Reality Check

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Reality Check

Postby ashley72 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:29 pm

I've recently been watching a Reality TV show called "The Island" it's hosted by Bear Grylls.

It's basically a survival challenge, where 13 men with no prior survival knowledge are marooned on a tropical island and given a few basics tools to hunt with. One of their first challenges is to make fire without the aid of a cigarette lighter or matches...They need to start a fire so they can boil clean drinking water. This first survival challenge takes about 2 days for the men to conquer. It's interesting watching the morale of the men as they fail to achieve their goal on many attempts. They spend about 4 days without any food because they can't source any, the morale of the men really slumps to a all-time low. But it's very interesting to see how with increased life threatening hunger, the men start taking much greater risks to achieve food security for the group.

I would love to see a bunch of Spiritual (New age) teachers like Francis Lucille, Jean Klein, Adyashanti, Eckhart Tolle, Gangaji, Ramesh Baleskar, Lester Levenson, Robert Adams, William Samuel, Hale Dwoskin, James Swartz, Mooji, Ken Wilbur, Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, etc... All marooned on a island and be thrust into survival mode.

That would be a big reality check! :lol:
ashley72

Re: Reality Check

Postby rachMiel » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:18 pm

The story that I keep going back to is that of the enlightened Buddhist monk (Zen, I think) who left the monastery, moved under a bridge, and lived a simple life drawing no attention to himself.

That's the litmus test for true awakening, I think: Can you happily take up residence in everyday life, nothing extraordinary, no big charisma/whoop, no compulsion to hold forth on the conceptual underpinnings of enlightenment or reality ... just resting in simple natural being?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Manyana » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:07 pm

rachMiel wrote:The story that I keep going back to is that of the enlightened Buddhist monk (Zen, I think) who left the monastery, moved under a bridge, and lived a simple life drawing no attention to himself.

That's the litmus test for true awakening, I think: Can you happily take up residence in everyday life, nothing extraordinary, no big charisma/whoop, no compulsion to hold forth on the conceptual underpinnings of enlightenment or reality ... just resting in simple natural being?

Lovely post rachMiel, I agree, I think there is a real beauty contained in simplicity.
Manyana

Postby runstrails » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:24 pm

rM wrote: The story that I keep going back to is that of the enlightened Buddhist monk (Zen, I think) who left the monastery, moved under a bridge, and lived a simple life drawing no attention to himself.

Very nice. Totally agree. Reminds me of the end of 'Siddhartha' by Hesse. Flowing like a river in rhythm with life.

ashley wrote: I would love to see a bunch of Spiritual (New age) teachers like Francis Lucille, Jean Klein, Adyashanti, Eckhart Tolle, Gangaji, Ramesh Baleskar, Lester Levenson, Robert Adams, William Samuel, Hale Dwoskin, James Swartz, Mooji, Ken Wilbur, Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, etc... All marooned on a island and be thrust into survival mode.

Now that would make for 'must see TV'!
runstrails

Postby ashley72 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:11 am

rachMiel wrote:The story that I keep going back to is that of the enlightened Buddhist monk (Zen, I think) who left the monastery, moved under a bridge, and lived a simple life drawing no attention to himself.

Yes, but even more realistic is being thrust into a life and death survival situation where you need to fight really hard for your ownsurvival. One needs to set survival goals and be task driven to achieve those goals.

Where you need to hunt and kill animals for food security. If your in a group, You may even be in situation where your forced into competing with others for scarce food & clean water security.

Life isn't always in harmony, sometime events occur where self preservation becomes the most important aspect of ones life.
ashley72

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion