The Age of Awakening

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby mistral » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:26 pm

Despite what 'they say', I don't believe it....I had to come to a place where I climbed aboard, luggage still on head, and once on board the luggage falls off, here a little there a little and sometimes it is ripped away, sometimes I am stipped, but I'd never had known the luggage falls off by itself, in its own good time, had I never climbed on first. Had I waited to put all my luggage down first....no way.....It is the Light ( on baord) that does the work....so, I think 'those guys' are wrong or maybe it is being mis-understood.

Mistral
User avatar
mistral
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby mistral » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:42 pm

Not sure I said that very well....But, in other words, one has to trust that All is All; That 'we' are already on holy ground, that Heaven is Now, that there is 'no other This' and nothing separate from This Divine Light. We accept that All is Good just as it is, even if I might want to judge the appearances as 'bad'...I have to 'step into this acknowledgment' of 'our one and only Real Identity' which includes my baggage.... then I step anyway, despite the appearances that 'tell me otherwise'....yes, it is an act of Faith in some ways...But, seems to me that at some point one just simply sees what 'happens' in full out, unrestrained, Childlike trust.

Love, Mistral
User avatar
mistral
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby Sandiegojoereal » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:57 am

Ever since the beginning of time, there have been people proclaiming the end is near.
And each time mankind survived his expiration date, the next generation of prophets said this time it will be different.

The big difference now is we can blow ourselves up, when before it would have been impossible or nearly impossible to end mankind, now we have actually come close a few times in the last few decades.

Like Tolle says, since we are here, there is a good chance we will make it.
Its also encouraging that one of the biggest entertainers in the world is offering Tolles message to the masses.

Is there an age of awakening happening now? I think by anyones standards the answer has to be yes.
Sandiegojoereal
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:36 am

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby tikey » Sat May 10, 2008 10:11 pm

I dont know man. What I see is that this message is still greatly misunderstood. Man, look at the anti-Oprah movement on the
internet. Check out the fox-news. News agents are poking fun of her and make jokes that she goes crazy. Even normal people
do not get his message entirely. I know one thing and I don know it, because I went through it: there will be no peacfull change.
I am almost sure that there will be some huge conflict, which will almost destroy the planet and... the survivors will make peace,
because the will be the ones who had the lesson. Who had been taught once and for all that war is evil. There have not been
such a war until now. I meen there have beed second world war, but there are new racsm movements, new religious conflicts.
I am almost sure that one day there will be ONE BIG CONFLICT that will give us a.... a kind of reminder, or a... [im missing a word]
you know-this will be de worst conflict it could possibly be and it will involve the WHOLE humanity... and propably this one WOULD
teach us soemthing.

The same was with me. Untill I suffered enough, I wasnt able to... you know surrender and live peafully. until I had a TOTAL hell
in my life I COULD NOT change. And you know why, the teaching of Eckhart will not reach everyone? Because not everyone is READY.
See the fox news, type Oprah in Browser. You will find many evidences that this Class has a DUAL effect. Possitive and negative.
It both accelerates a new consciousness and an old one. And that means it's making up a WAR.

So bad.
Im just a cloudless sky :)
User avatar
tikey
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:40 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland, Middle East Europe

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby heidi » Sun May 11, 2008 5:09 am

Oh Yikes Tikey, you are young and I am young at heart, and I hear your words so clearly. Hopefully the pimple won't have to pop for the evolution to happen. But what happens happens, and right now, we are seeing huge awakening in a peaceful way. All those nay syaers are late onboard just trying to get some face time for themselves. It's all good - because it simply is. I see that fox stuff, and so do so many, but I'm willing to bet that most who might happen to see, take it with a grain of salt, and intuitively see the ulterior motive (whatever that is, because honestly I can't figure it, although it reeks severely of unconscious ego and money stuff). Hang in friend. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
User avatar
heidi
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:37 am
Location: 42nd parallel, Massachusetts, USA

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby MattDouglas » Tue May 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
The good news is: If you can recognize illusion as illusion, it dissolves. The recognition of illusion is also its ending. Its survival depends on your mistaking it for reality. In the seeing of who you are not, the reality of who you are emerges by itself.


From: "A New Earth", Eckhart Tolle.


I'm not so sure about the illusion dissolving. Example: if I tie a weight on the end of a few feet of string and spin it around fast enough, it will appear to the eye as a solid circular object. Knowing that such is really not the case, doesn't allow me to occasionally see the string and weight in a still as if a strobe light was shining on it. What the knowledge does do however, is giving me the wisdom not to try an touch the "edge" of that "circular object" and get my hand whacked.

I disagree with Tolle when he says ego and awareness cannot coexist. A long as we are alive, at least in this physical body, we'll have egos. It's just a matter of whether or not it's the ego or awareness that is in the driver's seat.

Dealing with the subject of sight an illusion, another anaolgy would be to liken to ego to the lens of the eye. I'd need to lens of my eye to focus on an object and see it clearly. If the lens is of service to the eye, or, more so, to the bosy as a whole, then the lens adjusts accordingly and is useful. However, if the lens were to start thinking it's specific form mattered and got stuck in one particular shape, it's sight would be greatly limited, and it would only see those things that "served" that specific form it had hardened into. Like wise, I know that whatever my ego thinks is just illusion, but that doesn't make the ideas it has go away. However, by knowing it's illusion I can attempt to change the illusion as needed in service to my body and psyche, rather than put my body and psyche through the ringer in an attempt to conform to the ego.
MattDouglas
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Stanley, VA

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby MattDouglas » Tue May 20, 2008 8:32 pm

tikey wrote:II know one thing and I don know it, because I went through it: there will be no peacfull change.
I am almost sure that there will be some huge conflict, which will almost destroy the planet and... the survivors will make peace,
because the will be the ones who had the lesson. Who had been taught once and for all that war is evil. There have not been
such a war until now. I meen there have beed second world war, but there are new racsm movements, new religious conflicts.
I am almost sure that one day there will be ONE BIG CONFLICT that will give us a.... a kind of reminder, or a... [im missing a word]
you know-this will be de worst conflict it could possibly be and it will involve the WHOLE humanity... and propably this one WOULD
teach us soemthing.


You will find many evidences that this Class has a DUAL effect. Possitive and negative.
It both accelerates a new consciousness and an old one. And that means it's making up a WAR.

So bad.


Great post Tikey!

While I like lots of what Eckhart and others say, and see the growing of consciousness as necessary, I think we make a huge error when we separate personal growth from social change or think that somehow awakening our own consciuosness will solve social problems just by our "presence". If anything such delusion often increases social problems because it allows one to psychologically isolate themselves from the world as if they could grow in a vacuum. So they go along with "the system" now matter how screwed up it is.

For an American I'd be considered more on the poor side of the spectrum than the rich side, and that still makes me "wealthier" than the overwhelming majority of the earth's population. I know that Americans could not have the lifestyles they do without exploiting many other countries. So I would say that it's a delusion to think that living in the Now (though important for my own well-being) will somehow stop the military and corporations from killing people to make a buck. If anything, such self-centered "personal growth" only serves them by keeping attention away from all that they do.
MattDouglas
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Stanley, VA

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby Webwanderer » Wed May 21, 2008 1:40 am

MattDouglas wrote:
Webwanderer wrote:
The good news is: If you can recognize illusion as illusion, it dissolves. The recognition of illusion is also its ending. Its survival depends on your mistaking it for reality. In the seeing of who you are not, the reality of who you are emerges by itself.


From: "A New Earth", Eckhart Tolle.


I'm not so sure about the illusion dissolving. Example: if I tie a weight on the end of a few feet of string and spin it around fast enough, it will appear to the eye as a solid circular object. Knowing that such is really not the case, doesn't allow me to occasionally see the string and weight in a still as if a strobe light was shining on it. What the knowledge does do however, is giving me the wisdom not to try an touch the "edge" of that "circular object" and get my hand whacked.


Matt, your example here demostrates the point. The illusion of a solid circular object is negated by the clear knowledge that it is just a spinning weight on a string. The appearance may remain, but knowing the truth of the illusion's nature ends the belief that there is actually a circular object.

So it is with ego. Once it is clearly seen what constitutes an ego, identification with it as a reality evaporates. The appearance of ego may remain, but the assumption of it as "me" steadily disapates.
User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby Sighclone » Wed May 21, 2008 3:12 am

Matt -

So I would say that it's a delusion to think that living in the Now (though important for my own well-being) will somehow stop the military and corporations from killing people to make a buck


Have you reviewed the "Maharishi effect?" aka "rising coherence in the collective consciousness." Google it and snoop around. Granted the MIU people have co-opted that title, but their claim is that as consciousness rises, all are affected.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
User avatar
Sighclone
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6182
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby MattDouglas » Wed May 21, 2008 6:20 am

Webwanderer wrote:
Matt, your example here demostrates the point. The illusion of a solid circular object is negated by the clear knowledge that it is just a spinning weight on a string. The appearance may remain, but knowing the truth of the illusion's nature ends the belief that there is actually a circular object.

So it is with ego. Once it is clearly seen what constitutes an ego, identification with it as a reality evaporates. The appearance of ego may remain, but the assumption of it as "me" steadily disapates.


Hmmm.... maybe this is just semantics, maybe not.

The attachement to it decreases, but I think the ego is still there. If we define the ego as who you think you are, it's very easy to see that who I am aint that, but that mysterious being that put that thought together in the first place; and that doens't define "me" but rather point in that direction... sort of.

I'm thinking of the line from Usual Suspects, "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he does not exist!" Well, I actually don't consider there to a devil, at least not as a corporeal being or conscious spirit. However, if we substitute the word "ego" in the above quote for "devil", I find it rings true!
MattDouglas
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Stanley, VA

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby MattDouglas » Wed May 21, 2008 6:50 am

Sighclone wrote:Matt -

So I would say that it's a delusion to think that living in the Now (though important for my own well-being) will somehow stop the military and corporations from killing people to make a buck


Have you reviewed the "Maharishi effect?" aka "rising coherence in the collective consciousness." Google it and snoop around. Granted the MIU people have co-opted that title, but their claim is that as consciousness rises, all are affected.

Namaste, Andy


Andy,
I had heard of it though not by that (or any other) specific name. I'd even heard of the study done with it in DC. While any scientist would argue that correlation does not equal causation, I do find the timing to coincidental for me to dismiss it as coincidental.

Now the 1988 study done on "quality of life in the US", I'm far more skeptical of. How exactly do you operationalize variable "quality of life."? It doesn't necessarily seem to be going up to me.

Nonetheless, there are three important things to consider here.
1. Even if the Maharishi effect has relaity to it, it sure as hell aint doing enough right now! That's not to say that any good that is done isn't meaningful- even one extra laugh given to someone is meaningful- but rather that wars are still being fought, people are still starving, the planet is being raped, etc.

2. Even if the effect is reality, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's more effective than other techniques. If you know someone is starving, it may be possible that you are incapable of feeding him/her. Perhaps it's possible that you can pray or meditate or whatever and that will somehow manifest food for him/her. However, if you do have extra food to spare, feeding him/her far more effective than raising your consciousness in the hopes that it gets them fed. If there is any consciousness raising that effective here, it's teaching that person how to get food for himself/herself. Talking to them is likely far more effective than meditation. For a more drastic example, if I see one about to swing at a child with an axe, I'm not going to send loving kindness to the guy with the axe; I'm gonna kick his ass! If I subdue him without killing him, then I'm all for healing, forgiveness, and education after that.

3. The world has so many problems that all methods need to be employed. If all you can do is pray or meditate or develop self-knowledge, then by all means do it. It's some small part of the solution. But I think social action and random acts of kindness are equally, if not far more necessary. Let's not glorify raising consciousness to the point that we prevent ourselves or others from engaging in these other two.

Damn good discussion though! I like it! I appreciate you for starting this thread!
Matt
MattDouglas
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Stanley, VA

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby Sighclone » Wed May 21, 2008 5:37 pm

Matt -

but rather that wars are still being fought, people are still starving, the planet is being raped, etc.


What we don't know, of course, is how much worse it would be without whatever 'collective consciousness effect' has and is occurring. Can't be measured - there is no parallel universe without Maharishi, but with Eckhart and Buddha, etc... At least not one I'm aware of.

But we can note the number of isolated anecdotes of people whose lives are individually transformed by being close to card-carrying gurus. Or simply those who are drawn to the topics on this forum and in ETs books. My humble impression is that something measurable is going on - having to do with 'vibrations' or 'frequencies' (see Super-String theory).

I have ordered 'Radical Honesty,' and will comment on it here, by the way. What does Blanton think about Tolle?

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
User avatar
Sighclone
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6182
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby MattDouglas » Thu May 22, 2008 1:25 am

Sighclone wrote: What does Blanton think about Tolle?


He thinks PON is a repitition of the ideas he stated in RH.
MattDouglas
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Stanley, VA

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby Webwanderer » Thu May 22, 2008 2:08 pm

MattDouglas wrote:
Sighclone wrote: What does Blanton think about Tolle?


He thinks PON is a repitition of the ideas he stated in RH.

Surely you don't mean repetition as in copying? From you depiction, it sounds like an "I saw it first" thing.

I think it's clear that Tolle's expressions are original and authentic representations of his own direct perception. However, as Essential Truth is unchanging and eternal, it would not be suprizing to find common ground in the teachings of all those who share their realizations.

There are many fine tearhers, as well as some on this board, who speak of the same truths as Tolle, but do so from their own direct perception. Tolle (and others) may have pointed the way, but it only becomes authentic when it is recognized directly. Seeing that others have independently come to the same realization is valuable support for those becoming aware of the first rays of light. That is the nature of awakening.
User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby MattDouglas » Thu May 22, 2008 4:40 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Surely you don't mean repetition as in copying? From you depiction, it sounds like an "I saw it first" thing.



I don't imagine or imagine Brad imagines that Tolle has read his work, so therefore copying would not have happened. I didn't mean to imply that nor do I think Brad meant to imply that Tolle ripped him off, or that his ideas were something he uniquely and solely brought into the world. I'd heard them before I read Radical Honesty myself.
Sure, he's probably wishes his own stuff would have sold as much as Tolle's stuff, I would if I were him.
MattDouglas
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Stanley, VA

PreviousNext

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest