Eckhart And Meditation

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Eckhart And Meditation

Postby David92506 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:36 pm

I have a friend who has read all of Eckhart Tolle books and he says that just meditating 30 minutes everyday is worthless unless you carry that mindful experience into daily life. Do you believe that if one meditates 30 minutes everyday but doesn't carry mindfulness into daily life, that person is just wasting his/her time?
David92506

Re: Eckhart And Meditation

Postby matt74ike » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:11 pm

It's not a waste of time. It's a great first step into realisation that all that matters is a little gap. If you naturally put a little gap before every thought, every emotion then you realise you don't need 30 min meditation. It's not about discipline it's about common sense, life is smooth when you're here and now. It's not a problem if you dive into the mind - you'll always know where to come back. Then you just smile.
Maciej
We know about ourselves
only what we've been tested
[Wislawa Szymborska, poet]
matt74ike

Postby dijmart » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:08 am

Forgive me, but my first thought was this reminds me of the folks who go to church for 2 hrs a week, then never think of it again until next Sunday..lol.

I think if one is going to sit down for formal meditation daily, why wouldn't they also want to bring it forth for the rest of the day as much as possible? That's the true test of progress. How are life's daily challenges met? Love or fear? Mindful insights can come through the daily challenges and any adjustments can be made consciously.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby kiki » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:27 pm

I meditated twice daily for 27 years and it didn't really have much impact other than instilling a certain discipline into my life. It also became the center piece of my identity. Ironically, it didn't really carry over into my daily life until I came across Tolle, when insight into who/what I am arose. My whole perspective changed almost overnight, and when it did a "meditative" silence percolated into daily activities.

Mindfulness throughout the day then arose in a most natural way. My daily sitting practice pretty much stopped. But now, however, I see the value of keeping a meditation practice in my daily routine. Meditation now is more like "marinating" in consciousness instead of being used as a means to an end.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby David92506 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:27 pm

kiki wrote:I meditated twice daily for 27 years and it didn't really have much impact other than instilling a certain discipline into my life. It also became the center piece of my identity. Ironically, it didn't really carry over into my daily life until I came across Tolle, when insight into who/what I am arose. My whole perspective changed almost overnight, and when it did a "meditative" silence percolated into daily activities.

Mindfulness throughout the day then arose in a most natural way. My daily sitting practice pretty much stopped. But now, however, I see the value of keeping a meditation practice in my daily routine. Meditation now is more like "marinating" in consciousness instead of being used as a means to an end.

Do you believe that the personal growth that you went through, the good fortune that came across in your life, was due to your meditation practice? If you didn't meditate, do you believe you would be the same person as you are today?
David92506

Postby kiki » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Do you believe that the personal growth that you went through, the good fortune that came across in your life, was due to your meditation practice? If you didn't meditate, do you believe you would be the same person as you are today?

I think meditation helped "ripen" me for waking up. I had come across similar ideas to Tolle's but I didn't really "get it" until I read him. If I hadn't meditated it's impossible to say what I'd be like today. The biggest difference is seeing/realizing what I am. My personality is pretty much the same.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion