The Age of Awakening

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby starshine » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:35 am

Suzanne wrote: "The lion will lie down with the lamb" stuff is really what the end times are supposed to be about.

I quite like this version:
And the lion shall lie down with the lamb! ........ but the lamb will not get much sleep. :D
starshine

Postby Suzanne » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:46 am

starshine wrote:
Suzanne wrote: but the lamb will not get much sleep. :D
Lol! Where do I sign up?! :mrgreen:
Suzanne

Postby thoughtz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:36 am

At the time the Revelation was received, to think that consciousness would replace unconsciousness would have been to imagine a disaster. We who are closer to it now and who have undergone the changes which are readying us for the end of the world as we have known it for centuries, don't see it as that big a deal. We have to remember the primitive times most holy books were written in and make allowances for the level of awareness and understanding at those times. You explain things differently to a child than you do to an adult.
I look forward to these "End Times".
Thoughtz
thoughtz

Postby Suzanne » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:18 am

thoughtz wrote: We have to remember the primitive times most holy books were written in and make allowances for the level of awareness and understanding at those times. You explain things differently to a child than you do to an adult.
Thoughtz
Well said, thoughtz. I agree.

I fell into Eckhart's teachings one layer at a time, as I was able to hear them and feel them and then practice them and see them happen in my real, human life. I think Eckhart is so popular because he uses regular english (german!) and does not require the reader to amend their values and adopt new beliefs, like most buddhism and other eastern religions.

So, people pick up his book in a bookstore and find themselves in their first page and have to take it home. Then, the layers begin to be realized in phases.

This acceptance of spirituality makes him accessible and explains how sometimes the language that works at one stage of awakening may not work at another. And so, we all need to get past the exact words, stop splitting hairs, and just be the being, be the eternal oneness. Many of us get hung up on the subtleties of words and forget that they are just pointers to depth and truth and lightness.

When cares are lifted and the highs and lows of ego are minimized effortlessly, and suffering ends, you don't care what the terminology is :) .
Suzanne

Postby mistral » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:48 am

Here is something that is right in line with Eckhart's discussions on the age of awakening. Here is short excerpt from it:

"At this moment, civilization is a little like a field of cotton beginning to bloom: first a boll here, another there, then more and more until one morning we look out and the entire field is abloom. Or, it is like popcorn popping. One kernel pops, then another and another until there is a veritable explosion of the rest. Hard pressed, shaken together and running over, mankind is coming into a conscious knowledge of a subjective sense of things which is certain to alter the course of civilization. The first “blooms” have been the prophets, the seers, the avatars, the insightful, those with eyes to see and ears to hear. Now the field is turning white with the ability to perceive subjectively. "
http://www.williamsamuel.com see star on index page titled Something Enormous Is Soon To Happen

Its really interesting to see how so many of the enlightened teachers are predicting this quantum shift going on now.

Enjoy and Love, Mistral
mistral

Postby innerhike » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:33 am

Isn't it interesting to find the gurus and the disciples of the NOW all ga-ga about a "future" event?

If you are entering the NOW with a hope that suffering will be lifted from this world, then you are not really entering the NOW, you are still in the THEN (the DEN of the E-G-O).

I have no problem with hope and us having hope or hopes. But let's be honest about how Kim Eng and Eckhart Tolle are being dualistic and how we all are pandering to this dualism.

I am curious to see what comes out of the Eckhart mania that is about to sweep the planet thanks to Oprah. Many teachers, messiahs and prophets have come and again, and all we have to show for their existence on this planet is the remants of their work by way of highly politicized religions. Some day if all goes well there will be a religion based on Eckhart's words and the apostles will be the people who think they have understood Eckhart's message, the people facilitating the meetings, the leaders in the organization.

While I love Eckhart as one of my heroes, I am also not a blind follower.

I know that to enter peace, to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, one has to leave aside all ideas of what is perfect, and hope-filled even as one leaves what Eckhart calls the Pain Body. Not this, not that.

You can't discard the Pain Body and yet hold on to Hope Body. It's just another illusion, just another something or other you are holding on to.

Die. die to this world, this conceptual world that is filled with suffering masses. Die to your hopes and visions. Die to the memos coming from Kim Eng and Eckhart Tolle. And if you meet the Buddha on the road, don't kill him, 'cos that a crime in most civilized societies.
innerhike

Postby mistral » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:21 am

Once you see that the Here and Now encompasses the whole totality of 'time' including all past and future. Once you realize The Here and Now is not a little infintesimal blib sandwiched between a gabillion other little nano-blibs, then it makes it more clear how 'they can speak of the future'. The Here and Now is Infinite Awareness, so why not speak of the future. I think one becomes, to some degree, more sensitive and inuitive, more capable of 'seeing into the future' as you live more fully and openly to the Whole emensitiy of Now and Here. There seems to be a kind of phophetic sense and ability that gets enlivened when the limitations of time are 'taken down'. Something like that. Or at least for me its gotten like this.

But, besides all that, I found this really nice little peice here that seems to sum up, in a way, some of what this thread is about. I think you will like this:

http://www.williamsamuel.com/02-16-08-t ... oksA&T.htm

Love to all, Mistral
mistral

Postby BrahmanEternal » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:21 am

beautiful posts in this thread.
Free of need to be Free.
BrahmanEternal

Postby BrahmanEternal » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:26 am

Hope Body hmm, what an interesting term i think Eckhart should expand his vocabulary with this. I agree totally innerhike, great post.
Ego is tough one to kill though, it does not want to die either as concept or as body, it does not want to hug the ennemies and things it so much desires to separate from(even itself) as a proof of this notice this discomfort you feel when you read this proposal, so we need to commit egoic suicide literally jump from the bridge with the ego , to hell with it, prayer is good for this by surrendering to god or in other words to our very Self we are surrendering our old identity and comming one step closer to our real Self so pray and it feels humiliating hey very good! this is the essence of it it, practicing humiliation is a good thing because who can humiliate himself without necessary feeling of being humiliated is the only free person on this dynamic world of form.
Free of need to be Free.
BrahmanEternal

Postby Onceler » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Somehow I don't believe there will be a religion based on ET....and thinking so, or not, would only be future projection or speculation anyway.

Isn't predicting negative outcomes the same as predicting hopeful ones?

Who knows what will happen? Personally, as long as we are predicting, I don't think much will happen. He's already been on Oprah, he already has a bestseller. Not much overtly happened with that. I believe the change will be quiet, soft, and organic; if there is one. And there certainly has been one already, as evidenced by this forum and others like it as one small part of the whole.

All I can speak to are the changes in my awareness and that has been enough and I am grateful.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby mistral » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:03 pm

This little excerpt was written in 1987 By William Samuel and I thought you would enjoy it, as it seems now that Eckhart's work is doing 'good stuff' just what William spoke of here:
How is it possible for a glimpse of Truth here on the river bank to do such an enormous thing as help all mankind? It is possible because the world and all mankind are subjective, WITHIN this Awareness we are. We are given dominion over that subjective world that we have come to understand, find guiltless, loose and let go. This world is ours to TEND as surely as a gardener tends his flowers. Our garden needs a continuing flow of Light and that Light comes as our inflowing bits and pieces of insight. We are to GIVE those Glimpses to our world as we receive them, live them, comprehend and confirm them. This is part of the Mystery of the Equation.
No one in metaphysics has written of the Child yet, or the Equation and its Balance. I may never publish these words, but at the moment it appears that task has been given me to do--Just because, finally, humanity is on the edge of a willingness to understand what lies beyond intellectualism intelligently without destroying civilization in the process. Metaphysicians have nothing in the literature about the Child or the Equation. Metaphysics includes the Child's way to think--subjectively--but very little about the Child's way to live and act for mankind. In these final days of our human experience, it is essential that we get acquainted with the rest of these three marvels.
The only measure of real success in all the world is whether or not one is coming to perceive more truth. No one knows this better than we do--each of us individually- and we know whether or not we've had new light in recent days. No one else can tell us more about this personal progress than we can tell ourselves. It is our inmost business. But, if we haven't been seeing ever more light, we haven't been making progress, and we are sinking into the quagmire of Da Shan ( what Eckhart calls form world).

From "The Child Within Us Lives! A Synthesis of Science, Religion, and Metaphysics" By William Samuel
http://www.williamsamuel.com

Love to all, Mistral
mistral

Postby mistral » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:01 pm

I have come to see that we don’t need to kill anything; we don’t need to ‘kill our ego’.

I see us all as sort of like a little flower bud, sweet and tender, all closed up and about to bloom, and we should not try to rip it open or separate out parts of ourself that we don’t think belong there. It seems wiser to bring water and nourishment and gentle sunlight to this perfectly ready bud....Flowers about to bloom would prefer the gentle and tender gardener. I don't see how deliberately trying to strip the bud will really allow it to bloom. Some teachers teach to 'kill the ego' and I think that is all wrong; We should understand 'what ego is' but not eliminate it ( I doubt you can anyway) I must say that one day it dawned on me that it has been my precious ego that has brought me though all this world and led me to find this Inner Light and Beauty I Am (we are). We don't need to kill anything, we just need understanding. The Real Mystic will tell us about our Real Identity, not tell us to destroy 'parts of us'. I think Eckhart and William Samuel are among those of today’s enlightened teachers who want to gently help us uncover and unfold into that which is Already our Rightful Heritage. William was a very mystical man, but never self promotional, his brilliance was clear, but his unpretentiousness was even more a statement of his honesty. I think Eckhart is that way too, as far as I can tell from his writings.

Oh gosh, I just have to add this: It seems to me that 'my ego' has not disappeared or been annihilated, but it has morphed or slid into this sort of ' Divine Balance' where I live very comfortably in the world, in tangible world, now, loving the world once again, really, because I understand the ‘what’ and ‘why’ of it a wee bit better, maybe....and also I can call this some kind of Divine Balance because I feel balanced now 'between both matter and spirit, knowing full well my genuine Identity is always Who I am, and the ‘Who I am’ is now immediately in touch with the Unseen Realms that are Here and Now Present Being Me. Its all sort of some kind of Balance thing that happens now...like being in both form and Light all at once....being 'both'. and I know that most Advaita teachings say you cannot 'be both'...that for me they somehow make this 'ego mind' to be something 'evil or wrong' and I came to see that there was no way to 'get here' but via the world and the ego and this is all part of One Perfect Love...my ego is 'part of me' and as I came to see more ( what ever little glimpses that might be) my 'old me sense' just sort of melded into ahhh ( how to say this) a 'more understanding and wider open' Self/me.....just trying to find words that are easy and simplified ....anyway, I just think trying to kill the ego is not going lead Wholeness, Full Blooming Flowers..….

Love to all, Mistral
mistral

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50 pm

Mistral, I've read William Samuel and think very highly of his work. His vernacular is a bit different than Tolles, but his message is much the same. For those who don't know his work, Da Shan is the mountain that represents the world of form, the Child is our Pure innocent essential nature. I actually read him after I first read power of now. He's another of the many fine teachers mentioned in this forum.
Webwanderer

Postby mistral » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:12 am

Hey thank you Webwanderer....I really appreciate that...and I love that you read William's stuff....

thanks also for perfect explanation of the language William uses with what Eckhart uses! Good job:

Da Shan is the mountain that represents the world of form, the Child is our Pure innocent essential nature

Nice! Sweet and clear and right on target....

Thanks and much Love to Everyone, Mistral
mistral

Postby innerhike » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:19 am

I have no problem with the idea that ET's message and presence are helping many. I am very grateful for that.

I just would like it if for once people didn't start catching on to PON like some fad, just another New Age deal.

Or make it into something like a religion, whereby thousands or hundreds of years later we are simply engaging in political BS. For those that think this won't happen, this sort of thing typically takes decades to materialize.

Has there been one messiah or teacher who has not said or thought themselves to be the harbinger of a new wave or revolution?

To me the best or most honest teachers don't teach in any formal sense, and don't make grand predictions involving humanity or the universe. Getting people on a high is very seductive thing, an excellent way to get them hooked in. The best teachers are unknown and they let the universe do its thing. Just my inflated two cents.

This is a work of patience, of many lifetimes, and its cool that many people believe that they are enlightened fully. But I'll see you around the corner I think, just around the next bend, once you have woken up from the dream of waking up.

Sure the "hope body" is okay with this crowd, but not the "pain body". Duality, my friend, plain and simple.

While we are in duality, let's be honest. It might speed up the actual waking up (or down).

If the words "killing the ego" don't sound good to you mistral, how about the words "let go of hope" sound to you? As in "no hope and no pain"? We don't want the roughage/fiber in our diets but love the desserts, guess what's going to happen? Killing the ego is simply breaking down of what we are consuming all day long, all night long, so we can digest it instead of throwing it up or becoming constipated.

While I love soft, fuzzy visions of the future, how is that going to help anyone who truly wishes to be in the now? Full surrender means no more personal intent or preferences. Can't climb aboard the train and still keep the luggage on your head, as Ramana Maharshi would say.
innerhike

PreviousNext

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion