Facing the Pain

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Jill2019

Facing the Pain

Post by Jill2019 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:51 pm

Eckhart says that to prevent negative emotions from becoming part of the pain body, we need to face and deal with them as they come. What would facing and dealing with them look like? Does mean shaking them off like the duck in his parable? Fixing/solving the underlying trigger? Something else?

Sighclone

Re: Facing the Pain

Post by Sighclone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Welcome Jill -

Tensions and stresses arise. Take a moment and let them be...be Present with them rather than trying to run away or deny them. You don't have to "feed" them, just be aware. My experience is that they enter a kind of crucible of Pure Awareness then, and begin to lose their capacity to cause suffering. Big stresses and fixations won't just go away...they will come back. So then you sit with them again - being fully Present. Eventually, they begin to lose their power over you. It's a gentle thing, just allowing them to surface, just being aware of them without judging.

Byron Katie's "the work" is a cognitive method of addressing specific stresses - it's here: http://thework.com/en.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 pm

The primary creator of the painbody is our judgment of making conditions and/or events 'wrong'. The longer we hold that pain creating judgment, the more entrenched our pain becomes. As Andy pointed out:

"...enter a kind of crucible of Pure Awareness then, (they) begin to lose their capacity to cause suffering. Big stresses and fixations won't just go away...they will come back. So then you sit with them again - being fully Present."

It is in this state of clear thought-free presence that one can apply new meanings to the things that are causing us pain, thus releasing the judgment that makes them wrong. To the extent we can see things in a larger, more inclusive context, we can use them as fuel for the growth of consciousness rather than the growth of painbodies.

WW

Jill2019

Post by Jill2019 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:09 am

Thank you Andy and WW!

CheescakeFactory

Post by CheescakeFactory » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:41 pm

That does not work for me.

For example, it does make me feel very painful feelings when I can't see my boyfriend for 2 weeks.
I try to sit with the feeling and to be present with it. I try to locate it in the body, feel it, be with it. I can see it but it doesn't dissolve. It gets stronger or stays the same and is very, very painful to my body and my mind. Like a burning fire in my chest and stomach.

So after a while I lose presence because I can not withstand the pain any longer and I try to distract myself until I can not longer distract myself. And then I just try whatever until the 2 weeks are over and pray that this never happens again. But of course it will. ;)

So what am I not doing correct here?

You want me to stay present 24/7 with this intense pain? How is that possible or healthy?
Sometimes I find an ACT that helps the feeling. For example expressing (a more healthy way) or cutting, doing drugs (unhealthy).

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Cheese -

Try Byron Katie's "the work" - it is a cognitive stress-release technique: http://thework.com/en.

Your statement would be something like "Not being able to see my boyfriend when I want is wrong."

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 pm

CheescakeFactory wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:41 pm
For example, it does make me feel very painful feelings when I can't see my boyfriend for 2 weeks.
I try to sit with the feeling and to be present with it. I try to locate it in the body, feel it, be with it. I can see it but it doesn't dissolve. It gets stronger or stays the same and is very, very painful to my body and my mind. Like a burning fire in my chest and stomach.

So after a while I lose presence because I can not withstand the pain any longer and I try to distract myself until I can not longer distract myself. And then I just try whatever until the 2 weeks are over and pray that this never happens again. But of course it will. ;)

So what am I not doing correct here?

You want me to stay present 24/7 with this intense pain? How is that possible or healthy?
Sometimes I find an ACT that helps the feeling. For example expressing (a more healthy way) or cutting, doing drugs (unhealthy).
My opinion is:

I'd meditate/be present on that as you you did. If the emotion is very "strong" and "challenge", just do a formal meditation session. If the feeling is indeed very strong, you can do a longer session, as one of 40, 50, 80 minutes. The point is that as you be still and present with these feelings, your body will automaticly calming down, and the sensations will start to change to another things - as everything in the world, hehehehe.

Watch the documentary "doing time, doing vipassana". It is on youtube, and is about a ten day vipassana retreat that was done in a prision. Watch the comments from prisoners and you'll understand the power of it.

Beside that, you can practice presence/mindfulness the most that you can everyday. As you do this, you will start to think that is easier be present in everyday situations, and these situations will be easier as well, hehehehehe.

Trust me. I felt a lot of strong and challenge things in my life as well. This practice changed my life. :- )