The Pain body

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

The Pain body

Postby bluejay » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:10 am

Let me give you a situation and how I responded.Someone says something to me,I get upset and angry.I then plot how to get them back.It eats at me.It bothers me. I talk to others about what to do. I respond and they retaliate again. Now I pick up tpon start rereading about pain body. It seems I have missed some points. According to what I read ,I should focus on the feeling. Anger. Accept it.Observe and Stay present. This is my thought or interpitation of tpon. These steps will keep me from the plotting of revenge.Talking about the situation with others. Does this sound right?
bluejay

Postby heidi » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:59 pm

If you can observe the anger without putting an ego spin on it, then you are being present with it. Just "being" angry is fine as long as you aren't creating a story around it, wasting your life force on it, forcing it on others. And I feel, if you're going to BE angry, then you either let it go or take positive action to direct it creatively.

Oh, and while I've got your attention, Bluejay. This forum is visited by people from all over the world, many for whom English is not their first language. Eric and I ask all members to do their best to follow basic English grammar and punctuation rules such as capitalizing the first word of a sentence, and putting spaces between sentences, and doing our best to spell so that non-english speaking members can translate and participate. Remember, your posts are being read by many people who don't necessarily write responses. We want our forum to be a good resource for anyone who finds it.

Now, why do I mention the above in a topic about anger? Because :twisted: it irks me when the basic guidelines Eric and I posted are ignored! :evil: So, I take positive action to direct such anger towards improving the quality of our forum for the betterment of mindkind in general. Understood? :twisted:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby bluejay » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:14 pm

WOW! If I told you I am doing the best I can will that matter? I do rush to get something and could take my time. You know that basic writing profenciey you take in college, it took me 3 times to pass it. It was a barely pass. I remember someone on here encouraging people to post and I took the hint. I will be hesitant to post in the future and I hope that helps the forum , I pray in the future you will give consideration to the grammatically handicapped
bluejay

Postby be-lank » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:29 pm

BLUEJAY!

If all else fails please write to me. Give me your e-mail address!

I can see how what Heidi wrote would inspire your response.

But she did not mean to ostrasize (sp?) you. (She does have the flu!)

I did notice that when you slowed down your communication was clearer. That's all it takes.

But your subject was far more important than grammer.

The pain body- and isn't interesting that the subject of pain body caused a trigger for the pain body?

Anyway, I really enjoy when you post! And I personally don't care how you post it. Though it is true when you go slower it easy to read.

You're a highlight on this site!

I am totally for you and keep posting.
be-lank

Postby heidi » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:55 pm

My response was not meant to offend, it was meant #1 to enlighten members as to how we can make this forum good for all visitors, not only those who post frequently, and #2 to answer your question by using an example. :)
Heidi
heidi

Postby summer » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:05 pm

My heart reaches out to you, Blue Jay, Heidi, and everyone of us who are feeling stressed during this time.

Christmas seems to activate the collective Pain Body, and it is so easy to get caught up in it all. Financial pressures, rushing around trying to do 10 things at once, family issues being triggered, and the list goes on, and on....

I am certainly caught up in my own Pain Body Tango, and I can only attempt to be as present as I can with this energy. And remember that it is not my personal problem.

Phew! It isn't always easy. Yet, it is an opportunity to find liberation from the density of feeling seperate from our Beloved. To feel the body sensations, and not believe every thought that flies through the mind. To welvome this moment as much as possible.

with love,
summer
summer

Postby be-lank » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:10 pm

PAST PAIN- DISSOLOVING THE PAIN BODY
(From The PON, Eckhart Tolle)

The pain body may seem to you like a dangerous monster that you cannot bear to look at, but I assure you that it is an insubstantial phantom that cannot prevail against the power of your presence.

Some spiritual teachings state that all pain is ultimately an illusion, and this is true. The question is, is it true for you? A mere belief doesn’t make it true. Do you want to feel pain the rest of your life and keep saying that it is an illusion? Does that free you from the pain?

What we are concerned with here is how you can realize this truth- that is, make it real in your own experience.

The pain body doesn’t want you to Observe it directly and see it for what it is.

The moment you Observe it, feel its energy field within you, and take your attention into it, the identification is broken.

A higher dimension of consciousness has now come in. I call it presence.

You are now the Witness or the Watcher of the pain body.

This means that it cannot use you anymore by pretending to be you, and it can no longer replenish itself through you.

You have found your own inner strength. You have accessed the power of now.

“What happens to the pain body when we become conscious enough to break our identification with it?”

Unconsciousness creates it, consciousness transmutes it into itself.

Just as you cannot fight the darkness, you cannot fight the pain body. Trying to do so would create inner conflict and thus further pain.

Watching it is enough.

Watching it implies accepting it as part of what is at that moment.

The pain body consists of trapped life-energy that has split off from your total energy field and has temporarily become autonomous through the unnatural process of mind-identification.

It has turned in on itself and become anti-life, like an animal trying to devour its own tail. Why do you think our civilization has become so life-destructive? But even the life-destructive forces are still life-energy.

When you start to disidentify and become the Watcher, the pain body will continue to operate for a while, and will try to trick you into identifying with it again.

Although you are no longer energizing it through your identification, it has a certain momentum. Just like a spinning wheel that will keep turning for a while even when it is no longer being propelled. At this stage it may also create physical aches and pains in different parts of the body, but that won’t last long.

Stay present.

Stay conscious.

Be the ever-alert guardian of your inner space.

You need to be present enough to be able to Watch the pain body directly and feel its energy. It then cannot control your thinking.

The moment your thinking is aligned with the energy field of the pain body, you are identified with it, and again feeding it with your thoughts.

For example, if anger is the predominate energy vibration of the pain body and you think angry thoughts, dwelling on what someone did to you, or what you are going to do to him or her, then you have become unconscious and the pain body has become “you”. Where there is anger there is always pain underneath.

Or when a dark mood comes upon you and you start getting into a negative mind pattern and thinking how dreadful your life is, your thinking has become aligned with your pain body. And you have become unconscious and vulnerable to the pain body’s attack.

“Unconscious” the way that I use the word here, means to be identified with some mental or emotional pattern.

It implies a complete absence of the Watcher.

Sustained Conscious Attention severs the link between your pain body and your thought processes.

And it brings about the process of transmutation.

It is as if the pain becomes fuel for the flame of your consciousness, which then burns more brightly as a result.

This is the esoteric meaning of the ancient art of alchemy; the transmutation of base metal into gold, of suffering into consciousness.

The split within is healed- and you become whole again. Your responsibility then is to not create further pain.

IF YOU ARE ABLE TO STAY ALERT AND PRESENT AND WATCH WHATEVER YOU FEEL WITHIN, RATHER THAN BE TAKEN OVER BY IT, IT AFFORDS THE OPPORTUNITY FOR THE MOST POWERFUL SPIRITUAL PRACTICE, AND A RAPID TRANSMUTATION OF ALL PAST PAIN POSSIBLE.

ONCE YOU HAVE UNDERSTOOD THE BASIC PRINCIPLE OF BEING PRESENT OF THE WATCHER OF WHAT HAPPENS INSIDE YOU- AND YOU “UNDERSTAND” IT BY EXPERIENCING IT- YOU HAVE AT YOUR DISPOSAL THE MOST TRANSFORMATIONAL TOOL.

THIS IS NOT TO DENY THAT YOU MAY ENCOUNTER INTENSE RESISTANCE TO DISIDENTIFYING FROM YOUR PAIN.

THIS WILL BE THE CASE PARTICULARY IF YOU HAVE LIVED CLOSELY IDENTIFIED WITH YOUR EMOTIONAL PAIN BODY FOR MOST OF YOUR LIFE. AND THE WHOLE OR A LARGE PART OF YOUR SENSE OF SELF IS INVESTED IN IT.

WHAT THIS MEANS IS THAT YOU HAVE MADE AN UNHAPPY SELF OUT OF YOUR PAIN BODY. AND THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT THIS MIND-MADE FICTION IS WHO YOU ARE.

IN THAT CASE, UNCONSCIOUS FEAR OF LOSING YOUR IDENTITY WILL CREATE STRONG RESISTANCE TO ANY DISIDENTIFICATION.

IN OTHER WORDS, YOU WOULD RATHER BE IN PAIN- BE THE PAIN BODY- THAN TAKE A LEAP INTO THE UNKNOWN AND RISK LOSING THE FAMILIAR UNHAPPY SELF.

IF THIS APPLIES TO YOU, OBSERVE THE RESISTANCE IN YOUR SELF.

OBSERVE THE ATTACHMENT TO YOUR PAIN.

BE VERY ALERT.

OBSERVE THE PECULIAR PLEASURE YOU DERIVE FROM BEING UNHAPPY.

OBSERVE THE COMPULSION TO TALK OR THINK ABOUT IT.

THE RESISTANCE WILL CEASE IF YOU MAKE IT CONSCIOUS.

YOU CAN THEN TAKE YOUR ATTENTION INTO THE PAIN BODY.

STAY PRESENT AS THE WITNESS, AND SO INITIATE ITS TRANSMUTATION.
be-lank

Postby heidi » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:53 pm

My heart reaches out to you, Blue Jay, Heidi, and everyone of us who are feeling stressed during this time.

Not the least bit stressed, Summer. Thanks for the kindness, though.
I did all I had to do and have been enjoying a bit of relaxation. :)

I used the opportunity that was presented by Bluejay to reiterate the forum's need for clarity in writing since we really do offer many people who don't post a place to read about Tolle and Now. All new members should read that little sticky at the beginning and realize that anything and everything they write is viewed worldwide. There is an edit function in this application, so members can review what they've written and fix things if they want.
Maybe I should have added a couple of smilies after my devil guys, as I was smiling when I wrote it.

Happy Holy Days, everyone.
Heidi
heidi

Postby phil » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:54 pm

bluejay wrote:I remember someone on here encouraging people to post and I took the hint.

Um, sorry, this could have been me.

Some folks were born with the knack for writing, while others didn't get that gene, but received some other abilities instead.

There is indeed a difference between packaging (the ability to string words together in a pleasing pattern) and the package (the value of what someone is saying). Some times folks with the best packaging have the least to say, and vice versa.

What's perhaps interesting to observe is that you and I had nothing whatsoever to do with whether we got the writing gene or not, so there's really no reason to be ashamed or proud of our basic skill level.

What's more interesting to observe is that this is true of most other aspects of our bodies and personalities as well.

We take so much ownership, pride and shame, over things we had nothing to do with.

Observing one's genetic connection to ancestors can be a great acceptance portal, imho.

All that said, there is a culture on much of the Net that proudly disdains spelling and grammer etc, and I think that's what Heidi is on the alert for. As this forum grows this will become more of an issue, and we'll thank her for taking on the thankless job of being the traffic cop.

Most of what Heidi seems to be asking for is capitalization, periods and spaces. Not so hard, right? We don't need the writing gene for that. And Heidi seems quite accepting of threads that wander a bit farther from the topic than they really should.

Assuming a very basic level of packaging can be provided, I would encourage readers not to hold back from posting just because their ego tells them they maybe can't win the "who has the fanciest nicest sounding words" game.

Eloquence and enlightenment are not related, unless perhaps one takes on the job of being an enlightenment teacher.

Hope this helps somehow...
phil

Postby be-lank » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:19 pm

I just read this:

"I was sitting quietly trying to take in the experience this morning, to understand what had happened. This act was seen to be ego. I sense some anxiety, some distress there. I have definitely lost my footing. Isn't it great!"

Fantastic!
be-lank

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion