Portals

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
be-lank

Portals

Post by be-lank » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:44 am

Eckhart Tolle gives various portals, and recommends that we practice them.

What portals do you practice, and how much do you practice them?

Specifics would be great!

And what have you received from them?

heidi

Post by heidi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:53 pm

Doing art is my best portal. Time doesn't exist in the act of creation. The ego falls away. I am creation. The joy is huge. Art as a verb (that's what I call one of the classes I teach) :)

Running on the beach is also a goody. Sex is good, too! :)

And in everyday mundane mindstuff - to pull into now, I consider whether what's going through my head is a thought or feeling, and then thoughts just wander off and the feeling is there in a pure state. When mind stuff comes along, there's this one japanese word honto that means is that so. It cuts right through the mind mire leaving presence in its wake.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

prospero

Post by prospero » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:50 pm

Like Heidi I am artistically/visually driven. Sometimes just observing a physical object, be it a passing car or an ashtray, as it actually is, moment to moment, is enough to lock me into presence.

just physically observing 'what is that?' with no internal dialogue, is a portal into 'i am that' :D

A big thing for me now is not to use portals just when I am feeling uncomfortable but in all moments nomatter 'happy' or 'sad'. Our reaction is often to want to fix things and turn presence into another spiritual bandaid if you see what I mean?
the unexamined life is not worth living
the unlived life is not worth examining

dancer

Post by dancer » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:16 am

I had an experience once where the inner dimension opened up, during this event I learned to surrender totally to the now. Another way of putting that of course is to be totally aligned with the present moment. This is my portal.
:)

onelovecandy

breath

Post by onelovecandy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:57 am

I enter the now several times a day, I focus on my breathing. Deep breaths in and out.
Stay in the light.

phil

Post by phil » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:49 pm

heidi wrote:Doing art is my best portal. Time doesn't exist in the act of creation.
An interesting conumdrum exists when one's art is words, a media so closely related to thought.

Animals. In our case squirrels, cats and deer.

Lay down on the floor with a cat and rub their belly. I get sucked in to the wonderful now space they live in.

Enter the squirrel cage, and let 4 squirrels race around on me like I was the Daytona Speedway. They are so enthusiastically committed to this moment, I can't escape the now field they create around me.

Walking in the woods, encountering a deer, or herd of deer. They turn towards me. For 10 minutes we each stand still regarding each other with such focused alert curiousity. It's as if I've encountered a herd of Tolles in the woods.

We don't have a dog, but I'd guess they would work great as a now portal also.

I love the lack of discipline involved in these kind of practises. Purely mechanical. If I open the door to the squirrel cage, and walk in, I enter a now zone.

Reach for handle, pull weight of door towards me, take 5 steps.

spatialbean

Post by spatialbean » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:46 pm

I want to go in the squirrel cage! :D

michellem

portals

Post by michellem » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:31 pm

just admitting to myself that i am "asleep" is a portal for me. As a beginner i am learning to become aware of "now" and how little i am in :)

be-lank

Post by be-lank » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:35 am

"just admitting to myself that i am "asleep" is a portal for me."

Good one, Michelle. And beginning to watch your thoughts will be a portal
as well. Like when you have a thought and you look at that thought. Just noticing the thought.

Glad you're here!

dee

Post by dee » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:31 pm

Going into the inner body.

Observing a thought.

being with my dog

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:36 am

A moment of silence. A vision of beauty. A feeling of gratitude.

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:26 pm

I become so aware at times how much I am not in the now...I then smile.
Chaz

L. Bryson

Post by L. Bryson » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:38 am

Yippee! :D I am back in the now! ( duh-ed out on my password, Thank- you Erict. )

Being in the now for me involves much of what you all have mentioned.
Focus on breathing, attention to objects, nature and yes.... animals.

In the " now " " housegoose " is enjoying wonderful moment of presence.

Marwyn, upside down on my lap as I type, basking in having his flappy feet massaged. Head resting on silk pillow.... Aaaah..... can't get any better than this!

Infusing him with compliments on the brilliance of his vibrant orange feet! Aaaah... perfect.

L.
L. Bryson

heidi

Post by heidi » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:07 am

Hi Laurie - Glad you got your password straightened out.

Canada geese are coming through these days. They graze on the thawing fields and honk in chrous in their chevron flight. Geese know how to cooperate instinctively; they use the uplift from the goose ahead; they encourage each other, they take turns being head goose; ego free and flying high! Ah, just watching them fly over is an exhilerating portal!
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

summer

Post by summer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:51 am

In my neck of the woods we often see pelicans flying in formation. The first bird takes all of the head winds, and when they get tired another bird takes their place.

The ones in the tail of the formation have an easy ride, because the first birds create a thermal of energy that supports them all.

They work as a team. And play so gracefully together, that it is delightful just to watch them.
Last edited by summer on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.