Do you really want to live without duality?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:21 pm

seancho wrote
Does who want to live without duality?

:lol:

Nice one mate!
Many a mickle muches a markle.

Petra

Post by Petra » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:01 pm

This discussion makes me think of the Yin-Yang symbol, containing two complementary opposites in constant movement, but always part of one whole.

CFSLos Angeles

Post by CFSLos Angeles » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:04 am

Great Thread! I'm reading along and nodding my head at Foxtrot's excellent definitions thinking, "oh, homerun, great stuff..." And then I come to Seancho's and suddenly it's like, "oh yeah...grandslam!!" :D

yougarksooo

Post by yougarksooo » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:19 am

A great way for me to leave the whole concepts of duality/nonduality behind and live in the "sense" of it is inner body awareness. Not just feeling the aliveness inside but realizing, with my own awareness, that my body is a sensor, a living organism. Feeling that---the awareness within, and also outside. No separation, no real boundary. My body as a pass through sensor. It receives all sorts of things from the outside and generates things from the inside which never stay for long (wind, sound, feelings, sensations, thoughts, movements, and so many things which have no words).

Sensing my inner body in this way, as the same as what is outside my body makes it feel as if my body is "of this earth," of the same stuff as yours and everything else in the universe. It is. But I am not talking about this as a belief that I hold just in my head. I mean to sense in my body the same aliveness that is outside of it. This whole thing or world as one. It's a sense, not a thought. The body comes alive in that way. It is truly felt as a living, breathing, alive organism at one with everything. It's in this way that I understand nonduality as well as Tolle's talks about intelligence as more than just the mindstuff.

I have a friend who uses the phrase "my body is an inquiry." Yes, that is it. The need to conclude, answer, know mentally, be someone kills this. When the body is felt as an alert sensor, an inquiry, I live in a state of asking, looking, feeling. It's all questioning without the need to know the answer. It is lightness. I can then look at a flower, water, another person, or furniture and realize, in terms of feeling, sensing, that all of this is one. The separation is purely mind made and self-serving. And yet my mind is fully functioning, in case I need it.

It's really not something that can be expressed very well, at least not by me.
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

Narz

Post by Narz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:30 pm

Foxtrot, I understand your post. The question is, why do people seem to think that enlightenment comes from denying the duality that will always be (and that makes the world fun & interesting) rather than simply looking beyond it to see the connectedness of all things (and then still enjoying the duality that springs from this oneness).

I think alot of people have the wrong idea about resisting duality, resisting temptation, resisting attachment, resisting the natural human tendancy to plan, reassess and daydream. These don't seem productive to me. The best way (IMO) to enjoy the moment is to enjoy it not to worry about all this spiritual stuff.

So then, why am I here you might ask? I guess, the same reason most people get into "official" spirituality, loneliness and the desire for comfort. I probably will be back to check a few threads and then dissappear. One of the mods was a bit rude to me so I think I'll take my presence elsewhere. There's some other Tolle type spiritual forum around that some other castaways linked me to but I don't think I'll go there either. There's something to be said for having a private practice and focusing primarily on your day to day (present) life and what makes you happy instead of all this mumbo-jumbo.

Thanks for dancing with me peeps. Over & out. :)

- Narz

Seancho

Post by Seancho » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:52 am

Well Narz, I for one wish you would stick around. Every good spiritual discussion needs a hard-headed realist to cut through the mumbo-jumbo.

As for the rudeness, maybe if you quit resisting and enjoyed it? Rude posts can be kind of entertaining when you dont take them too seriously.
If you stop believing in fear, is it still scary?

yougarksooo

Post by yougarksooo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:22 pm

I think alot of people have the wrong idea about resisting duality, resisting temptation, resisting attachment, resisting the natural human tendancy to plan, reassess and daydream. These don't seem productive to me. The best way (IMO) to enjoy the moment is to enjoy it not to worry about all this spiritual stuff.
Narz, do stick around.

No now teacher that I know of instructs to resist anything. Where did you learn about resisting these things? The common element in all now teachings (and teachers) is to accept what is in this moment. To resist actually goes against the core teaching, as well as reality itself. The teaching can essentially be broken down to this: watch, and accept.

Stick around. Perhaps you haven't been fully introduced to what these teachers are saying. There are many wonderful, awake people on this forum. If you will listen without judgment, it might be easier to decide if now teachings contain anything which speaks to you on that level that is discomforted.

You may find that there is a connection between your unwillingness to be present and the loneliness and discomfort you feel. Are you sure you want to leave five minutes before a miracle happens?
:D
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

Hiren Shah

Post by Hiren Shah » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:15 pm

Interesting discussion. Foxport and yougarksoo have explained well in my view.

To me, the whole issue beings with labelling which activates the l memory and the conditioned mind which can takes you away from the present moment.

If one can train oneself to observe without identification or justification and let go of whatever thought that may arise, it could go a long way in reducing duality.

Dongle

Post by Dongle » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:19 pm

I third that notion, do stick around, if only to visit and partake in the experiences of the others that are a part of this community.

As yougarksooo has noted, resistance is contrary to the teaching, watching and acceptance is a paradoxical practice, it can be easy but it can also be difficult. I used to have a little statement I found useful, it went; 'in order to understand something, I must stand under it'. This statement, at the time, was a representation of surrender for me, it helped me grasp what it was I was trying to be taught, and understand. As you know, there is head knowledge and or belief, and then there is sensing or knowing, you will find it difficult to understand the teaching, or the statements of many others of this community until you are in the sensing or knowing mode of openness and surrender.

Look to the teachings, and also to yourself, you point to much the same thing you are trying to be taught, step into the sensing and knowing mode and you will understand.