studying Eckhart and being an Atheist

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

studying Eckhart and being an Atheist

Postby songbird » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi

What are your opinions on studying Tolle's teachings while being an Athiest?

He says he does not belong to any particular religion but quotes Jesus a lot?

So does he actually believe that Jesus existed?

I personally am an atheist but I do like Tolle's message.

Thank you
songbird

Re: studying Eckhart and being an Atheist

Postby powerbowler » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Spirituality is a word to describe natural laws that have not yet been discovered .
powerbowler

Postby kiki » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:29 pm

What are your opinions on studying Tolle's teachings while being an Athiest?

Nothing wrong with that. Being awake isn't about beliefs, it's about knowing who/what you are. Beliefs can just get in the way, especially if they are bound tightly to your identity.

He says he does not belong to any particular religion but quotes Jesus a lot?

Lots of people in history have said inspiring and insightful things, so why not use those to help bring out points you are trying to make? He's also quoted other spiritual teachers from other traditions as well.

So does he actually believe that Jesus existed?

I don't know. It doesn't matter to me.

I personally am an atheist but I do like Tolle's message.

Good. I think one of the strengths of his message is that it is applicable to everyone.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby DavidB » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:52 am

I sometimes describe myself as an atheist. It doesn't really matter to me though, it's only a label, not an identity.

You cannot actually be an atheist though, as a-theism, is the absence of a belief, not a belief in or of itself. So I call myself an atheist (tongue in cheek), in a strictly literal sense. I do not have or hold any belief in God or any other deity. In this sense, it is not a doing but rather a completely not doing, an un-being so to speak, and therefore nothing at all to label or be identified with, even though I still use that term, but not very often.

I personally do not believe Jesus (Yeshua) to have been a real historical character in history. I tend to think of Jesus as a conglomeration of characters, some actual events, and some creative writing. However, even if Jesus is fictional, that does not mean that some of what he said or represented, does not still contain elements of truth. Eckhart uses these truths in his talks, and also truths from many other human characters, real and fictional.

I find there to be no inconsistency in gaining wisdom from Tolle's words and also being an atheist.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby songbird » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Thank you for your replies.

That's why I have a bit of an issue with this type of thing.
I think do get genuine benefits from mindfulnesses and meditation. Although I'm in very early days I hope I will get better with practice.

But I am a practical rational person. I absolutely do not believe in gods and angels or energy's and crystals ect I suppose its the stigma attached of this sort of thing (im not saying Eckhart does or doesn't)

I am a lot more comfortable looking at it all from a scientific point of view. I see it as a technique on a different way to use my mind (or not use it depending on which way you look at it)

When Eckhart starts talking about tapping into the un-manifested and going through portals, that's when I start switching off.

I hope I can still get the benefits without buying into some of what he says I suppose if it works for me then it works!

What do you think.

Thanks.
songbird

Postby kiki » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:34 pm

You are under no obligation to believe everything he says. Lots of people will ignore everything he has to say if there is one thing they disagree with. No sense in throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Use what's most beneficial from ET's teachings and drop the rest.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby DavidB » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:36 am

Eckhart uses a lot of pointers to point at the truth of existence. If you don't like Eckharts pointers, then use pointers of your own.

Science is a pointer as good as any other pointer, so if that's how you prefer to find the truth of existence, then that's perfectly fine.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby viking55803 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:52 pm

A-theism is not the lack of belief, just the lack of belief in theistic memes. Strong atheism is, in fact, an affirmative belief that there are NO gods, period. We don't choose our beliefs, they simply are what they are - based on experience, custom, habit or whatever. Beliefs can change, of course, but I totally reject the notion of non-believer. In fact, I find it derogatory, dehumanizing, and insulting. I am not agnostic, I truly believe there are no gods - that this is simply a human thought creation to explain what can't be explained in other ways, or for comfort.

As a lifelong atheist, or at least the past 50+ years, I can say that I embrace Eckart Tolle's teaching without reservations. In fact, he defines the "spiritual dimension" as consciousness itself. This is almost precisely the same as the teaching of the Buddha, who was as far as I can tell, an atheist himself.
viking55803

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion