law of attraction and being present

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

law of attraction and being present

Postby songbird » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi Everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to read my post.

Do you think that practising Tolle's teachings and the law of attraction are compatible. The notion of "we become what we focus our mind on" is a very interesting one and I think it works, but is that the complete opposite of Tolle? does he agree with this type of thing. I have real trouble because im a fan of both, although I think I lean towards the law of attraction.

Doesn't he say to use your mind as a tool rather than let it use you and there is nothing wrong with setting goals and working towards them?

But doesn't he also say the now is all there is to accept it fully and do not become identified with external things?

I want to have a good income and I want to take my family around the world ect. How do I focus my mind on these things as goals while trying to stay present and not get wrapped up in thoughts?

Please give me your views, if anyone has something from Tolle explaining this that would be great!!
songbird

Re: law of attraction and being present

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:59 pm

songbird wrote:Do you think that practising Tolle's teachings and the law of attraction are compatible.

They are completely compatible. Tolle talks about waking up to our true nature. LoA is about how we draw experience to ourselves.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby David92506 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:10 am

From my understanding, Eckhart Tolle teaches us that we don't choose life, life chooses us. When we live in the now, our paths will be clear and true. I don't choose to be a teacher, doctor, etc., that career field chooses me.

Doesn't the LoA say we need to focus our energies on what we want, change our vibrations, and it will come to us? Isn't the LoA saying, "We choose life."?
David92506

Postby songbird » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:42 am

David92506 wrote:From my understanding, Eckhart Tolle teaches us that we don't choose life, life chooses us. When we live in the now, our paths will be clear and true. I don't choose to be a teacher, doctor, etc., that career field chooses me.

Doesn't the LoA say we need to focus our energies on what we want, change our vibrations, and it will come to us? Isn't the LoA saying, "We choose life."?

Im not sure? I know ive read him saying there is nothing wrong with setting goals and thats my issue, not the LOA in particular but just having a plan as to what you want to achieve.

One of my biggest ambitions is to take me and my family around the world and see every place possible! I would like to pursue that and other things without being worried that im being to identified with my ego or not being present.

So my real question is. Can we be focused on our goals but still be present and concious? if I just went ahead and did that and assumed it was effective would I be fooling myself?
songbird

Postby Onceler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:40 pm

I found the material in this thread to be helpful, and I think it addresses your question indirectly.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13074&p=120354#p120354
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby DavidB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:45 pm

You do whatever you feel you need to do, just do it consciously.

Toll'es advice would probably be to set goals of course, work toward them and be successful, do whatever you feel motivated to do. Nothing wrong with any of these things.

Tolle would probably only add, that creating inner "peace" is our primary objective, everything else is our life situations and secondary. Work toward your goals but always bear in mind that if those goals don't eventuate for whatever reason, then that new situation has 3 choices.

1) Change the situation if you can, 2) Move away or leave the situation, 3) If you cannot do either 1 or 2, then accept the situation totally.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby beginnersmind » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:39 pm

​It depends. I'm hesitant about LOA, because often times it comes from a very egocentric point of view. What's in it for me. Attract this to me, that to me, etc.

The thing about LOA is that there is truth in it. We can see it in a very practical sense that when we are kind to other people, we find them (usually) being kind back to us. There is also what is known in psychology/sociology as the self fulfilling prophecy, in which beliefs lead to behaviors which bring results. Often times this can be seen in the negative in which a person believes that they cannot do something or are not smart enough, which leads to beliefs and behaviors that then confirm or validate this initial belief.

Our thoughts definitely influence our lives and our environments, but to think that we can completely create the world around us is naive and childish. It also predisposes that the world revolves around us and us alone. The idea that I can attract getting to work quickly by making all the lights turn green just in time for me so that I am not late for work, is the idea that no one else will be affected by this. Of course, this is ridiculous, because we live in relationship in truth. There is also the idea that I can go get the best parking spot by thinking about it and focusing my attention. Again, this is predisposed that the universe bows to my wishes. And in the event that coincedentally it does happen (and of course it will, whether we believe in LOA or not), it then "confirms" the idea that the universe did bow to my wishes. Never mind the many other times I didn't get that stellar parking spot. The mind that really wants to believe in LOA, a la "The Secret", will conveniently repress these memories.

Here's an example of someone believing that they were going to attract something devastating happening in their lives right after 9-11. This person said that after 9-11, that they always saw 9-11 when looking at a clock and they felt they were seeing some type of future where something devastating was going to happen. Spooky!

Well there is a more rational explanation for this and anyone that has taken any psychology will know that the mind will record, and burn them in the mind, events which are life altering and/or devastating. It's not that the person was constantly seeing 9-11 when looking at the clock. They probably looked at the clock all the time, but the mind never took much notice. It is only when they coincidentally looked at the clock when it was 9:11 that the mind made a conscious note of it, since these numbers were associated with a devastating event that took place in this person's life time.

Tolle talks about LOA and playing with form, but to identify with the external as making the internal happy is an outside-inside way of being. It will ultimately fail. Especially, if trying to practice LOA a la "The Secret" as that is just spiritualized greed. In practicing any kind of LOA, it is best to remember that you are in relationship with the universe and your fellow man. So it is not just about you. The universe is not your private genie in the bottle.
beginnersmind

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Beginnersmind, your post here on LoA shows little understanding of its true nature. LoA is about the vibratory nature of individualized consciousness and its natural resonance with Universal energy. The quality of vibrations inherent in any conscious perspective is creative as it attracts the natural flow of life energy into the life experience of the one holding the vibrational quality. LoA has nothing to do with right or wrong, it merely adds energetic strength to the focus of our attention.

Yes or no is not the determinate. In a sense there is only yes. Focus, whether enthusiastic or fearful, are equally creative. Of course mixed bags of thought and attention bring mixed results. That is where most of us live in consciousness - mixed bags of thought and attention. Trained minds (rather than entrained) get more of desired results of intentional focus. But it's our underlying beliefs that hold the most sway, and they don't change so easily.

Greed, or judgments of greed, are only relevant from an experiential perspective. LoA has no preferential interest in individual choices of greed or altruism. It feeds all indiscriminately. It is after all, an experimental and exploratory universe. All experience has value. LoA is how energy flows behind and into creativity of all kinds.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby beginnersmind » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Having gone through my phase of LOA and reading books like:

Think and Grow Rich

a bunch of Abraham-Hicks books

The Master Key System

The Secret

The Secret of the Ages etc. etc. etc.

That have distorted the teachings of authors such as Emerson and Thoreau.

I'm pretty familiar with LOA. So you can keep defending LOA as you have before, but it won't change my mind about it and what I consider to be flawed egocentric thinking often excluding relationship in favor of me me me.

But don't tell me how little understanding I have of it because you don't like what I have to say about it. By many accounts Esther Hicks (who channels these so called Abraham entities) has been very rude, curt, and sometimes downright nasty to people in her audience since the death of her husband Jerry (who BTW attributed a lot of success to reading "Think and Grow Rich") who died of Leukemia.

Did he attract Leukemia to himself? According to their best selling books, he must have. The people who have the most success at this new age LOA seem to be the ones writing the books on the subject and selling tickets to seminars and/or retreats. Well except for that LOA Ray guy, his retreat cost him jail time.
beginnersmind

Postby beginnersmind » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:02 pm

Just to add to the original poster. If you're looking to LOA, a book that you may like is called, "The Alchemy of Abundance" by Rick Jarow. He emphasizes relationship in LOA.
beginnersmind

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:14 pm

You express a certain belief perspective and that belief is demonstrated in your critique. No doubt LoA has assisted your perspective and belief development. How many books you have read does not suggest understanding of LoA. Your words however, do. LoA is not primarily about getting stuff and expressing greed as you suggest. That's like saying the interstate highway system was built to get to the rest stops. While the stops may be there, they are not the true purpose of the system. If one's goal is the beach, the fact that it was not to be found at the rest stop does not negate how the highway system functions nor its capability to take one to their desired destination. Exploration of LoA is about understanding how life conditions unfold.

As to Jerry Hicks, what do you know of his core beliefs? What do you even know of your own? What we profess is secondary to what we deeply believe. Lots of people claim a belief with stated certainty yet fear the opposite. So what then is the real belief? Which holds sway?

Your physical conscious mind, and mine, are but a fragment of our greater mind that has far greater clarity on the purpose of this physical existence than do we in our physically focused limitation. Quality alignment often provides insight but originating clarity is another matter likely beyond this human perspective.

LoA is not a new concept. It's likely just the name is. Jesus taught it. So did many others. Equating it to just its smallest expression like getting stuff does not offer a fair hearing and only serves to distort the larger picture.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby beginnersmind » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:12 pm

WW,

Whenever it comes to LOA, you're always hyper sensitive and so quick to defend it. If you read what I initially wrote, you'd see that I didn't make it is an always statement as in:

​"It depends. I'm hesitant about LOA, because often times it comes from a very egocentric point of view. What's in it for me. Attract this to me, that to me, etc."

The thing about LOA is that there is truth in it.

Our thoughts definitely influence our lives and our environments, but to think that we can completely create the world around us is naive and childish.

The mind that really wants to believe in LOA, a la "The Secret", will conveniently repress these memories.

Tolle talks about LOA and playing with form, but to identify with the external as making the internal happy is an outside-inside way of being. It will ultimately fail. Especially, if trying to practice LOA a la "The Secret" as that is just spiritualized greed. In practicing any kind of LOA, it is best to remember that you are in relationship with the universe and your fellow man. So it is not just about you. The universe is not your private genie in the bottle.

Eric: As you see, I said there is truth in LOA that can even be seen in a practical sense. I'm hesitant because often times (NOT ALL THE TIME) the person is looking from a me standpoint.

And I spoke of the spiritual greed of LOA from a la "The Secret" stand point which is spiritualized greed. I also recommended another book on the subject.

I also said that Tolle spoke of it, but we shouldn't try to find happiness from the outside in, as that would fail.

RELAX
beginnersmind

Postby Maga » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:23 am

Webwanderer wrote: what do you know of his core beliefs? What do you even know of your own? What we profess is secondary to what we deeply believe. Lots of people claim a belief with stated certainty yet fear the opposite. So what then is the real belief? Which holds sway?
WW

WW, do you think we have any chance to change our beliefs at all? And if - how??? I see LOA working in my life. I see it working in lifes of others. Perfecty working. But I have never seen someone being able to use it deliberatly. Including myself. What we believe will happen - happens. And we believe what our parents tought us or what our brain chemicals allow, what God wants, I dont know... Maybe it is part of a bigger plan to suffer through the life (or just to learn full acceptance) but where is then this "playing with form" here on this planet? I have the feeling I am the one, someone/something is playing with...
Maga

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:46 am

beginnersmind wrote:It depends. I'm hesitant about LOA, because often times it comes from a very egocentric point of view. What's in it for me. Attract this to me, that to me, etc.

So while you have concerns about LoA as you perceive it described in "The Secret", (I am no advocate of The Secret, nor do I condemn it) because you worry about people using its guidance to advance what you see as greed, the universe itself makes no such distinction. It's just the way creation works. It would seem that the Universe/Source has confidence in its conscious perspectives to make use of experience - all experience - in the evolution of consciousness and being.

While some may judge greed as wrong, the universe itself sees it as just another experience. Understand, judgment of another's path and choices is not wrong either. It's likely just a step in the direction of greater understanding through recognizing its problematic course without recognizing the problems inherent in the judgment. I tend to address these points, not so much to defend what needs no defense, but to bring clarity where LoA is described in limitation. Clarity it would seem, is always a good thing. And when an issue such as LoA is pointed to in a limited, one sided manor, I see it as beneficial to whoever may read it to get a more inclusive picture of the subject.

I really have little trepidation on the matter. Been seeing it for far too long.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby David92506 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:41 am

Maga wrote:
Webwanderer wrote: what do you know of his core beliefs? What do you even know of your own? What we profess is secondary to what we deeply believe. Lots of people claim a belief with stated certainty yet fear the opposite. So what then is the real belief? Which holds sway?
WW

WW, do you think we have any chance to change our beliefs at all? And if - how??? I see LOA working in my life. I see it working in lifes of others. Perfecty working. But I have never seen someone being able to use it deliberatly. Including myself. What we believe will happen - happens. And we believe what our parents tought us or what our brain chemicals allow, what God wants, I dont know... Maybe it is part of a bigger plan to suffer through the life (or just to learn full acceptance) but where is then this "playing with form" here on this planet? I have the feeling I am the one, someone/something is playing with...

I realize that your question was directed at a certain person. It's hard to change or belief systems. I hope that this link helps in understanding how to change our beliefs. I would also appreciate your feedback. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTd2Im5_KjE
David92506

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion