Poll: What motivated your "spiritual seeking" ?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Poll: What motivated your "spiritual seeking" ?

Postby painBody » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 am

We all know that words are never precise when it comes to spirituality, so, allowing for non-exactness, what in your life (or "life situation") motivated you to seek answers spiritually ? And, you don't have to be a Tolle follower.

To be honest, I've been on this site for a while, and I realize that I hardly know anyone here ... on the level of form, that is :lol: And, I would really like to get to know some of you a bit more. It also provides a bit of context when someone posts a response ... it helps to know "where they're coming from".

Your answer can be as concise or verbose, as specific or vague, as you'd like. You can talk about any relevant life events/situations, pleasant, unpleasant, or anywhere in between.

Thank you ... really.
God, grant me the humility to accept the things I cannot understand, the creativity to utilize the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
painBody

Re: Poll: What motivated your "spiritual seeking" ?

Postby eputkonen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 pm

What motivated my spiritual seeking was the search for Truth. Even as a young boy, I was curious about the world and felt there was something more. In grade school and high school, my English papers were about paranormal topics - ESP, ghosts, aliens, etc. I was raised in very rural northern Minnesota, where religion was a private matter and not spoken about. My family was not religious, never went to church, nor spoke of such topics. And so, I had no ideas of religion or spirituality when I graduated high school. A rare blank slate in that regard. When I started junior college, I met someone who had a lot of interesting books. He brought me to a weekly meditation group. The first book he lent me was "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda. I even started taking the by-mail lessons by SRF. I was 18 when I started the spiritual seeking, because I was finding out about a lot of things that existed and yet few seemed to know or care about it. I was on the spiritual search for the next 13 years and devoured thousands of books on all sorts of spiritual topics. I wanted to find out who I was and the nature of reality...out of curiosity rather than some need. I just wanted to know.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com
eputkonen

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:39 pm

I had lots of deja vues in my teen years. Something about them told me that life wasn't what it appeared to be, that there was some deeper reality that superseded worldly appearances. I developed a love for science fiction and paranormal subjects as they seemed the only source of information that took such possibilities seriously.

Then in 1971 I read Robert Monroe's Journeys Out of the Body. That permanently kick-started a search for a greater understanding into the nature of life and being. Of course I explored many religions over several years - Christianity mostly - but also Buddhism, Sufi, and Vedanta. There were also many books (including Auto Biography of a Yogi) and numerous teachers that were significant steps in the growth of my perspective.

Some of the very best insights by far came, throughout the years, through the study of NDE's/TDE's and OBE's. Of course the common theme through all the external information is the internal insights gained into the nature of Life and the evolution of consciousness. I once prayed very deeply and passionately to understand the mechanics of how life worked. Be careful what you ask for. You can find yourself very much alone in this human experience.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby runstrails » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 pm

WW wrote: I once prayed very deeply and passionately to understand the mechanics of how life worked. Be careful what you ask for. You can find yourself very much alone in this human experience.

Thanks for describing this so well. I think many of us can relate.
runstrails

Postby painBody » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 pm

^ Both of you ... thanks for sharing.

Eric - Thousands of books ... wow ! I remember earlier discussions with you and getting the impression that you're very well read.

WW - Deja vues and NDEs ... interesting. You also made one point that kind of sent chills down my spine, perhaps because it describes my experience eerily well - "You can find yourself very much alone in this human experience." But, interestingly, I was alone long before my seeking began. And, like you said, obtaining answers definitely heightened my sense of aloneness a thousandfold. Were you implying that the answers we seek spiritually, and the resultant awakening, can set us farther apart from the crowd because we see the world so differently ?

The common link between the two of you seems to be curiosity and interest in the paranormal. And, both of you like to read, and have been seeking for (apparently) decades. I find it intriguing. My own experience has been in stark contrast to both of yours ... my seeking has been motivated almost entirely by unbearable suffering ("need" as Eric put it), as opposed to curiosity.

Again, thanks for sharing.
God, grant me the humility to accept the things I cannot understand, the creativity to utilize the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
painBody

Postby eputkonen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 pm

painBody wrote:Eric - Thousands of books ... wow ! I remember earlier discussions with you and getting the impression that you're very well read.

I forget more and more every day. :wink:

I had a huge library at one point. I have been trimming it down for years. The past couple years I have been re-reading the ones I am thinking about keeping to see if they are worth keeping...now I am down to only three dozen books. I think about half of those may be gone by year end (once I re-read them).

After all that reading, I can say the answer was not found in the books.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com
eputkonen

Postby painBody » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:50 pm

eputkonen wrote:After all that reading, I can say the answer was not found in the books.

:)
painBody

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 am

painBody wrote:WW - Deja vues and NDEs ... interesting. You also made one point that kind of sent chills down my spine, perhaps because it describes my experience eerily well - "You can find yourself very much alone in this human experience." But, interestingly, I was alone long before my seeking began. And, like you said, obtaining answers definitely heightened my sense of aloneness a thousandfold. Were you implying that the answers we seek spiritually, and the resultant awakening, can set us farther apart from the crowd because we see the world so differently ?

I think you have it pretty much right here. Most people throughout my life experience have tended to take the world at face value. And that value is one built around their own concept of self-identification and how the world effects that perception. Even those with a religious perspective tend to see separation in all things physical. If I must give full disclosure, I also still tend to see life through a sense of physical identification. Old habits die hard.

That said, I also have a clear sense of life from another, larger, perspective that is one of inclusion. One that sees that every life expression is a component of Self and of exploration for a greater Conscious Beingness that is eternal, wise, loving and appreciative.

What I mean is that when I choose to quiet this habitually active mind, a clarity from a larger perspective becomes available. It's taken a good deal of time to make it easily accessible, and no doubt there is still much to be done, but it's now a source of freedom from my own habitual identification. This forum, among a good deal of other opportunities, has been a great resource for attuning to that higher nature where insight is born.

Anyway, back to the aloneness. People who live from a strictly human perspective can be difficult relationships for someone who does not agree with whatever certainties seem to rule their belief systems. Certainly challenging. The younger you are, while knowing something of a higher perspective, the more difficult it can be. It often takes a few years before a soul matures enough to consider the deeper nature of being. Idealism and pessimism tend to rule much of the youthful mind. Not everyone of coarse, but enough to make lots of friendships unlikely. I suggest going to places and taking classes where those of common interests can be found. A couple of really good friends where a natural bond is present is far better than lots of
relationships that require intense maintanence.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby dijmart » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:27 am

You know me PB... anyways, I wasn't raised religous which I'm grateful. I started out with the afterlife stuff and that was all fine and good, but only brought me so far.
It wasn't until my suicide attempt in 2009 that I got a serious about spirituality. Tolle saved my life. Since then, Vedanta, but recently I've gotten a hard hit...and am in a state of grief that I've not yet recovered from.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby meetjoeblack » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:33 am

painBody wrote:We all know that words are never precise when it comes to spirituality, so, allowing for non-exactness, what in your life (or "life situation") motivated you to seek answers spiritually ? And, you don't have to be a Tolle follower.

To be honest, I've been on this site for a while, and I realize that I hardly know anyone here ... on the level of form, that is :lol: And, I would really like to get to know some of you a bit more. It also provides a bit of context when someone posts a response ... it helps to know "where they're coming from".

Your answer can be as concise or verbose, as specific or vague, as you'd like. You can talk about any relevant life events/situations, pleasant, unpleasant, or anywhere in between.

Thank you ... really.

Death. I had a series of traumas in my life. I experienced death and suffering at a young age. I started to get curios. I looked into self help like Tony Robbins. I came across Dan Millman and Ecky. The combo have really helped me handle the problems life presents to me.
meetjoeblack

Postby Onceler » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:23 am

Pain and suffering. Wanting it to end.
"When the fear is gone, the mind becomes much quieter, much less full of things. Thoughts become like a gentle rain rather than a thunderstorm." John Sherman
Onceler

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion