The Age of Awakening

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby andy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:21 am

The absolute does not depend on the relative. The body and mind are manifested in this world, making them relative. The mind is awakened to the absolute, but awakening isn't essential to the absolute.

Therefore, it is not essential that the mind be awakened. Sure, it is desirable to end suffering in the here and now, but ultimately it makes no difference whether you awaken or not.

The absolute will always be absolute.

Awakening is not important, nothing in manifestation, in this world is.

Even if we all killed each other now - without awakening.

The absolute will always be absolute.
andy

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:44 pm

andy wrote:Awakening is not important, nothing in manifestation, in this world is.

In her excellent book - Backwards - Returning to Source for Answers, based on her personal experience beyond death, Nanci Danison had this to say on purpose: "...our sole responsibility to Source is to experience human life and carry those experiences back to Source when we are reunited with it. Our soul responsibility is to bring the Source's true nature, which is unconditional love and curiosity, to everything we do as we evolve our way back to Source."

It seems our most effective path to fulfilling "soul" responsibility is through awakening.
Webwanderer

Postby andy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
andy wrote:Awakening is not important, nothing in manifestation, in this world is.

In her excellent book - Backwards - Returning to Source for Answers, based on her personal experience beyond death, Nanci Danison had this to say on purpose: "...our sole responsibility to Source is to experience human life and carry those experiences back to Source when we are reunited with it. Our soul responsibility is to bring the Source's true nature, which is unconditional love and curiosity, to everything we do as we evolve our way back to Source."

It seems our most effective path to fulfilling "soul" responsibility is through awakening.

The deception here is that *we* actually exist independently from the source. We are the source, there is no "I" to return back to source, because the "I" is already source. There is nothing for "I" to achieve, there is no accomplishment, no awakening. If my mind is meant to be awakened to the source, then it is so, if it is not, then it is not. Desiring for it will most definitely not make it so, neither will doing or not doing anything or nothing.
andy

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:29 pm

andy wrote:The deception here is that *we* actually exist independently from the source. We are the source, there is no "I" to return back to source, because the "I" is already source. There is nothing for "I" to achieve, there is no accomplishment, no awakening. If my mind is meant to be awakened to the source, then it is so, if it is not, then it is not. Desiring for it will most definitely not make it so, neither will doing or not doing anything or nothing.

Andy my friend, you state "If my mind is meant to be awakened to the source, then it is so, if it is not, then it is not." This is a mental game. Who is this "my" making such a claim and what is its origin? And if Source wanted to have a "desire" through the perception of its "andy" expression, then you would have it in the same way desire is meant to be experienced in other human expression. It must be so because it is for so many other Source expressions.

Now, the mind can create perceptions of denial, and live in that or any other imaginary perspective of life for some time. In that way mind may postpone the natural process of advancing clarity, but it's unlikely to persist for an entire human lifetime. In truth, such experiences in denial are just another part of the adventure.

Yes, we are all Source expressed as the appearance of independent beings. There is a bit of deception in that. But if this is so, it is a designed feature that has purpose from the standpoint of Source. There exists a sense of self in the human expression that transcends the "me" self that is a perceived identity of mind. To state that there is nothing for "I" to achieve depends on whether it is the imagined "I" of the ego mind, or the Transcendent self that originates from Source.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby andy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:23 am

Andy my friend, you state "If my mind is meant to be awakened to the source, then it is so, if it is not, then it is not." This is a mental game. Who is this "my" making such a claim and what is its origin? And if Source wanted to have a "desire" through the perception of its "andy" expression, then you would have it in the same way desire is meant to be experienced in other human expression. It must be so because it is for so many other Source expressions.

Indeed, who is this "my" or "me" or "I"? It is an essential question to ask ourselves. Expressing non-dualistic teachings dualistically leads to a lot of confusion.

Now, the mind can create perceptions of denial, and live in that or any other imaginary perspective of life for some time. In that way mind may postpone the natural process of advancing clarity, but it's unlikely to persist for an entire human lifetime. In truth, such experiences in denial are just another part of the adventure.

Yes, this is included in the expression of the divine.

Yes, we are all Source expressed as the appearance of independent beings. There is a bit of deception in that. But if this is so, it is a designed feature that has purpose from the standpoint of Source. There exists a sense of self in the human expression that transcends the "me" self that is a perceived identity of mind. To state that there is nothing for "I" to achieve depends on whether it is the imagined "I" of the ego mind, or the Transcendent self that originates from Source.

I'd agree. Semantically, it gets confusing when we discuss 'I'. I'd go one step further, the Transcendent Self *is* Source. The lower-self is the ego (i.e. I THINK I AM), the discrimination of unity that falsely creates separation and form. The higher-self is God, it is the unity. There is no 'I' for each one of us - there is one 'I' and that is all. I AM THAT I AM, was the name of God given to Moses. It aptly summarizes the point that being aware of the awareness is who we all are. The awareness is God looking at creation.
andy

Postby Adahy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:07 am

(~,~)
Adahy

Postby CCBCPA » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:40 pm

I do get moments of the intense peace and a shift in consciousness when I do what Eckarts says and go through the Portal of Now, and just be in the Now.

Then at other times, I get migraines, days of intense suffering which seem so hard to stop, but I am getting more and more wisdom to realize quickly, that when I have lost consciousness, or awareness I should lie down and concentrate on deep breathing and watching thoughts, becasue that is another portal to Now. Practice all the portals to now often. When you are not suffering or losing awareness, like when you go to bed and when you first awake that is the best time to practice watching the thoughts as awareness, and doing the deep breathing.
CCBCPA

Postby kiki » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Practice all the portals to now often. When you are not suffering or losing awareness, like when you go to bed and when you first awake that is the best time to practice watching the thoughts as awareness, and doing the deep breathing.

This is good advice. I feel too many people look to use the portals only when there is some difficulty facing them. Instead, I would advise people to especially use them in everyday/ordinary situations. That way you become familiar with what it is to be present and won't be so easily thrown out of presence when outer circumstances become more challenging. In other words, mundane situations are the training wheels for becoming present so that you can "ride your bike" steadily when obstacles appear on the road.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Sighclone » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:37 am

Ever the poet, kiki; thank you and welcome back, CCBCPA.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby gdvant » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:55 pm

I feel too many people look to use the portals only when there is some difficulty facing them. Instead, I would advise people to especially use them in everyday/ordinary situations. That way you become familiar with what it is to be present and won't be so easily thrown out of presence when outer circumstances become more challenging. In other words, mundane situations are the training wheels for becoming present so that you can "ride your bike" steadily when obstacles appear on the road.

Consider the curious expression "portals to the now." If there is nothing apart from what is now, what is pointed to in speaking of a portal to the now? There is obviously no one to go through a portal if there is only what is now. So a 'portal' is a metaphor for a device that helps to end fragmentation of consciousness or ego-isolation. Where there is no isolation or false identification occurring, there is unlimited space. The sense of limited space ends because identification with the content of consciousness stops. Where there is perception of boundless space, there are no portals. So to enter a so-called portal is to understand what it is to shift from identification with the conditioned mind to stillness, free of compulsive thought.

As you say, it is much easier to meditate or use a portal when you are not being challenged. It seems that presence grows as identifications drop away. It would be wonderful if transformation of consciousness occurred all at once but that is not the way it usually unfolds as far as I can tell.

Greg
gdvant

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:08 am

Well said, gdvant. :D
Webwanderer

Postby Sighclone » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:08 am

I think I agree that there is a process, and that it probably varies from person to person. As we spend more time in the present moment, and that unity consciousness creeps into the rest of our life, our whole Self begins to vibrate at what Eckhart refers to as "higher frequencies."

I also think, however, that the habits of "egoing" (Adya) are still relatively automatic and tend to step into the driver's seat. But as we wake up, we see that little impulse and intercept it. And later, those impulses dissolve also. But spontaneity doesn't disappear. Enthusiasm and spontaneity become energized by Source, instead.

Dennis Waite, reviewed elsewhere, is a major scholar of Advaita. He is quite convined that a certain kind of knowledge replaces a certain form of ignorance in enlightenment.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby BevBeing » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Just wanted to wish everyone a "Happy New Now" in place of a "Happy New Year"
BevBeing

Postby gdvant » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:25 am

by Sighclone on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:08 pm

I think I agree that there is a process, and that it probably varies from person to person. As we spend more time in the present moment, and that unity consciousness creeps into the rest of our life, our whole Self begins to vibrate at what Eckhart refers to as "higher frequencies."

I also think, however, that the habits of "egoing" (Adya) are still relatively automatic and tend to step into the driver's seat. But as we wake up, we see that little impulse and intercept it. And later, those impulses dissolve also. But spontaneity doesn't disappear. Enthusiasm and spontaneity become energized by Source, instead.

Dennis Waite, reviewed elsewhere, is a major scholar of Advaita. He is quite convined that a certain kind of knowledge replaces a certain form of ignorance in enlightenment.

gv: yes, for example it is possible to allow a flowering of that content of consciousness that we would see diminished. This 'allowing' arises from a subtle perception of the way things naturally occur. Only what completely flowers will completely wither. Conversely, there is a need to allow presence to emerge when that is what is naturally occurring. Allowing implies insight into the limits of thought so thought stays in its proper place.
gdvant

Postby Sighclone » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Allowing implies insight into the limits of thought so thought stays in its proper place.

Very nice, gdvant. The "power of allowing" disenfranchises any false or trivial power of thoughts or feelings. Count to ten, (without counting :) )

Namaste, Andy
Sighclone

PreviousNext

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion