Do you really want to live without duality?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Narz

Do you really want to live without duality?

Post by Narz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:13 pm

Kiki's post here got me thinking, do you really want to live in a world where there is no duality? No challenges, no sex, no eating, no exchange of matter or ideas of any kind? What would you do in such a world? Simply sit around feeling blandly peaceful all day. .. well, there would be no day actually, it would be an eternal moment of nothingness, not even any good books to read.

Just thought this would make a fun topic. :)
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”

InfinityCurve - my YouTube Channel :)

Agnieszka

Post by Agnieszka » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:29 pm

:D :D :D

I really want it.
But if I really want it, I will never fully have it, because I will always pursue it.
So, I don't want it. I love spaghetti and Caffe Latte ice-cream. And many other things you mention.
:idea: No, I still want it with all my heart. I will try to eat spaghetti consciously, without splashing the sauce all over my face, noodle after noodle, slowly tasting it.

yougarksooo

Post by yougarksooo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:34 pm

Kiki's post here got me thinking, do you really want to live in a world where there is no duality? No challenges, no sex, no eating, no exchange of matter or ideas of any kind? What would you do in such a world? Simply sit around feeling blandly peaceful all day. ..
Duality is part of the Oneness. Awareness just allows us to be aware of that duality operating in us, not necessarily to be free of it. Life goes on, even once awakening happens. However, sitting in peace all day is fine too. :)

I still decided this morning whether I wanted cereal or a banana. I will decide this evening whether I want to go to a meeting or sit and watch TV. I will still have an opinion on whether I will vote for this or that person in the next election. It just won't be a problem. There won't be a self here to make it into a problem--to get stuck on this or that side of the duality--to try to strengthen itself through that sticking.

The play of forms still goes on though, in vivid detail. I just know I'm not really the character I play. :wink:
Last edited by yougarksooo on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:39 pm

I know I am grateful when there are periodic flashes of duality to liven things up. It would be much less fun without it, much less interesting, and much less relief when it's seen through once again. I think it's a great set up.

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:46 pm

yougarksooo wrote:There won't be a self here to make it into a problem
A rigid, conditioned self; a false self; an ego-mind.

Narz

Post by Narz » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:43 pm

kiki wrote:I know I am grateful when there are periodic flashes of duality to liven things up. It would be much less fun without it, much less interesting, and much less relief when it's seen through once again. I think it's a great set up.
Heh, nice response. :)

Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:06 pm

No challenges, no sex, no eating, no exchange of matter or ideas of any kind?
Some people seem to have a strange idea of what a non-dual world is or would be. All of those things you mention are still there when you are in the non-dual state. It is not the world that is non-dual, it is your state of Being as you interact with the world that the word "non-dual" refers to.

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:07 pm

No sex?

Not gonna happen :lol:

eseward

Post by eseward » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:40 am

Well put, Foxtrot.

Narz

Post by Narz » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:11 pm

Foxtrot wrote:Some people seem to have a strange idea of what a non-dual world is or would be. All of those things you mention are still there when you are in the non-dual state. It is not the world that is non-dual, it is your state of Being as you interact with the world that the word "non-dual" refers to.
The eaten and the eater are dual. Male and female are dual. The world of form is dual. If there is "you" and "the world you interact with" that's also dual. I don't think you know what you're saying.

Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:06 am

OK, I'll try to be a little more clear. What I am trying to say is, that what you refer to as dual, seems to be only physical things. However, when someone you might call enlightened or a spiritual teacher uses the term, they no longer are coming from the egoic state of conciousness were you see yourself as a seperate person, with little or no connection to anything else. The mind is out of the way and they feel an inner peace and a connectedness with everything. They see through the illusion of seperateness, and form because they know and feel themselves as the unconditioned conciousness that they are. They also know that everthing, people, plants, a pencil, are at their essence, the same conciousness they are, only wearing a different costume. The term Non-dualality is just another pointer as Eckhart calls it. It points to the same state as the words Presence, Now, Unmanifesteded, Spirit, No Mind or Unconditioned Conciousness. Dual or dualality refers to the egoic state or unconciousness, where you do not feel that connection.

So a short recap would be that Non-Dualality is a feeling realization, a deep inner knowing, not with the mind, that all things at their essence are the One Conciousness, and are therefor one not two, not dual. Dual on the physical level only, but not at a deeper level.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:29 am

Great post, Foxtrot - very clear. Thanks.

eseward

Post by eseward » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Yes, well put again. :)

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:34 pm

Well the absolute experience of duality seems to be detailed somewhat in the
'pure land generation' phase of Buddhist Vajrayana meditation...after absorbing the energy of a Buddha one becomes one with that Buddha and....

"Now our mind is the mind of all Buddhas and everything is a pure land. Everything is fresh and full of potential. Every atom vibrates with joy and is held together with love. All beings are male and female Buddhas, whether they know it or not. All sounds are mantras and all thoughts are wisdom, simply because they happen. Our own body is without weakness or pain, a conscious tool for benefiting others"

And that is consciousness in its own clear light...everything that arises is understood to be the free play of space...and space is conscious, and consciousness...
Many a mickle muches a markle.

Seancho

Post by Seancho » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Does who want to live without duality? :lol: