ET in German

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
rosalind

ET in German

Post by rosalind » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:59 pm

I have just discovered somthing very interesting. I have been watching clips from ET's talks on youtube in English and German. The English talks are delightful to listen to and he comes across as really funny, often laughs his funny laughs and the audience also is in a light hearted mood.
However, when he speaks German everything is much more serious, he hardly ever chuckles, and it seems to carry a burden.
If anyone can also speak German, check it out. Or even if you don't speak it you will feel that there is a completely different mood in his talks.
Do you think that he subconsciously relates the language with a difficult time in his life? :?:

Ever Learning

Post by Ever Learning » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:42 pm

Sounds interesting Rosalind, do you happen to have a link?

OnlyNow

Post by OnlyNow » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:05 am

Hmm rosalind

fascinating

Perhaps the Germans who always seem so serious to the English anyway, (I mean how many world famous comedians have come out of germany ?) would not take ET seriously if he showed the humour he does to other westerners.

He has made remarks about this that in certain countries there is a heaviness in the air and no smiles.

Knowing this he relates his commentaries to his audience taking this into account perhaps

He's a canny lad :wink:
When the Pupil is ready the Master appears

mad

Post by mad » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:14 pm

I noticed it too, but i have no idea if it's got something to do with himself or with adapting to the audience...i must say i like his teachings in German better, but that's probably because i like the language more than English.

rosalind

lind to Tolle clips

Post by rosalind » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi Everlearning!
I just watched clips of ET on you tube. In case you are not familiar with it.
The address: http://www.youtube.com and then put in Eckhart Tolle and it shows you all the clips there are. There is actually quite a considerable number of 5 - 10 minutes clips.
rosalind :D

rosalind

Post by rosalind » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:46 pm

Interesting remark onlynow. :wink:
Just as well I am not German. Alas, the Austrians haven't got much more of a sense of humor either.
Fortunately I am married to an Englishman and the English are great as far as humour is concerned. I love "The Office", "Extras", "Father Ted" (which is acutally Irish) "Blackadder" etc.
Another thing I noticed three days ago when I went to a a-capella competition in Graz with Ward Swingle :!: (Americans might remember the Swingle singers) in the jury is that in the comedy section there wasn't one female group. All men. Then I thought about it. There are far fewer women comedians than men.
Are women not as funny as men and why not?
rosalind :D

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:23 pm

de geeeeermans bombed our chippy

NoordZee

ET in German

Post by NoordZee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:59 am

I had a look at Schmertzkoerper 1 and 2. I found that ET interacted with his audience and they laughed at appropriate moments. It is hard to gauge to what extent German speaking audiences respond to ET compared to English speaking audiences. Sein deutsch ist ja unglaublich gut :D Seriously though, he enunciates his German so well that I could understand most of it. I am not German but like the language. I shall use his German Youtube videos as a tool for learning to listen and understand the German language.
"Veritas vos liberabit"