Philosophical Skepticism as refutation of rationalism

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
jtightlips21

Philosophical Skepticism as refutation of rationalism

Post by jtightlips21 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:48 am

Since from the Epistemic level, for every explanation, there is a possible alternative. Then there is no way of knowing that what you know is accurate. Every answer to a question always has the possibility of a question and so on ad infinitum. When it comes to possible alternatives, the materialist and the spiritualist have two different answers to the nature of reality, but neither can truly prove that their answer is true while the other is false. I have found myself frustrated with the nature of rationality in not always giving satisfactory answers to the big questions, and the inherent indifference to ideals rationality has. So I had an interesting insight asking how can the mind be so sure that it is the supreme form of knowing?

turiya

Re: Philosophical Skepticism as refutation of rationalism

Post by turiya » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 am

jtightlips21 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:48 am
how can the mind be so sure that it is the supreme form of knowing?
Because it doesn't know any better. :D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

jukai

Re: Philosophical Skepticism as refutation of rationalism

Post by jukai » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 am

I think that the only true test for truth is experience. Only when you live it do you truly know it.

We can repeat, like a broken record, "Life is in the present moment." But that doesn't prove true till it is actually lived or experienced.

When you build a new bridge with the goal of adding a new railroad track on it, you perform load calculations and check and double check them to ensure safety. But you don't truly know anything till you actually run a freight train through it and the bridge doesn't collapse.

What is lived, i.e. what actually happens, is the truth. Everything else is theory, speculation, estimation, approximation, etc.

In other words your knowledge is not true until it is (proves) true for you.