From complete ease to complete fear?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
yougarksooo

Re: From complete ease to complete fear?

Post by yougarksooo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:59 am

Kiki said:
You can read these words and accept the truth behind them, but until you actually see for yourself, until you actually realize the truth of them, they will remain mere ideas which will keep the mind spinning.
Oh, this is so important. All the words from these teachers are pointing to something already within us. So the pointer is just saying "inquire within" or "look within" or "watch what is already happening." Once we take the pointer and begin inquiring in each moment, the pointer is of no or little use anymore. This is the beautiful thing because it shows me that my peace was never out here, never coming from the teacher. The teacher has nothing to give me except a gentle invitation to "watch." I love what Eckhart said in his conversation with Kim Eng about students. He reminded people that their peace is NOT coming from him. It is coming from who they already are, their own essence. The teacher's presence, when its strong, can mislead a person into believing that that same peace is not already here, within. But simply inquiring inward shows that it is here. That same essence which we respond to in the teacher is in us. This is what I think he means when he says "love is knowing who you are in your essence and then seeing that in the other." It's here, within me. I cannot know this until I stop believing that the other is giving me something.
"When people ask me who they are or who God is, I smile inside and whisper to the light: there you go again . . . pretending."

Adya

Sw Anand Devagni.

Post by Sw Anand Devagni. » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:31 pm

I like the way you say you are having difficulties being present at present :wink:

I'm going to try to describe the structure of a thought - if I had a piece of paper I'd draw it - imagine a capsule like tablets you take which have two colours on them. You see what I mean?

Now, on the one side is the content, and on the other side the belief. When the two fuse, it becomes attachment. The content can either be positive or negative, and the belief is probably generated by past experience.

To use Genpo Roshi's terms, conceive of thoughts as bubbles. Why do you prefer one bubble over another? Just sit and let them pass. BUT THE KEY IS - ONCE YOU'RE NOT ATTACHED TO THOUGHTS, YOU CAN HAVE AS MANY AS YOU LIKE, as I see it.

I'm offering this is it has helped me on my journey.

Love,

D.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:56 pm

BUT THE KEY IS - ONCE YOU'RE NOT ATTACHED TO THOUGHTS, YOU CAN HAVE AS MANY AS YOU LIKE, as I see it.
That's right - without the attachment the struggle dissolves, and before you know it thought stream subsides on its own. And when thought stream returns it isn't seen as a problem anymore.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:59 pm

Sw Anand Devagni. wrote:ONCE YOU'RE NOT ATTACHED TO THOUGHTS, YOU CAN HAVE AS MANY AS YOU LIKE, as I see it.
I like that!

It's sort of like when your little brother has to come along to the mall or somewhere, and keeps talking alot but you don't really have to respond to it all, unless he really throws a fit. The thoughts might keep meandering around but they don't stick to anything or throw a fit or mess up your life or make you feel anything in particular, and so they're easy to ignore and forget. They never amount to anything.

There is a point where the wiser knower will actually make the decisions and take the actions in life. And that's the biggest relief of all. :)