The Now vs Striving

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Postby Anois » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:44 pm

Hi Eric,

Happy Birthday and thank you for providing one of the best sites on the net.

I was at a talk recently about the subject of Beauty. We see beauty everywhere - in flowers, art, scenery, children, writings. Beauty takes diverse forms yet the concept of beauty is singular. The one beauty is in everything we consider to be beautiful.

The theory is that we are RECOGNISING beauty. We are seeing it again. It says that we RECOGNISE it because we ARE that beauty. We are beauty seeing and recognising our essence in this creation.

If that be the case, (We are beauty) then what if this life is the means and the opportunity by which we can realise this. What an adventure life should be.

Look at a flower, feel the petals, smell the fragrance. Beauty, do you recognise yourself ? Happy Birthyday Eric. Happy Birthday Heidi ( I'm 53 too)
Anois

Postby Clare » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:40 pm

Heidi,

I think we like to kid ourselves we are not in touch with nature. I get this is also part of the plan.

It was only our big brains and these strange abilities we had that allowed us to manipulate and get around nature to suit ourselves - for a while. If any other animal had done that without the 'conscience' we had, what do you think the outcome would be? Do you see any rats when they get proportionately destructive, thinking, 'okay, best stop having babies'. Or any cats when they are so many they are destroying the bird population saying "okay, we don't really need to kill these birds, we have food at home. Let's 'Save the Birds!'". They don't do that, Heidi, they just keep eating until nothing is left.

Animals are controlled only by nature.

We also could do that.

But, we were given this ability to manipulate nature, and this ability also to understand what we were doing. And the consciousness to choose if it's what we want. It's ape and extra terrestrial working in perfect harmony :)

One of the most moving things I have ever seen on a television documentary was the conclusion these naturalists came to after studying chimps. They compared us to them, but explained that there is yet another very signifcant difference: we are the only creature on earth that has the ability to PROTECT another species. All others can only eat - and that eating is in harmony with all other creatures, unless it becomes out of balance, and is brought back into balance again by the unrelenting measure of Mother nature. We are the only ones who are given the ability to have a conscience/consciousness, and decide how best to use it, in or out of balance with Mother Nature.

And it would be a pity if we only do that when we understand if we keep eating, there will be no more food for anyone.

Perhaps we can invite that lone chimp over to tea? :)
Love, Clare
Clare

Postby heidi » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:24 pm

Hi Anois - In talking about the golden mean in the art class I teach, it's always interesting to dicuss beauty, why is something beautiful? What's wrong with things that look wrong or un-beautiful? Things we perceive to be beautiful actually conform with that singular thing and yes, we recognize that perfection. :)
Thanks for bringing that up, and thanks so much for seeing that beauty as the reason for being! Yep, that's my job - recognizing the beauty in everything within and without :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby summer » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:15 am

Sometimes when I walk, I am stopped in my tracks by the sheer beauty of a flower. It can be a bright yellow dandelion shining her smiling sunshiny face for the whole world to see :D

And as I hold this flower gently in my fingers and marvel at the beauty, I hear the words " What you see in me, is you , dear one"
summer

Postby erict » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:07 am

Everyone, thank you for your replies.

It seems to me that perhaps my biggest problem is getting caught up in my mind and in trying to figure out and make sense of life. I take thoughts way too seriously, and maybe all of life. But at least now I know I where can find relief... :)

As for the forum itself, it is a wonderful place, but that's hardly thanks to me. I only provide the shell - you make it what it is.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Anois » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:26 pm

Good man Eric,

I find it good to recoginise a thought for what it is - an electrical impulse in the brain. By doing this I reduce it's importance. By recognising a thought as just a thought I am less likely to become attached to it. Try that and come into awareness. Forgive me if I am preaching to the converted.
Anois

Previous

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion