Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
C B

Post by C B » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Where in the western part of the world do you think the most conscious people live?
Or highest percentage of people who are conscious?

ThatAwareness

Re: Location

Post by ThatAwareness » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 am

An interesting question that would require lots of empirical data. The closest personality trait that is commonly tested I closest to consciousness is low/no neuroticism. The only correlation I’ve read is there is a negative correlation between neuroticism and age. So perhaps areas with lots of retirees and elderly would be the most “conscious”. Anecdotally it seems that elders are the majority in spiritual conferences and events.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:29 pm

C B wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:59 pm
Where in the western part of the world do you think the most conscious people live?
Or highest percentage of people who are conscious?
My guess would be the local cemetery. :wink:

WW

C B

Post by C B » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Empirical data would be difficult to come by I think, but maybe possible.
It is a good question about how you would determine it.

The elderly are a mixed bag. They have some things that would encourage consciousness, but other things that would discourage it.
They have a lot of past experiences to draw an identity from and jump to conclusions from but then again they are confronted more to their mortality with their death being so near.

I wonder where Eckhart's biggest audiences are vs population size?
He gives a talk soon in Rhinebeck, NY. A population of just almost 8,000 people. Pretty small compared
to most of the cities on his tours...but then NYC isn't that far away either. And it's at a retreat center (Omega Institute) that provides accommodations. But maybe the Omega Institute has a noticeable influence on its surroundings.

There seems to be a growing momentum of psychedelic-assisted therapy & research on the west coast.
These experiences do tend to enlighten people, dissolving egos. Ram Dass still references his psychedelic experiences till this day.
So perhaps San Fransisco? Or some towns in Oregon or Washington State?

C B

Post by C B » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:55 am

Where do you live?

Perhaps if people wrote where they live, we could see a tiny survey of people at least interested in this question.

I live in Berlin, Germany.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:44 pm

I'm not sure the elderly in particular can be seen as more conscious than the rest of us. This is the generation that have likely lived through world war 2 and traumatic experiences doesn't always lead to increased awareness, very often the opposite is the case. In contrast I think a lot more people are being born spiritually aware in recent years, but in all honesty it's probably just a mixed bag across the ages.

I live in the UK and there's definitely a strong interest in living more consciously, but obviously larger and more diverse countries would demonstrate greater numbers.

It is hard to define conscious because I would say many people would consider themselves conscious but may not live that way!