Wake Up!

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Wake Up!

Postby be-lank » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:10 pm

Most all of us are dreaming. Most all of us are dreamers. The purpose of human existence is to Wake Up. That is the only thing that really matters. Everything else is the Dream.

We can know everything there is to know about spirituality, but if we are not awake, it is meaningless. It is part of the Dream. In fact, it becomes an obstacle.

If I say “Waking up is the only thing that matters” but I am not waking up, then even though what I say is true, it is not true for me.
And thus what I say is part of the dream, and I am still sleeping.

Direct experience is waking up.

This is a Power of Now site. Eckhart Tolle is awake. In The PON book he gives us portals that are powerful tools for waking up. They are exits from mind-identification. By practicing regularly a portal or portals we begin to awaken.

Awareness becomes aware of Itself. Consciousness becomes conscious of itself. “This is the only way the Sacred can come into this world.” (Eckhart) “Humans are the bridge. And you thought you were just a person.” (Eckhart)

The portals are not the only way. But here they are! In the PON!
Why would we not use these portals? Why would we not use them often?

This message, The Power Of Now message, is about Liberation, emancipation, freedom from suffering, freedom, salvation, enlightenment.

The ego wants no part of this.

But consciousness wants to come through and is emerging rapidly. All that is required is an opening. And the portals are an opening. A grand and divine opening.

For anyone who truly wants to know who they are- beyond form- these portals would be eagerly embraced and practiced. If not, the ego is stronger than this divine desire. Even if the PON is not one’s main teaching, if one has read the book and has not practiced a portal- if only to experiment- then this is one who likes to dream about God, but does not want to Know God.

True- there is no fault here. Presence has to be strong enough within to want to practice the portals. This is a light of clarity. For if one can see they are dreaming, that is Presence seeing that. And that is a start!

In The PON there is a chapter on Portals. And he also mentions portals throughout the book. Perhaps rereading the book and jotting down a few portals and practicing them would be beneficial. One could see this as an experiment. One portal practice everyday for a month. Even keep a journal on it!

Also the videos, DVD’s, CD’s and audiocassettes on The Power of Now are powerful mediums, and the portals are addressed in detail.

Practicing a portal regularly is a way to waking up. Writing opinions is fun, and may be insightful at times, but unless you are awake, it is, and helps keeps one, snoozing.

“Silence is the language of God.” Eckhart.

Eckhart says the best practice is fully accepting this moment no matter what form it takes. Saying Yes to what is, being friendly with this moment. And the second best is that if there is resistance to this moment- we accept that. We watch it and keep it out of the head- the story. This is pain-body practice. And he goes into depth on this.

Being Still. Being able to Be Still- is another portal and is essential. Where the body and mind are still. No thought, or whatever thoughts come are simply allowed.
The ego does all it can to avoid this and make it difficult. But sticking with this practice has amazing rewards!

While Being still, we watch the stillness around a plant or tree or any nature form. Just looking. Looking at the space instead of the forms. Also listening to silence. If a bird sings, listening to the silence at the end of the song for instance.

Also being the watcher of the mind, the emotions, within. Being the witness, the observer of one’s inner space.

Being still and looking at stillness, space, stepping back within your self, going behind the person, observing this and then observe the Observer. Bingo! “Here is your Power of Now.” (Eckhart) “Felt Oneness with Being.” (Eckhart)

There are other portals too, but these are enough.

In my experience practicing the portals is not easy. Once in a portal it is easy. Once I am still, for instance, it’s easy. Getting still is not. But after enough practice even this becomes easy. The ego is a fighter! And it’s fighting for its life. And with every “Still” moment, the ego dies a little.

As I recall Muhammad said he had died a thousand deaths.

Perhaps this is what he was referring to!

Also when I began Being Still, the pain body was not happy!
This is common, as whatever resistance there is will come up to the light when one is still. Many avoid the present moment due to this- not wanting to feel the pain that is there. But it is the only way to free the pain. To face it, allow it to be, feel it, give it space, surrender. This trapped energy then dissolves and becomes consciousness itself.

Yes, there has to be enough Presence, one has to be fed up with suffering, it isn’t easy, and it takes courage. In my experience I would liken it to being in a village that has gone mad and awful things are happening and the only way to get out of the mess is to climb that mountain. And that mountain is rough sometimes. But when you reach the top- Behold God! Freedom! Eternally. And when you look- you see no village. You see nothing- your Self- God!

This analogy implies time, distance and destination, but it serves in a limited way. The mountain is timelessness itself- the village is mind and time. Going beyond the village- when that’s all we know- even though the village is hell, is rough sometimes. But it is not only worth it, it is what we are here to do!

It is so easy to get distracted. And that is part of it. But I ask that we keep our focus on The Power of Now. We are The Now. And we are to realize this. And we can. And the portals are for that.

It is all about Love. And Love is seeing your Self in all. The essence of who you are- who you truly are- in all. One Consciousness, One God, One Being manifesting in and as all. God is all there is. God wants to see this. See Itself. Why stand in God’s way? Why let a little dream stand in God’s way?

The Rooster is Crowing!
be-lank

Postby rockchuk » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:30 pm

Great post, be-lank.....in Tolle's new book he goes even more into depth on portals, with a couple new ones too. I'm reading about the 'breathing' portal just now....
rockchuk

Postby phil » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:41 am

Is this analogy helpful?

We might imagine God as a billion watt radio station, transmitting the God Show on every radio frequency there is.

You and I, trapped in our dream of separation, might be imagined as dinky little cheapo radio receivers, who, if we are real lucky, might be able to pick up the God Show on one or two frequencies.

When one of us finally does get the program on our radio, we quickly look to see what the frequency is. Then we run out in to the street shouting, "The God Show is on frequency 1284.9!!!"

We are puzzled when our neighbors don't hear the show at that frequency. We insist they try that channel again. After all, it's the God Show!

Perhaps we forget that while the God Radio Channel puts out a rock solid signal on all frequencies, our neighbors have little dinky receivers that are lucky if they work on any frequency.

But happily, if they can get any one frequency, they are in luck, because the God Show will be there.

But, frequency 1284.9 might not happen to be where our neighbor finally finds the signal.

Does this have anything to do with the Howard Stern Radio Program??? Luckily for us, no! :-)

Moving along, suggesting readers give the Tolle portals an honest try is a good suggestion. I like the suggestion, and plan to follow it myself.

But if we start to wander in to "the one true way" territory, we are forgetting that the God Show can be found in a handful of dirt.

The most liberated happy person I ever met was a 23 year mentally retarded man with an effective age of 3. I woke him up 5 days a week for 6 months, and every time I pulled the covers off his head, he would bolt up in bed flashing a giant smile, with a look on his face that said, "Yippee! I'm here again!" True story.

We would hope to avoid things like me and rockchuck forming an alliance, to build an army, so we can invade our neighbor's country and replace their one true way with our one true way, or something awful along those lines. 10,000 years of organized human violence, based on the simple proposition:

I know, and you don't.

Passion is good. Awareness is good. Ignorance is good. A passionate awareness of our ignorance is very good. :-)

And for those of you who might have missed earlier posts, women are beyond good, they are the best!

Especially Amazon women, the bigger the better (the harder they fall). :-)
phil

Postby rockchuk » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:09 am

Fantastic analogy, Phil. So true. That's a keeper for sure! Thank you.
However, I would just disagree on the following: "The God Show is on frequency 1284.9!!!"
Come on, bro....anyone who is really mature in spirit knows it's on 1284.7!

Also, this was my very favorite part:

"....me and rockchuck forming an alliance, to build an army, so we can invade our neighbor's country and replace their one true way with our one true way...."

This gives me goosebumps, but I am up for it. Just let me know when and where......Hallelujah!! :-)

rockchuk

Postby phil » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:45 am

rockchuk wrote:Come on, bro....anyone who is really mature in spirit knows it's on 1284.7!

Rockchuk, I liked you better when you stuck to saying, "Yippee! I'm here again!"

If you don't settle down and behave, I'm going to pull the covers back over your head. :-)
phil

Postby be-lank » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:12 am

“But if we start to wander into "the one true way" territory, we are forgetting that the God Show can be found in a handful of dirt.”

There is a glitch in the understanding of what was meant by “The one true way, teaching, teacher.” God can be found in a handful of dirt. This is the one true way.

This statement was not meant as a dualistic. Where there is only one way and all others are not it. But rather there is only One way. There is only One Consciousness, One God, One teaching, One teacher.

The mind knows only division. I was speaking on that which is not mind. I was speaking deeper than mind.

“Moving along, suggesting readers give the Tolle portals an honest try is a good suggestion. I like the suggestion, and plan to follow it myself.” I love this.
be-lank

Postby rockchuk » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:20 am

phil wrote:
rockchuk wrote:Come on, bro....anyone who is really mature in spirit knows it's on 1284.7!

Rockchuk, I liked you better when you stuck to saying, "Yippee! I'm here again!"

If you don't settle down and behave, I'm going to pull the covers back over your head. :-)

Whatever you want to do, Phil....I just appreciate you waking me up 5 days a week for those 6 months. That was mighty Christian of you..... :wink:

rockchuk

Postby phil » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:41 pm

be-lank wrote:This statement was not meant as a dualistic. Where there is only one way and all others are not it. But rather there is only One way. There is only One Consciousness, One God, One teaching, One teacher.

OK Lisa, my apologies, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. You are certainly the authority on what you mean to say.

I don't quite follow you yet, so if you wish to expand on this at some point, please do. Will keep listening.
phil

Postby be-lank » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:38 pm

“Will keep listening”

I love this too!

No need to apologize- you did not put words in my mouth. How could you when your foot is always in the way? (Joke!)

This really is not a conflict at all. I agree with you totally on what you are saying concerning this (only one) from where you are coming from. Of Course! You’re so right it goes without saying. This deeper understanding is just... deeper. That’s all.

What is important is practicing a portal or portals. For this is what takes one deeper. It is not the only way to go deeper, but at least in my experience, it is the expressway. Since we are dealing with a long history of human unconsciousness, it generally takes regular practice. But it does work!

(And Phil- that portal you’re thinking about, the one where you chew bubblegum and see how many bubbles you can pop? That’s in the advanced edition!)
be-lank

Postby phil » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:09 pm

be-lank wrote:No need to apologize- you did not put words in my mouth. How could you when your foot is always in the way?

You crack me up Lisa. :-) I'm going to have to give you honorary membership in the Blue Collar Rowdy Workmen Humor Appreciation Society. What brand of beer do you like pored on your head?
phil

Postby be-lank » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:58 am

Green.

But I'm not picky!

(I'll take what ya got.)

Beer baths- Alright!

This is fun for me too.

(I hope this doesn't mean more nails later!)
be-lank

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion