Artistic Block

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Artistic Block

Postby michal » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:43 pm

Has any of you ever had an artistic block?

What did you do to overcome it, when there's a deadline pressing?
michal

Postby heidi » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:58 pm

Hi Mic - Splendor of Action, baby! There have been times of fallow feeling, and when there's a deadline, I just do it. Once you dive in there's no such thing as a block. Even if you might feel you're not creating what you intended, if you just DO, it gets done. It's the letting go part that causes what you call a block. Action is divine and present. PON is the perfect application for that kind of procrastination or "block."

I love this Goethe quote about that:

"Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it." So, begin it! :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby michal » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:25 pm

Yeah... ain't nuttin' wrong with a few preliminary sketches, I suppose.

Thanks for the reminder :)
michal

Artistic Block

Postby buffholtman » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:43 am

When trying to complete an art project or meet a deadline and there is an artistic block, I have learned to listen to what my mind is saying to me. Usually, my 'ego' is trying to control my actions by telling me the project is too difficult, there is not enough time, what makes me think I can do this project, anyway? and on and on.

Once I realize what is happening, I consciously tell my ego to STOP! I have even said it out loud, over and over. Then I tell myself that I am engaged in the project or agreed to the deadline because I enjoy doing the art and want to meet the challenge of the deadline and finished project.

Once I establish that I chose to do the art and meet the deadline, I tell myself that I will use my mind as a tool to figure out how to accomplish my goal.

For me it works every time. Our ego captures our thinking and plays the old tapes from childhood or perceived judgments that destroyed our creativity. We unconsciously allow those tapes to play again long after the event that initiated them. It is time to LET GO.

Good luck!
buffholtman

Postby michal » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:57 pm

Hi buffholtman. Well, for me, usually an artistic block is an idea block, i.e. I need to think of an idea for a piece but nothing comes out. What I've learned so far is first to ease up with the inner pressure - deadline or no deadline, I don't need to lose my nerves over that. Usually, it helps, heh. Anyway, second, when I notice that excessive thinking does not help the inspirational process, I decide to take a 'time out' of sorts; go out to the porch and have a smoke and just stare at the floor, focus on something present. Sometimes my head jerks up with a flash of an idea, and other times nothing happens. Or I put it aside for later, for a different time and place.

I've learned not to view this artistic block as dramatically as it first seems. 'It happens when it happens'. Even if I search and search and there's nothing, I've learned not to take it so bad. Next best thing is to just start sketching something. Just start DOING it, and the idea follows eventually, in one form or another.

In short, it's all good. ;)
michal

Postby heidi » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:23 am

Ha ha, both my husband and I (not necessarily at the same time always) go out to the garage and have a smoke. We call it the Think Tank, but really it's the No Think Tank where we just get present and the solutions and ideas arise like wafts of smoke! :lol:
Heidi
heidi

Postby michal » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:14 pm

Hey heidi, got any of your art to show?
michal

Artistic Block

Postby buffholtman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:09 pm

Michael! You are so right in describing the 'artistic block' as an idea block. Thanks for your comment. Before I opened my e-mail today, that BLOCK was sitting heavily on my head. So instead of 'dealing with it', I opened my e-mail. Ah! divene providence!

For all my understanding of the 'problem' intellectually, getting the emotional response to co=operate is key. So today I will choose two colors that I want to work with and play with them. Hopefully, an idea will materialize so I can do some art and be pleased with it.

Thanks!
buffholtman

Postby michal » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:44 pm

:)

What kind of art do you usually do, buffholtman? And can I see it? ;)
michal

artistic block

Postby buffholtman » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:34 am

Hi Michal:

I work in acrylics and traditional compostions. However, I am becoming bored with the traditional.

I'm taking a workshop to learn to work with gels and other media tomorrow.

Whatever is trying to 'get out,' isn't finding a path with traditional painting.

I'd show you an example, but I don't know how to upload an image to this site. But thanks for your interest. Buff
[/list]
buffholtman

Postby heidi » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:03 am

Hey heidi, got any of your art to show?

You can go to http://www.heidimayo.com I haven't updated it lately. Click on portfolio. I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours :) I just went and saw some of yours, very expressionistic - going crazy with you.
Heidi
heidi

Postby summer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:27 am

WOW! Heidi I had no idea that you are such a talented artist. I just checked out your portfolio and I like all of them
I love your subjects, and your use of light and color.

Way to go , lady :)
summer

Postby michal » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:50 am

Heidi:

I just went and saw some of yours, very expressionistic - going crazy with you

Yay! Thanks :)

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours

My current gallery is http://shivamd.deviantart.com/gallery/ as you've already noticed... Working on an actual personal art site these days, tho.

I like your style, it's very interesting. You sure know how to use those pastels! :D Ain't they grand? ;)

Buff:

You could try to email me one, if it's not too much trouble.
And yeah, it's refreshing to try out new methods/styles. Enjoy your workshop :)
michal

Postby Sue » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:02 pm

Heidi -

What a sensous and entrancing experience it is to look at your pastels.
After seeing them, I left home and saw the trees and houses in the neighborhood in a completely different light. Within the neighborhood are lots of gorgeous scenes that can be beautifully put to canvas.

Wonderfully inspired,
Sue
Sue

Postby heidi » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:17 am

:oops: :oops: blushing.
I teach a course to grownups called "Art As A Verb" where I help them get away from themselves, egos, expectations, and just Be Art. It's really cool; my students make me look really good! I say, Leave your ego at the door!

And then I teach kids, (7-12) these young spoonfed cassanovas who are on the edge of losing that no-mind into human ego/brain stuff, but I pull them back out in the act of creation and we have loads of fun in the present and the splendor of action! :D
Heidi
heidi

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion