peek-a-boo with her, then threw leaves at her, then she threw leaves back, everyone laughing, then, without a second thought, he ran away and found some geese. My friend was noticeably lighter, and she was aware of her lightness, and how the child had helped. She has seemed like a different person since then. Children can be amazing teachers. Everything can be an amazing teacher if we let it.

Love,

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Postby karmarider » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:00 pm

Marcell wrote:Why can`t this hapen to me? I would really like to not feel like shit any more why is this happening to some just as is and it seems I would have to do so much hard stuff to get inner peace.

I started this journey with a reading of ET's PON and I felt this way for several years. It felt this journey to inner peace was frantic, urgent, and difficult. At some point I realized that this was just a belief. I now see that this journey is creative and enjoyable.

Part of the problem I think has to do with expectations. The spiritual world sets our expectations that there will be a sudden shift from suffering to joy, from ignorance to all-knowing. Perhaps, for some that's how it goes. For me it has been gradual.

In my experience, acceptance of whereever I think I am has been important. And all I really have to think about is the very next step--to look for and discern the thoughts and beliefs in me which help me to the next step.

What if Eckhart would read this what would he tell a person that would have listened to his tapes over and over but it doenst get better and keeps being unbareabale to live

I don't know what ET would say. What I say is to explore other teachings. Your next step, if it isn't already, will soon be clear to you.
karmarider

Postby beginnersmind » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Why do you want to be like Tolle? When you say that you want to be like someone else, you are saying you want to be the idea you have about someone else. It doesn't mean that it is that person's reality, only your idea of their reality. Not to mention it is resistance and denial of yourself.

Truth be told, I do not think Tolle is exactly as he presents himself and/or how many people perceive him. And after receiving an email that for the low low price of 1,300 dollars for tuition (whatever that means), I could listen to Tolle speak (the same thing he has been saying for years) for 5 days in Australia (not including airfare and hotel), I am kind of disillusioned of the "western spiritual movement", where it has just become another big business.

Tolle found a niche in this spiritual business by taking ideas, quotes, and specific language from sources such as J. Krishnamurti, William Samuel, A Course in Miracles, Buddhism, Gnosticism, some western philosophy, etc. and simplified these ideas into easy elementary reading.

But don't think Tolle is free of ego. With reports of some of his behavior behind the scenes and his trying to pass off some of his opinions as "enlightened" facts. Tolle is very human and hardly an avatar so to speak.

I do have to thank Tolle though. It was reading him and introducing me to spirituality that eventually led me to J. Krishnamurti, Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta Maharaj, The Dhammapada, William Samuel, A Course in Miracles, The Tao Te Ching, Sri Aurobindo, etc.
beginnersmind

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion