Surrender - I don't get it

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
spikyface

Surrender - I don't get it

Post by spikyface » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:32 pm

Ok so I was listening to PTPON this morning and remember hearing Tolle saying:

"Surrender is not resignation, if you are stuck in the mud you do not say to yourself, 'OK I'm stuck in the mud'"
(which I find hilarious by the way because I always picture Tolle stuck in quicksand saying this)

But I don't really understand how to surrender to a situation and at the same time try to change it

Is it like - "ok I've made a mistake, there's no point dwelling on the mistake because that's not going to help anyone, what can I now do to fix it?"

Has anyone got a definition of surrender?
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

BrahmanEternal

Re: Surrender - I don't get it

Post by BrahmanEternal » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Lol Spiky that was quite funny imagination you have. :)

I think one of the main reasons people can not surrender is because they do not trust Silence and the power it has, people think that their problems can not be solved in silence but that is the only place where feelings, emotions and moods can be processed, and that is all that is needed not a sought after outcome that will be beginning of another heavy story soon after it happens. You are not imagining the worse situation then this one either, you are just being in the perfection of suchness of this very moment, balanced in your natural state that has power to heal , to grant you deep peace and joy.
Stop thinking about finding the Silence, make a decision to stop, stop right now because the fact you are seeking it shows you are not in the Silence. :) It means you are rejecting what is right here and right now for something Better in the future so what kind of spiritual person are you , shame on you. :)
Ok i m joking a bit, but joking aside that is the truth, being You is so simple, visit the silence, rest your mind, find your peace, then go out of the shelter and do your thing in the second reallity, the first and primary reallity is inside not outside, this is the most important thing to know.

The problem is you are seeking without being aware of it, thoughts in your mind shows what ego thinks of as a way of finding resolution, these thoughts are fueled by desire that aims toward a certain goal your ego thinks of as a way of making you free, this is an unconcious process that keeps people in constant search for the truth, but realize that any search for the truth has nothing to do with the truth because truth is not out there , it is in there so how can it be found? The only way to find it is to completely and absolutely quit the search for it.
Last edited by BrahmanEternal on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Acceptance of the facts of your situation is where resistance is transcended. I think the word "surrender" makes the ego think of giving in or losing, when in fact, all surrender really is is accepting the truth.
So, you are stuck in the mud. That's the fact and you surrender to its truth, and within that surrendering comes great power of presence where unsticking has the space to take place. :) So, instead of wasting your power on fighting against the fact that you are stuck and sinking deeper, you can take that power and use it.

There's this great quote by Caroline Myss I love:
Quit the BS and let go of the steering wheel.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:38 pm

So, you are stuck in the mud. That's the fact and you surrender to its truth, and within that surrendering comes great power of presence where unsticking has the space to take place.
Hahahahha, that's great!

I think I kinda get it now

So it comes from acceptance of the current situation, as is, without labelling it as anything
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:55 pm

And without resistance to it.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:26 pm

The clearest description I've found so far was by Byron Katie. (paraphrased)
Which is more empowering?

1. I wish I hadn't lost my job. What am I going to do now?

2. I've lost my job. Ok, what can I do about it?

The first one is resistance and hopelessness. The second one is an acceptance of what is, along with a desire to move forward. The example Eckhart gave is essentially the same. If you're stuck in the mud, do you stay there and wish it didn't happen and fantasize about being out of it, or do you simply start trying to find a way out?

Vernon Howard gave similar advice when asked about how to handle the rainstorms of life. His response was "have the good sense to get in out of the rain." :mrgreen:

Ok, another Vernon Howard story.

A man bought a property out in the country and went there every weekend to fix up the land. A month later, while working on the landscape, he was approached by a real estate agent who informed him of a mistake. His property was not the one he was working on, but the one next to it. Upon hearing the information, the man knew what to do. He gathered his tools and began working on the correct property.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:36 pm

By identifying with something you create pain, then you create desire to get out of this pain, but this desire is like oil thrown on fire, you can not think a way out of suffering, you can only surrender to it and surrendering means total abscence of any desire. Well actually you can take a good whiskey and numb the pain for some time but it comes back even stronger.
Last edited by BrahmanEternal on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 pm

Ahhhhh I seeee

Ok I get it now, Sparks' stories cemented it for me

I love stories, they're awesome!

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:51 pm

Desire is born of belief that something is better then something else, this is not enlightenment.
This is crossroad where you choose ego or being.
Free of need to be Free.

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Surrender is not giving up. It is about accepting the reality of the situation. If there is something that can be done, we accept that we (if we have a moral duty to do so) have the responsibility of effecting that change. If what is being accepted is simply too much on a practical and emotional level, we may find we need to back off...and we can accept that, choosing to keep our energies and resources intact until the nature of the time changes. If we are in a situation that we can neither effect or move away from, then we accept that...together with all the content the situation gives rise to. Acceptence and surrender are not states of defeat, rather they are sane responses in an insane human society.

When we resist the content, unconsciusly we are resisting the moment, the eternal moment that the content arises in. By accepting content we accept the moment, the now and find that its power and vastness dwarfs and then washes away the negative relationship we have with content. It is useless to think that engineering content will bring lasting happiness...what brings either lasting happiness or continuing suffering is the relationship we have with the content. Do we offer it acceptance and love, or resistence and resentment?

Our choice, no matter what.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

niamh

Post by niamh » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi...

Surrender doesn't mean giving in, I think it means not getting mad with the situation or angry or tearful or lamenting in your head about it or feeling a failure or feeling why me, or I'm always attracting bad luck etc, surrender means, ok, you're stuck in the mud, and then do something to change it but you don't have this baggage of thought surrounding being stuck in the mud, ie, its always me, how dare this happen to me etc etc and all of the above, thats what I think it means...

Everytime you feel hurt, singled out or picked on or that life has dealt you a shitty hand and you get angry, tearful, upset, raging, ranting etc etc, even if its all going on within you, then thats the ego, it aint personal, life is, stuff happens, how you deal with it is what counts...

Does that make sense.

cheers nimah x

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:58 am

I agree, Brahman, you can't think you way out of suffering. It's like trying to find your way out of a completely dark room where the furniture has been rearranged, using only the mind. You have to feel your way out.
Unfortunately many of us have been so programmed to try and think our way of suffering that we don't even know we're doing it, or we have an illusion that it actually works. Like playing a slot machine. Every once in a while you win.

Wings

Post by Wings » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:02 am

Situations and more at times can cause pain, consternation etc. of the kind which relief or change is needed. As mentioned, surrender is a form of acceptance of a given situation.

If I remember correctly, ET said there are three (3) things one can do in a uncomfortable situation:

1. Do all you can to change it so it can work for you.
2. If you can’t change it but still desire to stay in this situation, then wholly surrender (accept it) and become everything you can to find happiness within it.
3. If the first two don’t work for you, then move on, life is large.

gretta

Post by gretta » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:57 am

"Don't look for peace. Don't look for any other
state than the one you are in now; otherwise,
you will set up inner conflict and unconscious
resistance.

Forgive yourself for not being at peace. The
moment you completely accept your non-peace,
your non-peace becomes transmuted into
peace. Anything you accept fully will get you
there, will take you into peace. This is the
miracle of surrender.

When you accept what is, every moment is the
best moment. That is enlightenment."

Practicing the Power of Now

Eckhart Tolle
New World Library, 2001

perhaps

ahh Love

gretta

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:00 am

gretta wrote:.

"
When you accept what is, every moment is the
best moment. That is enlightenment."

Practicing the Power of Now

Eckhart Tolle
New World Library, 2001

perhaps

ahh Love

gretta
I have to print this and put it above my bed.
Free of need to be Free.