Negative vs positive thoughts...

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Negative vs positive thoughts...

Postby george_ionita » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:05 am

I've been trying to select in me mind as many positive thoughts as I could and keep being in the present moment. I realized that most of the time the bad thoughts come much easier in my mind than the positive ones................
Could someone try to explain me why is that?.....

Thanks
george_ionita

Re: Negative vs positive thoughts...

Postby Enlightened2B » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:08 am

Hey George,

Well, I'm sure you can get a variety of different responses from the Eckhart Tolle crowd as opposed to the positive thinking crowd. All are helpful.

Since you posted in the Eckhart Tolle section, I'll give you my take in relation to Eckhart's teachings. Simply watch your thoughts. Don't judge them as negative or positive. Eckhart Tolle's teachings are not about trying to gain positive thoughts while rejecting the negative thoughts. It's merely about observing your thoughts as a witness. When you try and try and try to only think certain thoughts (such as positive ones) while at the same time, trying not to think negative thoughts, you will in turn attract those negative thoughts since you're resisting them. Thoughts arise on their own. You have no control over which thoughts come up. However, you do have control over whether or not you choose to believe those thoughts. You are the awareness that watches the thoughts. So, it doesn't matter if the thoughts are positive or negative. Just allow them to be as they are. A good practice is to just surrender to whatever arises and simply embrace it with love. Negative thoughts arise? Beautiful, just watch them and allow it to be there. Positive thoughts arise? Watch them too, just like a train going by.

Check out 'Meditation, now or never' by Steve Hagen. Small little book and a very good resource for basic meditation. It helped me tremendously with this very same issue when I first started meditating. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Meditation-Now-Never-Steve-Hagen/dp/0061143294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413176790&sr=8-1&keywords=meditation+now+or+never
Enlightened2B

Postby Onceler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:11 pm

george_ionita wrote:I've been trying to select in me mind as many positive thoughts as I could and keep being in the present moment. I realized that most of the time the bad thoughts come much easier in my mind than the positive ones................

Thanks

My short answer is conditioning. We are taught to look at life through a lens of fear, therefore we unconsciously attract negative thoughts. Once we go deeply inward and see who we are, our true nature, the fear based psychology begins to unravel. We can then begin to chose where to put our attention.....on negative cognitive phenomonem or positive internal external phenomonem. This decision about where to put our attention, call it Mindfullness, meditation, etc., may be all we have as far as choice....not sure, but it can lead to a satisfying experience of life.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby george_ionita » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:06 am

Thanks Enlightened2B!
Thanks Thomas Paine!
george_ionita

Postby Phil2 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:01 pm

george_ionita wrote:I've been trying to select in me mind as many positive thoughts as I could and keep being in the present moment. I realized that most of the time the bad thoughts come much easier in my mind than the positive ones................

Thanks

Hello George,

I would recommend the reading of a small book called "The Four Agreements" from Don Miguel Ruiz, you can easily find a free pdf on the Internet via Google ... or of course buy this very cheap small book for less than 10 usd ...

Also a free audio of the book is available on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtM27AL3Sdw

The First Agreement is about being "impeccable with your word" which means not using bad words or gossip neither about others nor about you ... the author explains quite well and very simply the origin of our need to criticize others and ourselves too ... why we have built a false (second-hand) personality which brings no satisfaction in our life ...

You cannot 'force' a positive thinking as long as you don't understand the root of compulsive/negative thoughts and their toxicity.

Of course meditation can also lead you to this understanding, understanding and meditation feed each other.
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion