Audio books open up a new world

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Goldenflutist

Audio books open up a new world

Post by Goldenflutist » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:45 pm

I wanted to share with my fellow essences that all the books that I have by Eckhart have been Audio books. I read extensively, and this is the first time I have "listened" to a book. I found that actually hearing a voice, expecially a voice like Eckharts brings the books to life and brings a peace and tranquility as you listen. If any of you have never heard him speak, this would be a good way to actually hear instead of just read his messages. I think my experience would have been very different had I read the books. I take my MP3 player with me on walking trails, parks, and wooded areas where the essence of nature is so close to me. I hope that this message might interest you in listening to some of his books. The one called Stillness Speaks is deeply profound in this format.

GoldenF
A dog's eyes reflect the innocence and beauty of nature.

altherunner

audio books

Post by altherunner » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:09 pm

I like running, while listening to his cds. His spoken words are powerful.
I'll have a look for Stillness speaks on cd, too. Cheers, Al

Finbarr

Post by Finbarr » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:10 pm

Hi Goldenflutist! Yeah there's something about the spoken word that just penetrates deeper into the mind. I have got a lot of audio cds by a guy called Jonathan Parker (who recommends Tolle's books which is how I came to them and ultimately to here!) and I can understand how it gives you a more intimate sense of the teacher and the teachings. Getting some of Eckhart Tolles audio books is most definitely on my 'To Do' list! Happy listening :P

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:48 pm

Goldenflutist wrote:The one called Stillness Speaks is deeply profound in this format.
I agree wholeheartedly. Because each separate reading by ET is so short the pauses between them become more profound - those pauses lead the listener to the clarity of one's awareness and that awareness is more easily sustained when the next entry is read. It's sort of like a mixing bowl of ingredients, in this case awareness and sound/thought/idea so that even with thought/idea/sound the awareness remains tangible.

eyogateacher

Post by eyogateacher » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:38 pm

I have listened to ET's PON Audio CDs and now going to buy ET's Stillness Speaks Audio CD . This book is really wonderful .

I also recommend people to listen to ET's FindHorn retreat Audio CDs ( Pack of 4 ) .They are very wonderful .

yougarksooo

Post by yougarksooo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:31 pm

If any of you have never heard him speak, this would be a good way to actually hear instead of just read his messages.
Yes and I highly recommend any lecture of his on DVD where he is speaking in front of an audience. There is no script, no book to read from, and the presence which is naturally in him (or his him--"us") is magnetic.
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

JD

Re: Audio books open up a new world

Post by JD » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:32 pm

Goldenflutist wrote:I think my experience would have been very different had I read the books.
When someone gave me PON to read a few years ago, I'm ashamed to admit that I chucked it across the room in disgust after a couple of pages.
Journal entry:

It was mid-May, 2005.

Sitting outside a cafe drinking coffee with the iRiver on shuffle. A song finished and instead of more music, a soothing voice began to speak into my ear. I listened, fascinated and within 5 minutes I was in a powerful altered state. I carried on listening and wandered into Borders where a live band was playing. I was tripped out.

The voice in my ear belonged to Eckhart Tolle. A few months before I'd put several of his audiobooks on the iRiver and forgotten all about them.

An amazing time followed. A deep all-pervading sense of blissful peace and wall-to-wall synchronicities.

I didn't know what had happened, but Eckhart Tolle did. Every day I listened to more of his stuff and the shift began to make sense.

I was free of all the mechanical, repetitive thought-forms that had been tormenting me for years. Suddenly, my mind was quiet. I was in the state that Tolle calls "presence". Exactly the same thing had happened to him.

The deep sense of peace was pure bliss after a major breakdown and years of intense psychological suffering.

But it wasn't just that my mind had slowed down. The weight of my past had also dropped away.

A year later I read a comment by Gerta Ital, written at the end of her Zen studies in Japan. She said that her life seemed like a film - as though it had been lived by someone else. That's exactly how I felt and still feel today.

Two years on the peace remains.
It's good to bring the power of ET's voice to people's attention, Goldenflutist.

I have no doubt that its vibrations powerfully transmit the state of presence. :)

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:57 pm

JD wrote:When someone gave me PON to read a few years ago, I'm ashamed to admit that I chucked it across the room in disgust after a couple of pages.
JD, I must say that it is quite apparent that a shift within you has occurred from book chucker to conscious being. I truly enjoy the presence and clarity of your posts. Thanks for your many insightful contributions.

yougarksooo

Post by yougarksooo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:03 pm

Yes JD, that was quite a treat to read. Similar to my experience.
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

Goldenflutist

Like mind experiences

Post by Goldenflutist » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:52 pm

Thank you so much JD for taking the time to express you experience with me and others. What happened to me was similar in that Eckhart came to be quite by accident. I order Yoga videos from Netflix so I don't have to buy them just to find out they are not good for me. After a few months, I happened across something called The Flowering of Human Conciousness. I am not the flowering kind of person, or wasn't so there was absolutely no motivation for me to send for that DVD, but for whatever freakish reason I did. When I recieved them, they around for several days until one night I was bored and popped it in the DVD player just so I could say I tried it. A small nondescript man came onto a stage and sat down and said nothing for around 2 minutes. My very first thought was to push stop and move on to something else. His first words caught my attention so profoundly that I was completely taken aback. I kept listening and before I knew it, 2 hours had passed. I finished the 2nd part DVD the next day, being 4 hours in length, and ordered 2 of his audio books from Audible.com that same day. I had to go that route because I was completely captivated by his use of language, and a voice that radiated the spirit of stillness and peace. Had I bought books, it would have not been the same for me. The voice made the difference. You confirmed this so well in your post about what happens when you hear it. Thank you from the bottom of my tiny heart fow writing your post!

GoldenF

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:11 pm

Thanks for sharing the journal entry, JD.

Narz

Post by Narz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:29 pm

I agree, Tolle's not much of a writer but he is an excellent speaker, you can hear his sincerity.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”

InfinityCurve - my YouTube Channel :)

Ives

Post by Ives » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:25 am

I came across ET totally by chance. I had downloaded a series of discourses that I thought were by Osho. When I slapped one into the CD player, I heard this little voice and thought: “That’s not Osho, oh damn”. About five seconds later I was captivated.

Since then it’s definitely been the talks and not the books that have touched me.

And here’s the point. When he’s talking, it’s like something is talking through him. It’s not thought out. It’s not thought.
It is totally and utterly coherent, intelligent and cogent, but he doesn’t seem to be there. ‘He’ in the sense of an individual like me trying to think it all out.

Just beautiful. And that’s not homage to ET, but to Life.

proudlybeing

audio vs book

Post by proudlybeing » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:01 am

Having not seen or heard E.T speak or see a talk, from him before I followed a recent link from this site, I must agree with all above,

Ive's description of E.T's delivery is spot on, I feel that What 'is' just flows from his being, with absolute clarity.

I will certainly be taking the advice of our 'Goldenflutist' and you all,
and listening to the audio as well.

Blessings all around

P.B
My heart (and being) felt thanks to the force(es) than bring me to share this site and journey with you all.

Goldenflutist

Brilliant

Post by Goldenflutist » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:16 am

Ives, you are brilliant in your post as to conveying what I was trying to express all along. Thank you for continuing to enlighten my meaning with much better words. I am grateful to you for being here and sharing this with all of us!!!!!!!!!

GoldenF