The futility of searching

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
marshall21

The futility of searching

Post by marshall21 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi folks

this is my first post even though I have been a regular vistor to this amazing forum. I have really been influenced by ET's work. Many other mystic's work have influenced me although the truth they are trying to show is only ONE. I have also been greatly influenced by J Krishnamurti and Osho.
One thing I have noticed is that the very knowledge and the search is a hindrance to knowing. Recently, I came across this article which talks about the futility of searching for the truth. As Krishnamurti rightly said..."It is the truth that sets you free and not the effort to find the truth."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A13197404

Hope this article provides fresh impetus to the movement towards presence (or stopping for presence.... :-) )

Hello to all of you!!

JD

Ram Ram

heidi

Post by heidi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi Marshall - So true, when you sit with the power that beats your heart, grows your hair, breathes your breath, you know there's nothing you need to do but let it be. :)
Welcome to the forum.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

weichen

Post by weichen » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:09 pm

It is the truth that sets you free and not the effort to find the truth

From the standpoint of entire human species, it is fine if a few millions of scientists and engineers make huge effort (try thousands time) to find various kinds of truth (such as the light bulb). The remaining billions of people can just sit back and enjoy.

Look at Eckhart, he made a lot of effort giving talks around the world, to the point that he worried about the possiblity that he may get ill due to exhaustion. He took a well deserved two year break, now he is back to the tour of teaching. When he has commited his tour schedule, he would make the effort to show up and give the talk even if he felt ill and could use 10 more hours of bed time rest.

Through Eckhart's tour of teaching, deeper truth comes to him, although he was focusing on each moment of teaching (rather than set the goal of finding deeper truth), but deeper truth still comes out. He can use the deeper truth to write new spiritual books that are simpler and more powerful.

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:29 am

no desire

suraj

Post by suraj » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:22 am

What a delightful article !
Thank you Marshall. I have printed it.
I AM

mikel

Post by mikel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:07 am

I really enjoyed this article as well thanks for posting.

from the article
That's why I give the three suggestions to enable people to stop their efforts:

Surrender to Existence with total trust;
accept yourself as you are, with love;
do everything with total awareness.

NoordZee

The Futility of Searching

Post by NoordZee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:58 am

Thank you so much Marshall for giving us access to this delightful article. Here is a brief quote from the interview:
Kiran -By and by, I began to understand that something was wrong with searching. I felt that it was wrong to be after something all the time. I woke up to the understanding that I was making a mistake by searching for something, somewhere outside. I came to know that I was making a mistake by going to somebody, by asking for the way, by sitting at somebody's feet, by waiting for something to happen, or by desiring that realization may happen with the help of effort and spiritual practice.
Kiran is telling us that we cannot search for something that we already have. We always feel that we must do something. He advocates that meditation and searching for enlightenment do not help one bit. Once you surrender totally and do not let your mind dictate what to do to achieve enlightenment, you will rediscover it.
"Veritas vos liberabit"

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:09 pm

The truth isn't out there :)

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:43 am

Kiran -I am just standing at the corner of the street, telling people that this road doesn't lead anywhere. If I stood on the street silently, you wouldn't listen to me or understand me. Therefore, I create a small shop, a guide shop to which you can come to ask for directions. When you visit my shop, I can tell you, 'Please, don't take the path of doing and effort.
This is so simply ilustrated that any person can understand it, even people with below average intellect.

Essence of enlightenment, from illusion to freedom.
Last edited by BrahmanEternal on Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:50 am

Hope is not salvation, its damnation.