who am I?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

who am I?

Postby LOVE BOMB » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:29 am

Hi, Since all what Tolle says is basically to point who we truly are I'd like us to discuss the undiscussable, who we are beyond "concepts and ideas". When we create a forum like this we run the risk of "wanting" or "demanding" something from the forum , "I'll be wiser after reading what people has to say in that forum" "I'll read the truth in it" and stuff. In my present state of ignorance, I only know that we cannot be more than we are, we can add more containt to the mind but only observing the mind may lead us to find out that there was nothing to find out. If you think you understand what Tolle says, then that's not it, who understands what? Who are you when you are sleeping? Have you ever felt that when you wake up there is a moment in which you are not still conscious of your ego again and live in kind of pure awareness (well, not exactly) but suddenly the ego-idea wakens up and we again have an identity and an ego to fight for.

well, I was just waffling.
Jose
LOVE BOMB

Postby heidi » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:24 pm

Hi Jose, Nice waffling. It truly is a paradox that we have to judge something in order to try to define it or convey an idea. And as we gain consciousness, again we are judging our successes and failures since the ego's so hell bent on running the show.
And even when you attain some spaciousness of mind - still that ego pops in to let you know if you're sufficiently enlightened or congratulates you as if consciousness is a goal. I may have to add this one to the paradox topic...
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby kiki » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:18 pm

Yes, discussing that which is beyond concept is a struggle because it can never be fully revealed through words and ideas - it can only Be as it is, ever pure, ever silent, never changing, always here.

You are right in saying that there seems to be a persistant desire to read more, explore more, experience more - always looking for more, more, more. And the paradox is that it's all here now. Once it's seen then there is no more seeking for something to complete you. Then the exploring and experiencing are seen to be a playful participation in an illusory game.

Indeed, who am I? Be prepared to be astonished when you discover that which is beyond the idea of 'me'.

kiki
kiki

Postby Clare » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:36 pm

I'm not sure if I can discuss this anymore than I could discuss the hole in a doughnut, but I do get what you mean.

A couple of questions arose: if this beingness is our true state when we get out of our own way, how would anything have ever got done in the world?

My own answer: most of what has come from ambition is destructive; whether it be the industrial revolution, to the stratospheric career of a film star. Things only ever become satisfactory for people once they get beyond ambition and look to what is already here. All true creativity comes from the moment when there is no mind.

But do we need to balance the ambition with the knowing of what is? Is there a balance? Or should all ambition just be
discarded?

Jose, I am so glad you mentioned that moment on waking. A while back, I started writing morning pages from that moment. I notice I wake up in the morning and for one moment I am totally clear. Huge messages come through in that moment. Then, by the time I have yawned and seen my dog's merry eye peeking at me as she walks around the bed, jumping a little to catch mine, rising and falling over the mess of covers like a dolphin waiting to play in the surf, I've forgotten; it seems like a dream. I noticed when I started to write as soon as I woke two things happened: pure clear insights and guidance would just bubble through, but then as soon as I started writing them down I had a habit of thinking about them :)

I have yet to work out .
Thanks, all. Interesting discussion.
Clare
Clare

Postby gina » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:35 am

Last edited by gina on Sat May 06, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gina

Postby lakeswimr » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:50 am

Clare, you said, "A couple of questions arose: if this beingness is our true state when we get out of our own way, how would anything have ever got done in the world?

My own answer: most of what has come from ambition is destructive; whether it be the industrial revolution, to the stratospheric career of a film star. Things only ever become satisfactory for people once they get beyond ambition and look to what is already here. All true creativity comes from the moment when there is no mind.

But do we need to balance the ambition with the knowing of what is? Is there a balance? Or should all ambition just be
discarded?"

Presence doesn't mean we don't know things. Presence is clarity. We can work from presence rather than unconsciousness.

I feel that when we all suffender to what is and live conscious of the NOW we will have a much more positive world. I can't imagine it making things worse.

I have had experiences where I was very present during a class in school and found myself raising my hand and giving an answer *I* didn't *know* but which was right. I surely hadn't had the information in my brain. It came from the All, beyond the little me. I think that people who are present and fully awake have this kind of experience all the time. Eckhart Tolle doesn't speak from the little Eckhart. He speaks from Being.

--------

I also liked the mention of when we first wake. I was recently remembering when I was young, preschool and maybe elementary school age, I used to wake up and feel *wonderful* but once I realized I was feeling wonderful it would start to vanish and I would try to chace the feeling and it would disappear. I would welcome each day those brief moments when I realized I was feeling wonderful and wish to find a way to make it all last.

Now, most days I am lucid dreaming and so I do *not* usually experience this wonderful feeling first thing in the morning. That is a good reason to try to lay off the lucid dreaming. I'm relying on it to help me sleep, though.
lakeswimr

Postby mukesh bhaya » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:10 pm

i am new to this discusion forum although i have been a learner for previous five years.

my practical experience has been if our attention is intended in the GAPS or thought intervals we can experince the piece we all are looking for.

this is also because in doing so the thoughtr process is neglected which i feel it should in order to jump out of it.
mukesh bhaya

Postby kiki » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:38 am

my practical experience has been if our attention is intended in the GAPS or thought intervals we can experince the piece we all are looking for.

Come to see that you ARE the "Gap", that you ARE the peace.
kiki

Postby Anois » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:49 am

Was it not Ramana Maharshi who recommended that you keep asking yourself the question "who am I ?". When you ask yourself the question you are left with the answer.
Anois

Postby kiki » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:19 am

Was it not Ramana Maharshi who recommended that you keep asking yourself the question "who am I ?". When you ask yourself the question you are left with the answer.

Ramana's primary teaching was to direct people to ask "Who am I?" This is not to be asked as though you are repeating a mantra, as some people mistakenly believed. Rather, it is to be asked in order to turn awareness back onto itself, thus revealing a conscious experience of awareness. To ask "Who am I?" is to reveal the insubstantiality of the ego entity, the one who has been assumed to exist. When searched for, this ego entity will not be found. What will be found instead is the awareness in which the ego entity arises.
kiki

Postby weopposedeception » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:05 am

Can an eyeball see itself without looking into a mirror (the world) ?
weopposedeception

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion