Doing or not doing ? Confused

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Doing or not doing ? Confused

Postby HeartVsEgo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:57 am

Hello friends sorry for my english,

Since 3 years im trying to understand what spiritual teachers trying to tell me. There are too many diffrent ways from different teachers. Some say do nothing, be quit. Some say stay in the "feeling" of presence. Some say its like a falling in the body/presence to awake. so when i hear stay in presence for example, it feels like effort.
Also there are strong emotions that always come back even if i let them be. I heared i have to let them be always, but there are no end. im getting tiered of them and desperate about when they will get disolve. Im starting wondering if im doing something wrong, like giving the emotions by "letting them be" too much energy. Should i give them room/letting them be or stop attach them. When the answer is stop doing anything, then my question is what is spirituality about. There are normal people who never heared of spirituality and they automatically dont do anything, so they are more spiritual in my eyes than spiritual practitioner.

Did you every heared or experience a inner falling ?? - my last question

Im very unhappy Pls help me....

Thank you friends
HeartVsEgo

Re: Doing or not doing ? Confused

Postby blissrunn14 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:08 am

I have also been very confused about that. They say don't do anything, don't put any effort into it yet say to be present and be aware of your feelings. I am not present and it takes effort to be aware because I am not aware lol. What I've done fairly recently is just be with my pain and emotions. When I feel bad I just relax in it and watch it almost like focus on it. At first it felt horrible and I mean horrible scary even, but the pain is gradually becoming less and less and coming less often after the initial hard hump. As for being present I don't know how to be present, the few times I have woken up for brief periods it came on it's own and left on it's own with no doing on my part. That kind of shows me I can't really make it happen. So, I have just been practicing watching and being aware of myself and it seems to slowly be helping, I am having little glimpses of things about myself and life I couldn't see before. I am also becoming a little less unhappy and my life long severe depression is gone (that's pretty significant for me). I still feel bad and get depressed, but it's less severe, less often and I have moments of mild contentment which I've never had before. I don't know if this helps.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I stopped trying to be or do anything and just watch and feel the emotions that rise up in me and watch myself reacting etc... I'm assuming perhaps that's what they mean by don't do anything.
blissrunn14

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:48 pm

HeartVsEgo wrote:Hello friends sorry for my english,

Since 3 years im trying to understand what spiritual teachers trying to tell me. There are too many diffrent ways from different teachers. Some say do nothing, be quit. Some say stay in the "feeling" of presence. Some say its like a falling in the body/presence to awake. so when i hear stay in presence for example, it feels like effort.
Also there are strong emotions that always come back even if i let them be. I heared i have to let them be always, but there are no end. im getting tiered of them and desperate about when they will get disolve. Im starting wondering if im doing something wrong, like giving the emotions by "letting them be" too much energy. Should i give them room/letting them be or stop attach them. When the answer is stop doing anything, then my question is what is spirituality about. There are normal people who never heared of spirituality and they automatically dont do anything, so they are more spiritual in my eyes than spiritual practitioner.

Also there are strong emotions that always come back even if i let them be. I heared i have to let them be always, but there are no end. im getting tiered of them and desperate about when they will get disolve.

Emotions are enormously valuable. They are gifts from our source being to let us know something of our alignment with our essential being. When we are in emotional pain, it's an indication that we are out of alignment with our true nature. When we are feeling happiness and joy and love of life, those emotions are indicating we are more in alignment with our true nature.

As to what to do with strong painful emotions while they are here, know that they have momentum. Just observe them in the context that they are telling you you are out of alignment (don't make it a wrong, we all go there), and resolve to think better of whatever event or condition stimulated them. Desperation to get them to dissolve will only give them more life. It's far better to see them as no big deal and move on with preferable subjects.

Most all of these pointers have value in their appropriate context. Trying to lump them all together and get some common understanding can be troublesome.
Some say do nothing, be quit [quiet].

When one is confused and their thoughts are running amok, being quiet is a first step toward gaining clarity. It's wise to practice getting (mentally) quiet and doing so on a regular basis - many times per day. In quiet one can see and (more importantly) feel clarity. It is in this quiet clarity that understanding of conditions can be recognized.

Some say its like a falling in the body/presence to awake. so when i hear stay in presence for example, it feels like effort.

At first there may be some effort, simply because we have become conditioned to constant activity in our thoughts. In time, with a little practice, it's more natural and seems more like resting. The key then is to 'rest' in quiet presence.

Also there are strong emotions that always come back even if i let them be. I heared i have to let them be always, but there are no end. im getting tiered of them and desperate about when they will get disolve.

Emotions are enormously valuable gifts from our true nature - our soul self. They are guides that tell us the quality of alignment we have with our true nature. There is no right or wrong here, only information that we can use to walk a happier, more joyful path in life. Painful emotions are indications that we have moved away in our perspective from that or our true nature. Joy and love and happiness are indications we are more in alignment.

This is powerful stuff if one uses it to their advantage. As to how to deal with powerful emotions, just observe them with the understanding that they are telling you something that is far more significant than whatever events caused them. They are gifts remember. They show us the way through our feelings that we can use to regain our natural state of peace and joy.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby HeartVsEgo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:54 am

Thank you for your answer. But im still asking myself one thing. Since a long time always when i wake up i start searching for emotions that block me. May it be that this is my problem ? Instead of searching the emotions i should relax in the field of presence and they will come automatically. OMG while im writing this i relaise what strange behaviour i developed by hearing always you have to "convert your feeling for more beingness". My primary route became converting and searching for blocked emotions, instead of understandning that they wanna show me that im out of my presence. i HOPE SOMEONE UNDERSTAND a bit of what im saying-

I love this community thank you for everything really
HeartVsEgo

Postby rachMiel » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:43 pm

HeartVsEgo wrote:Instead of searching the emotions i should relax in the field of presence and they will come automatically.

I think you're onto something HvE. :-) Resting in your present experience is a powerful practice. Resting ... meaning not judging, analyzing, resisting, trying to solve anything. Just experiencing.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:48 pm

I think there is more than just experiencing, although it likely has to start there. But to feel out what your emotions are telling you. What they are revealing. Not so much what they mean, because the meaning given to events and conditions may be what generated the emotions to start with. Rather how they are generated. How the reactive judgment we so easily give to what happens in our life often creates painful emotions that we get stuck in and only reinforce that which brings us pain.

That reactive judgment of course comes from our conditioning. It's the meaning we give and the beliefs we have adopted and thereby the 'truth' we experience. But beliefs are malleable, and so too then is truth as we see it. In the peace of presence awareness, free of judgment and simply observing, those emotions and their energetic movement through our consciousness becomes ever clearer. In that clarity we can begin to assign new meanings to events and change the 'truth' we experience to something we prefer.

There is no inherent meaning in life events - only the meaning we assign or adopt. Knowing this and becoming adept at its function brings life altering power to anyone who chooses to make use of it.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby rachMiel » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:49 pm

Webwanderer wrote:I think there is more than just experiencing,

Yes. Animals just experience (for the most part). Humans can do buncha more.

But resting in one's experience is a good one to have in your repertoire, wouldn't you say?
rachMiel

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 pm

rachMiel wrote:But resting in one's experience is a good one to have in your repertoire, wouldn't you say?

''I think there is more than just experiencing, although it likely has to start there.''

This was not sufficient acknowledgement? I'll try to do better.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby rachMiel » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:36 am

No need to try, for I have transcended "better" and "worse." (That's why they are in quotes, to demonstrate my transcendence.)

And, as far as acknowledgement goes ... who is there to acknowledge whom?

It's like my Lithuanian grandmother used to say:

Eat your kielbasa or it will go bad!

Thank you.

rachMiel of the Golden Greaves

:mrgreen:
rachMiel

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion