Intellectual understanding...but not experiencing The Now

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
eseward

Post by eseward » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:26 pm

Nice, Hiren Shah. :)

rosalind

Post by rosalind » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:00 pm

I have started writing texts called "mental noise" where at the end of a day I write in stream of consciousness what went through my mind all day. When I read it it often makes me laugh and definitely creats the space around thoughts that ET is referring to.
Try it! It is amazing what goes through your head in one day.
rosalind :wink:

Hiren Shah

Post by Hiren Shah » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:47 am

Good suggestion, Rosalind. There is a saying "I write to know what I think". Writing is consdiered therapeutic and a kind of catharsis by most meditation teachers.

Ben

Re: Intellectual understanding...but not being in the Now

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:04 pm

NoordZee wrote: If these awful thoughts indeed rely on being resisted or being clung to, in order to thrive, let us "fox" them and 'welcome' them in our midst. How exactly to do that escapes me at the moment, but I am working on it. So far, I understand that I should merely watch my thoughts without judgment, but again, this is currently a hard task for me.
What works for me is to do exactly the opposite: I judge my thoughts and address my fears. Like it or not, some fears are real. I myself for instance hate to do my mail and pay my bills. I postpone it as long as possible. Stupid, I know, but I still let it happen sometime. :oops: I get to a point where I say to myself, "if I don't pay my bills this week, they may shut off my telephone line, water suplly , electricity, etc." I can simply address this fear by taking the appropriate action (that is, paying my bills!) and the problem is solved. Hooray!

Other fears are less tangible, and always have to do with circumstances that are beyond my control. I can't control what people think about me, I can't control how people judge my work or my looks, I can't control terrorist threat, just as I can't control the weather! Those are the kind of fears that are debilitating and self destructable, because no matter how much you think these "problems" over, you can never solve them. Accept there is a whole world out there that is beyond your control. Realize that there is no way to control it. Later on, you may realize that there is no NEED to control it. This helps me to let go of my problems. It may be an intellectual approach to addressing yor fears, but it works for me. :D

yougarksooo

Post by yougarksooo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:59 am

Ben, that is great. Have you read Byron Katie's Loving What Is? Great tool for unlocking some of those beliefs that we think won't go away.
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

enlighten

Post by enlighten » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:43 pm

pieces of gems in your posts yougarksoo & JD
especially in page 2 & 3
tq :)

Sw Anand Devagni.

Re: Intellectual understanding...but not experiencing The Now

Post by Sw Anand Devagni. » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:50 pm

I find the sections 'Background Unhappiness' and 'The Secret to Happiness' in A New Earth useful.

Love,

Sw A D

jen01

Post by jen01 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:35 pm

I just found this website and am feeling just so much gratitude for the space to share. I so can relate to this question. I also struggle with tuning out the noise in my head. It is like SPAM in my email account. I wish I could just, delete all, without looking at it.
I have been really working on acknowledging what I am feeling. Lately, I noticed at work how my thoughts are just whirling like a hurricane and I am constantly stressed and angry because my ego wants what it wants. Also part of my mind chatter is that "logically" I know that I shouldn't take things personally, I shouldn't get upset about things that are out of my control, I shouldn't need to feel recognized blah,blah,blah. So, now I have been taking a moment to stop, take a deep breath and say to myself, I give you permission to feel angry or hurt, etc and give myself a second to experience the uncomfortableness (not a word?) in my body. The thing I have been finding is that then my mind chatter seems to dissipate, at least for a moment and in that moment (that may last a second) I feel something akin to space, comfort, I don't know.. it is hard to describe but it feels freeing.

heidi

Post by heidi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi jen - Welcome to the forum.
Along with the permission comes real forgiveness,too. The nice thing about what you describe is that
...I have been taking a moment to stop, take a deep breath and say to myself, I give you permission to feel angry or hurt, etc and give myself a second to experience the uncomfortableness (not a word?) in my body. The thing I have been finding is that then my mind chatter seems to dissipate...
is that this can become a habit - a good habit - that creates more and more spaciousness in your conscious life, and it translates into bringing peace to much of what goes on in regular everyday life. Enjoy! :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:04 pm

First of all, jen, welcome to the board. I am glad you found us.
So, now I have been taking a moment to stop, take a deep breath and say to myself, I give you permission to feel angry or hurt, etc and give myself a second to experience the uncomfortableness (not a word?) in my body. The thing I have been finding is that then my mind chatter seems to dissipate, at least for a moment and in that moment (that may last a second) I feel something akin to space, comfort, I don't know.. it is hard to describe but it feels freeing.
This is so important, to allow yourself to feel what arises. Giving yourself "permission" to feel what seems to be negative stuff is the way out of those feelings. Denying yourself that only keeps the energy of those emotions swirling around and feeding any associated stories attached to those emotions - that's a recipe for suffering. The "space of allowing" is in reality your very Being, your true nature. As you continue to give permission that space seems to expand, but actually, all that happens is that the space becomes more recognizeable. In other words, you begin to become more familiar with what you already are - consciousness. That consciousness, that which you really are, can ONLY allow everything. Your very nature is that of a constant surrender to "what is", a constant giving of permission to whatever arises.

My best to you,
kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

no won

Post by no won » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:07 am

Intellectual understanding ... not experiencing the Now. Try turning it on its Head. Could it be that the understanding is really the resonating within your essential Self and the not experiencing the now is actually the mind in thought. Go with where it resonates and allow the thoughts and they will be seen thru'.

The mind cannot understand stillness yet claims to while saying it can't get it. Huh! Thats the mind for ya.

Ives

Post by Ives » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:12 pm

Experiencing the now, but not understanding it intellectually...

...nice won!

artista

Post by artista » Wed May 21, 2008 11:16 pm

Just wanted to say that all that is written here is been such a help and pointer to me; so many great points of view, wise words, useful advices and opinions, really great. I even printed out some parts, as a reminder.
Thank you all :)
Surrender to present moment, be one with life.