Acceptance/Surrender

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Postby ECM » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:45 pm

What a wonderful simple idea that is, and we are so blind to it. Somebody has to tell us - You live now in the present moment

yes.

I am almost done with the Audio and ET talks about surrender.. I don't know about anybody else but I feel that sureender and acceptance are one in the same thing almost exactly.

Anyone- please feel free to clear this up for me if I am incorrect in the points that ET is trying to make.

Peace and Stillness,
ECM
[/quote]
ECM

Postby summer » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:10 pm

I don't know about anybody else but I feel that sureender and acceptance are one in the same thing almost exactly.

They feel like the same thing to me also.

Surrender, one could say, is the inner transition from resistance to acceptance, from "no" to "yes"
When you surrender, your sense of identity shifts from being identified with a reaction or mental judgement to being the space around the reaction or judgement. It is a shift from identification with form -- the thought or emotion-- to being and recognizing yourself as that which has no form--- spacious awareness.

from Stillness Speaks p. 72
summer

Postby heidi » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:30 pm

I did my moderating duty, and created this new topic in General named Acceptance/Surrender since the thread had evolved into a discussion beyond intro I think this is a good discussion topic. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby ECM » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:00 am

Good deal Heidi :)

That is the feeling that I got- But I appreciate how ET reinerates these concepts-
Although some of these concepts are complex - he reinterates wonderfully.
ECM

Postby heidi » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:06 pm

For many, the word surrender has the sting of wounded ego or "losing" the battle, giving in... But I have noticed in recent years, in spiritual talk, it's all about acceptance, saying yes to what is. So much of our language is based on outdated ideas, war-related, conflict-related, and we can hear those ideas dying like the ego as our language changes to be one of acceptance. :)
Heidi
heidi

Surrender

Postby michal » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:49 pm

"Surrender" sounds so... humiliating in a way, to me. It IS offending my ego, specifically for the fact that I've been involved in the bdsm lifestyle a while back, and back then 'surrender' marched side by side with 'submission', and that was something that occured on a daily basis. So the whole concept still seems degrading to me, therefore I find Acceptance much easier to deal with, and much more respectful, I guess.

Brainwashes of the mind, huh? :oops:
michal

Postby a_friend » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:49 pm

Hey! That is exactly what comes to my mind too when I think "surrender". Maybe that's why it comes so easy for me ;) Anyway, if "acceptance" works better for you then that is cool, but I wouldn't put too much stock into your thoughts or memories or whatever happens to come to mind at any given moment.

I don't know about yours, but my head is completely freakin nuts. It will think of the most random things for no particular reason. And it gets off in some really weird, twisted, and sick ways. For example, I remember being at a bar in Portugal a couple years ago and I met this really cute girl who was telling me this story and then she told me about how she just broke up with her boyfriend. And then she started crying and I actually started to get aroused! I was sitting there watching my thoughts and I heard another voice say "what kind of sick bastard are you?" But I know those crazy thoughts are not really me, they just come from some silly ego who knows he's already seen his prime and is on the way out. In the end, every ego is sick and insane and (fortunately for us) dying, so there's not much point in taking it very seriously.

I thought I'd share that with you guys just in case you were starting to think I was cool ;)
a friend
a_friend

Postby summer » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:29 am

:lol: I still think you are cool, a friend. :lol:

On a more serious note, I think that the sense of humiliation comes when we mistakenly think that we have to accept the particular situation that we are resisting. Surrendering to the Isness of Now is totally different. We are reconnecting with a sense of spaciousness, which is actually a very delightful feeling. A shift in identity is happening within ourselves that makes the situation we are in much easier to deal with.

What I find is that when I most want to surrender, I am not able to make the shift. When the shift happens it almost as if it sneaks up on me. And all of a sudden I will realise that I feel light and free again
summer

Postby Triple T » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:22 am

Surrender is a double edged sword that feels like defeat but also release.
I could seldom remember to surrender it seems, I usually find myself resisting a person, a situation, a feeling, a thought, and then later I'll think, Oh I was resisting then. I'll surrender next time.
The thing that became an Aha for me was one day the thought occured - what if I could just say thank you to every thing that occured. It became more like an active surrender, where I was saying yes instead of just accepting. I think Eckhart calls it allowing. Allowing every moment to arise whatever it is. When that happens it does take the edge off, like you say Summer and seems less disturbing or troubling.
Triple T

Postby heidi » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:24 am

Hey Michal -
I find Acceptance much easier to deal with, and much more respectful, I guess.

Exactly what I was saying about the kind of karmic /historical energy of the word.

I actually have abig problem with the word God. How dare humans and their egos create this good guy in their image to represent Being. I see all of this changing. I see mankind shifting to where surreneder means acceptance, and god means Being.
:) they don't have an angel emoticon, so I'll just stick with a smile :)
Heidi
heidi

Postby gina » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:15 pm

Last edited by gina on Sat May 06, 2006 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gina

Postby chaz » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:50 pm

I cannot help but think that Tolle would respond....is that your experience Gina?
Chaz
chaz

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion