Description of new book

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Description of new book

Postby BillyPLed » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:41 am

On Amazon.com they now have a description of Eckhart's new book. I did not see this posted anywhere on here, so thought I would. It sounds great to me.

Book Description
Building on the astonishing success of The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle presents readers with an honest look at the current state of humanity: He implores us to see and accept that this state, which is based on an erroneous identification with the egoic mind, is one of dangerous insanity.

Tolle tells us there is good news, however. There is an alternative to this potentially dire situation. Humanity now, perhaps more than in any previous time, has an opportunity to create a new, saner, more loving world. This will involve a radical inner leap from the current egoic consciousness to an entirely new one.

In illuminating the nature of this shift in consciousness, Tolle describes in detail how our current ego-based state of consciousness operates. Then gently, and in very practical terms, he leads us into this new consciousness. We will come to experience who we truly are—which is something infinitely greater than anything we currently think we are—and learn to live and breathe freely.
Billy in Lousiana
BillyPLed

P.S.

Postby BillyPLed » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:53 am

Also,

I believe we can get a sneak peak of what Eckhart might have to say in this new book by reading pages 165-167 of The Power of Now.

He writes, "[W]hen collective human consciousness becomes transformed, nature and the animal kingdom will reflect that transformation. Hence the statement in the Bible that in the coming age 'The lion shall lie down with the lamb.' This points to the possibility of a completely different order of reality."

Later he writes, "Your primary task is not to seek salvation through creating a better world, but to awaken out of identification with form."

And later, "It is only at this point that you begin to make a real contribution toward bringing about a better world, toward creating a different order of reality. It is only at this point that you are able to feel true compassion and to help others at the level of cause. Only those who have transcended the world can bring about a better world."

He ends with a beautiful description of "your healing influence." Check it out...

I work at an in-patient alcohol and drug abuse center with a staff that is very diverse. We often have very different opinions on policies and/or how to handle certain situations with more "difficult" clients. I try to "embody" the state of Presence as much as I can, but I find it to be very difficult to do. There was an incident recently where I chose to advocate for a particular client when another staff member was basically saying, "Off with his head." I kept a very calm, yet strong, demeanor through the whole meeting. The next day many of my co-workers commented on how amazed they were at my calmness. They also commented on how many of my co-workers obviously sided with me. It was certainly not my intention to have staff side with me against this other person. It was my intention to assure that this client was treated fairly and respectully. I feel that this was one time that I was able to remain in a state of presence and that had a healing affect on the situation. I am not sure if this is what Eckhart is referring to or not in this passage about "healing influence." It seems to me that it could be one of many examples of what he is meaning. What do the rest of you think?
Billy in Lousiana
BillyPLed

Postby Mal2 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:18 am

Hi Billy
I have a friend who works in a similar field and encounters identical problems when dealing with "clients".

My advice to him would be that every situation will call for a different action. If you come from presence then it will be the "right" action.

Ego can sometimes get in the way in situations like this and a "good deed" can be really a chance for the ego to be in control or get up others noses, lets say if you had a problem with authority figures.

Sometimes the "right" thing to do will be to employ some "tough love" and other times exercise leniency.

The primary thing to do in ANY job is to practice presence. The more present you become the more healing you will bring to the job and the more "right" action will arise.

Basically ALL questions point back to the same solution :)

Hope this helps
Mal2

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion