Practical uses of Tolle's teaching.

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Practical uses of Tolle's teaching.

Postby Egoicmidget » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:47 pm

The work world consumes much time and energy and I know overload is a source of burnout.

This has been my practice which is helping me so I thought I would share.

I work at a warehouse and move around lots of material using computers to process items and recently the staff is getting smaller and the work load is very large.
I practice being and watching the thinker while I work, I noticed a sense of overwhelming pressure to get this done on time and realized I was wishing the future was "now". I saw huge stacks and this contributed to the future thinking.

I had slipped into mind stuff and dialouge and witnessed myself doing so and was able to turn things around quicker than I usually can.

I realized that I needed to focus and that awakened me to stay in the present moment and I became overjoyed and immersed in a very still happy place and delt with the job and the strain of the work load with a slight smile on my face and greater ease of mind, so I wanted to share that in hope that others can benefit or share their own practical life applications of Tolle's words.

The power of now made each heavy item something to help me learn to stay present.

John
Egoicmidget

Postby phil » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:28 am

Egoicmidget, you and your work situation came to my rescue today, wanted to say thanks.

I was about an hour in to a meditation at one of my recent favorite places.

http://nature-for-you.com/san-felasco/t ... 090220.jpg

I was getting pretty stoned, and my ego jumped up, wanting to get some credit and approval etc.

Before my ego dance got rolling too far, you came to mind, out there in the real world, accepting what is in the midst of "overwhelming pressures" and what I'd guess is a river of other folk's ego energy cascading down on you from all directions.

Appropriately embarrassed, a fake Marboro cigarette commercial came to my mind, with the cowboy character looking in to the camera and saying,

"Real men don't meditate under sunny skys."

I tip my hat to you sir, you have my respect.

Thanks for kicking my ego where it needs to be kicked, and best of luck to you.
phil

Postby be-lank » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:52 pm

"The power of now made each heavy item something to help me learn to stay present."

Whoo-hoo John!
be-lank

Postby be-lank » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:48 pm

Hi Philly!

Loved the photo! I was even able to get the enlarged version. Cool!

That certainly would be among my favorite places too!

You wrote- “… I was getting pretty stoned.”
Literally?

What happened to the photo of you on your posts? How long have you had your moustache? It’s great, but what about cutting it off?

Yeah- for that reason!

What part of Florida do you live in?

I have been to Florida a few times. Once I was stranded on Alligator Alley-at sunset! I was hitchhiking, and there was trouble and I ended up in the middle of nowhere- and I mean nowhere! Just a sea of swamp, endless sky, flat as a pancake, and standing on one narrow road, the only road, that ran across the everglades.

I knew I was going to die.

I knew as soon as that sun set, I was an alligator’s dinner.

Fortunately I was young, and still brave. (Perhaps “cocky” would be the better word. Or “fool”.)

Though I admit to some fear with the idea of being chomped to death, this was not my predominate qualm.

What really got me was the Space. The endless Space. And no one or no thing there- or that could be seen. No living thing outside of the swamp, which didn’t count. Nothing moved. It felt like being in outer space, only with a platform. One where dangerous things lurked.

I started getting a weird sensation- the opposite of claustrophobia.
There is a word for it. There was so much space, and just little ol me- that the sense of isolation was overwhelming, and even the sense of not being came. This great emptiness.. void. The physical senses could not handle it. There was no real reference point.

About an hour later, just as the tip of the sun was all that was showing, a VW happened along. At that moment I could empathize with those stranded on an island and rescue finally came. The kind driver had no intention of helping me, but as I wrapped myself around the hood of his vehicle, he finally gave in. He and his wife lectured me all the way to Naples, and there was a point where I seriously considered the alligators to be better companions!

(Hey, I got a million of’em!)

It is interesting that I had experienced such outer Space when I was young, and it was disturbing, and now I am immersed in inner space- which is wonderful! If I were to experience the Glades today, and all that space, I feel I would rejoice in it. But my feeling towards the alligators have not changed!
be-lank

Postby spatialbean » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:17 pm

Yeah- for that reason!

What reason? The "no reason" reason? The "for fun" reason?

To be honest, when I saw Phil's picture I immediately thought "Oh no, it's Ted Nugent come to kill some critters." But then I saw his squirrely-ness, literally and otherwise and knew we were safe, sorta.

Love,
me
spatialbean

Postby phil » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:15 am

be-lank wrote:You wrote- “… I was getting pretty stoned.” Literally?

Nah, natural here and now high.

be-lank wrote:What happened to the photo of you on your posts?

It's on vacation, to be replaced with something more interesting when the inspiration arives.

be-lank wrote:How long have you had your moustache?

Since I was old enough to grow one.

be-lank wrote:It’s great, but what about cutting it off? Yeah- for that reason!

I no longer need to start chopping up my body to remember my ego, cause now I have you to remind me.

be-lank wrote:What part of Florida do you live in?

Gainesville, north central part of state, 2 hours from each coast.

be-lank wrote:Once I was stranded on Alligator Alley-at sunset! I was hitchhiking,

Yikes! That's a scary hitchhiking story. A girl by herself on foot on the Alley at night. Youse be a giving me the hee-bee-jee-bees!

http://nature-for-you.com/gators/pics/l ... 070857.jpg

I hitchhiked a lot as a kid too, made it to Oregon once. But no guy hitching story compares to girls doing it. What a shame it's an insane thing to do, it's a very interesting and free way to travel.

when I saw Phil's picture I immediately thought "Oh no, it's Ted Nugent come to kill some critters."

We were speaking about butts somewhere else on the board, and then someone brings up Ted Nugent. What a coincidence. :-) But you have to admit, if the secret of life is to be who you really are, Ted's doing a pretty good and honest job of it.

But then I saw his squirrely-ness, literally and otherwise and knew we were safe, sorta.

LOL!
phil

Postby be-lank » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:11 am

Hi Claudia!

Topic “Moustaches”

“Yeah for that reason.” The space above it was the space of possible reaction to the idea of shaving off a moustache. Not just with Phil, but any man. This applies to many things, appearances, but we’ll keep on topic!

When a man has a moustache for a long time, and Phil apparently was born with one, it becomes an attachment- an identity. And honestly, no offense at all to Phil, but in his case that’s like a walrus identity!

(This guy is not only the Egg man, he’s the Walrus too!)

Now I am just playing here, and laughing some. I’m sure Phil will enjoy his moustache as long as it continues to behave, and not make seeing difficult.

But I do like the idea of one being able to shave their moustache, and live to tell about it. It grows back!

Being a nature lover, and a free-spirit, my vote is for shaving it off. At least once. (Come on Phil! Just to do it. Just to be able to do it.)

When we’re talking about scary things, this is equal to that alligator in the photo!

No doubt there are complex reasons for having a moustache a long time. Usually a parent or two are involved. I don’t know if it’s
true but I heard that men with moustaches are hiding something. (As in "mouse-stash") My ex had a moustache- but he needed to hide!

And look at all the space it is taking up. Phil might have an epiphany if he shaved his moustache off. He might look in the mirror, aghast and awaken! Enlightenment could be just a Gillette away!

Stranger things have happened!

But really- it isn’t the moustache, it’s the resistance or fear to shaving it off that is the issue. And not just with Phil- with any man.

If ya can’t do a portal practice, next best thing is shave your moustache!

It comes down to “Who am I?”

And always asking this question. And never settling for a moustache, side burns, or bushy eyebrows. (Unless your Andy Rooney.)
Last edited by be-lank on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
be-lank

Postby be-lank » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:19 am

Hi Phil!

Thanks for answering my questions. I have some comments on your post but I have been too busy writing about your moustache.

So when ya shaving it off, dude?

("Cold day in .... !)

That's okay. I still love ya!
be-lank

Postby phil » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:47 pm

be-lank wrote:I don’t know if it’s true but I heard that men with moustaches are hiding something.

I remember in high school when I first started growing the stash. Some guy in the neighborhood told me,

"My Dad told me that guys who grow mustaches do it to have something to hide behind."

I told him,

"Yea, my Dad told me that guys who can't grow mustaches (this friend had very thin hair) would say stuff like that."

But my Dad neglected to warn me of the gals who would say it! :-)

Actually, I came close to your goal once. My regular barber was on vacation and I got the replacement barber. He asked me if he could trim my mustache. I said sure, why not. Within seconds he reduced it to one of those pencil thin mustaches that were popular when he was a kid in the 30's.

The weird part was watching the reactions on people's faces when they next met me. They didn't know what to say. They'd look, and then look away, and then look again, getting more perplexed and embarrassed with every glance. I didn't know whether to relieve their pain by telling them the story, or just forget it and let them sweat.

Beware of old geezer replacement barbers! :-)

Whether ones ego wishes to hide, or proclaim itself free of hiding, it's still the same old ego, doing one dance or another.

I don't need to shave anything to shine a light on my ego, I already know it's there. I do agree that seeing the ego is important.

Once we've done that, a question may arise. Am I seeing my ego to kill it, or to welcome and accept it as part of the family?

Everybody has crazy family members, and we all are free to decide for ourselves if we want to embrace their craziness, or resist and banish them.
phil

Postby Egoicmidget » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:55 pm

Why do I feel feasted upon by enlightened beings? Maybe its' my ego but I feel sort of like my post turned into a joke. My realizations probably are old hat to most of you anyway.
It's all good because I'm trying to learn not to take I am too seriously.I think my painbody is kicking in an I'm feeling less than, like I don't count or I'm inferior to you all LOL no biggy.
In fact I hope my painbody stops bugging me, holidays tend to bring it out.

Great posts all funny!

:D
Egoicmidget

Postby phil » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:55 am

Hi John,

Thanks for returning to reclaim your thread, and thanks for your honesty.

It wasn't very enlightened of us to hi-jack your thread, as you were aiming at something important and quite on topic. Staying present in the cooking pot of the "real world" is real work that deserves a better discussion.

In any forum there are usually 10 quiet readers for every poster, or something like that. You've reminded us regulars that if we want the majority of lurking visitors to join us in discussion, we should probably make our posts more responsive than we did here.

As truly fascinating as my mustache is, some folks nonetheless actually want to explore other subjects from time to time. Weird huh? :-)

Thanks again for being frank John, you've not only put this thread back on track, but probably also many yet to come.

So, please keep us posted on your work meditations. Think how the world might change for us if we could all learn how to stay present in the midst of chaos.
phil

Postby be-lank » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:12 am

Hi John!

If you feel feasted upon by enlightened beings- Merry Christmas!

May all enlightened beings come and feast on me!

In another post you wrote: “Amid the chaos of the conditioned mind and false self (the ego)- I am at a point of realization of the profound message Mr. Tolle speaks of which is my personal experience and that is; the more I immerse myself in the now and turn off the noise machine the more joy to my life I feel. The more I practice presence the more I experience the depth of "being" that Tolle speaks of.

Another thought is that lack of trying to arrive at a place that I was already.

This is a short answer but it is my truth.”

That there is an enlightened being! Here’s a Be-lank leg to munch on!

All of us are already enlightened. All we’re doing is shaking each other to wake up to who we already are. And feel free to shake what’s left of the stuffing out of me- anytime!

The love in my heart is so big that I can die for you right now.

Did you feel it?

This is all just Love. And Love is wild and free and who we are.

It scares the ego. But that’s okay. The ego needs to be drawn out into the light of consciousness, where it can dissolve. If buttons are being pushed- that’s good. Watching the reactions is the portal practice of the pain body. It cannot dissolve if it stays hidden- and it likes to hide. It is not personal. It is human pain, and if it is, and if it within us, then our job is to accept it. And it can only be accepted if is felt, seen, out in the open.

This moment is all there is. Completely accepting this moment is the way to liberation. And if there is unaccepted pain- that pain will surface. It is one of the main reasons why we do not accept this moment. We don’t want to feel pain. But if it is, it must be accepted.

I am sure many of my posts, like this one, push buttons. And my pain body doesn’t like that. But I do not let it keep me from posting. I allow it to be if it comes up. It’s welcomed! It’s the human conditioned mind, it’s social programming. It’s personal selves feeling insulted, diminished. The Power of Now is about the diminishment of this personal self. It is about the death of this self. For this self is what keeps us from realizing who we really are.

The New Consciousness wants to emerge.

Who are we to stand in its way!

“It's all good because I'm trying to learn not to take I am too seriously.” Great!

“I think my pain body is kicking in an I'm feeling less than, like I don't count or I'm inferior to you all.” Wonderful!

Like you wrote, it’s all good, all okay. Fear is what is behind it for all of us. When we can allow fear to be- watch it- we see that this is not who we are. It’s just resistance to this moment. Funny stuff.

There are those who write often and a lot on this site. We need not mention any names! But there is a lot of space in the words. And a lot of truth. Who knows how long shooting stars will last? Might as well bounce off that planet and join them!

What a Blast!
be-lank

Postby Egoicmidget » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:04 pm

Thanks Phil and Be-lank for your pointers.
I haven't yet gotten used to my own stillness inside.
I'm so used to this conditioned mind and it's associated feeling and my story.
Sometimes without it I feel lost, but it's getting better.

There sure is a wildness that is there, what a change for me.
Happiness is real and deep.

Enthusiasm for living is gone throught the roof!

Not trying is my practice now, I'm not used to not having to try to achieve and get better at someyhing. LOL.

I feel re-born. Here is some art. :D

Egoicmidget

Postby be-lank » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Super Post John!

Like Kramer says, "I'm out there and lov'n every minute of it!"
(Seinfeld)

Is this your artwork? It is very interesting- unique.

Will you tell me about it? What do you see, feel?

Merry!
be-lank

Postby Egoicmidget » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:41 pm

This is a picture I did a while back before I got into PoN.

It's a robot with a side kick, I was basically just having fun with forms.It was created in a 3D software package called Lightwave 8.5.

Viewing it now it's as though the robot is me and the side kick is
something I cannot identify within, maybe it's a part of the little me, not sure.

The side kick is a great interest to me at this time.

The image itself reflects lonlyness and a lack of ability to create change in my life.
I used the programs ability called radiosity to create the enviroment.
Radiosity is how light reflects off objects in nature.

People who know me well have seen some of these before.

I'm hoping I'm not being egoic by posting it, just wanted to share
since it suggests stillness and being in an odd sort of way.

These forms came out of nowhere except a field of awareness I must have visited purely by accident.

John
Egoicmidget

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion