Technology For Now Newbies

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Technology For Now Newbies

Postby phil » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:22 pm

In regards to a question on meditation, Tolle was saying that numerous short now experiences throughout the day would be preferable to one long now experience.

I was thinking it might be handy to have a gadget companion that reminded us to revisit now on a regular basis.

Say, maybe a watch that we could program to beep once every 15 minutes to start a now period. And beep again a minute later to signal the end of that period.

So, in between the 2 beeps a now focus takes priority over whatever task we're involved in at that time. We can keep on doing the task of course, but the number one goal for that minute is to observe now, not to be lost in the task.

Experienced nowsters will likely find this unnecessary, but perhaps a mechanical aid like this would be helpful for novice nowsters?

It would be helpful here. If anyone has suggestions of specific gadgets that could accomplish this your suggestions are welcome.

As I look around my office I see thousands of dollars of technology for other agendas. I guess I can afford to spend a few bucks on a now watch too.
phil

Postby L. Bryson » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:18 pm

Morning Phil,

How about a basic, extremly simplistic approach. Your run of the mill oven timer! Can be set in increments of minutes, portable, and can double as an alarm clock. lol! I think your real calling must be an inventor!
Do you have a basement? :D

My "now" is waiting on contractor to tear out my dining room wall.
He has approximatly one half hour to show or call or.... I'm outta here!
His "now" will be a lighter work schedule and a lighter wallet to boot!

Yes, I am AWARE that in my present " now" there is some serious annoyance showing up!

L.
L. Bryson
L. Bryson

Postby heidi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:20 pm

Strangely, my mind is my presence reminder! When I catch myself at a non-present antic, such as wanting traffic to go faster or waiting in line at the post office, I pull myself into the now with the simple knowing that everything is as it should be. Certain things that used to set off not-nowness, wuch as waiting, now set off nowness.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby L. Bryson » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:32 am

I like that Heidi... " not nowness " ( smile ) Yes, I too hold to the " it is all as it should be " premise myself. I have been realizing that for whatever reason's I have been challenged lately by some others that fail to communicate their intentions clearly and follow through. This is one thing that is hard for me to let go of at times.

I am very articulate and pet peeve are those that say " maybe, probably,
I don't know. " This one's a biggy for me! Contractor did show up as I was leaving this am and " now " we're back to " probably Thursday! "
It seems I have experienced a lot of this latly in my dealings with others.

Wondering why these situations are showing up so much latly.
What's the lesson?

L.
L. Bryson
L. Bryson

Postby phil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:21 am

GooseGirl, I'll try to reply to your post. It'll probably be later tonight, but I'm not sure, it could maybe be some other time too. The only thing I can tell you for sure is it will be now when I type my reply.

There you go, see? We typing contractors are in fact quite precise! If you had one of Basement Invention's iNow Watches, you'd know this now. :-)

Well girls, your suggestions were very simple and sensible, with much common sense. So sorry, your patent applications are denied. Next!

You see, we here at Basement Inventions Industries are working to develop now products for the real world mass market, where simple, sensible common sense products are unwanted.

We want now to explode past the narrow confines of a particular tiny community, and infect the dominant culture in a big way. That means developing ego friendly tools with lots of features and profit potential.

Imagine the Power Of Now really taking off.

Kinda like when Christianity took over the Roman Empire. Europe was transformed forever, and so was Christianity. Can you imagine Jesus in the Vatican? Nah, me neither. The original disciples would be flabergasted by church buildings that cost millions of dollars, eh?

As goofy as Now Watches (count how many hours a week you are in now!) would seem to one of Tolle's audiences, it's only a tiny beginning of how the mainstream culture will reshape the cultural environment of now. It most likely will not be a process of everyone turning in to somebody who would fit in nicely at a Tolle lecture.

Just as happened with the Christian/Roman merger, the dominant culture of the past will reshape the new philosophy and it's birthing culture almost beyond recognition.

Basement Inventions Industries is currently seeking investors, and I'm telling ya, this is the time to get in on the ground floor. :-)
phil

Postby phil » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:40 pm

Well, the Now Watch remains under development, but yesterday I discovered how useful another gadget is.

Put Tolle on our new iPod and took him out in the woods. Listening to him with headphones is great, it's like he's talking from right in the middle of your brain. All his little giggles and breaths, bubbling up from inside of your own mind, pretty cool.

I have 7 hours of Tolle on the iPod, and got through 5 hours of it while walking through the woods all afternoon. A mobile retreat.

Audio/video multimedia packs more punch than the books, don't you think?

Yet another irony. Electronic media could be the biggest distraction from now these days, but when you hook it up to the right content, it redeems itself.
phil

Postby L. Bryson » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:40 pm

" A mobile retreat ", like that Phil. " Maybe " with your active imagination you can " invent " way to translate Tolle into all of nature. Of course my ant colony would certainly be living in the " now " Observed interesting ant behavior last evening. As much as I dislike the chemical treatments had no other choice ( short of trying to lure ant's out of wall with flute playing ) but to bring out the emergency Black Flag. Noticed that after the initial holocost, survivor's " ascended " to the ceiling.

Did'nt have the heart to blast the heavens again. Leave that to the Orken guy! :) Aaah.... when the suffering become's too much no where else to go but up. :D

L.
L. Bryson
L. Bryson

Postby be-lank » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:11 pm

Okay. Okay. Who let the squirrel out of the cage?
be-lank

Postby phil » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:29 pm

Welcome back LisaRaptor!
phil

Postby phil » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:32 pm

L. Bryson wrote:short of trying to lure ant's out of wall with flute playing

Ha! That's funny. :-)

Well, you kind ladies haved lured this squirrel out of his hermit cage with your musical postings, so ants shouldn't be so hard.
phil

Postby be-lank » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:04 pm

Thanks Philly.

Got my Mo-Jo back. I’ll see if I can keep it.

I missed ya!

I like you out in the open like this.

(Smacking of beak.)

I promise to be gentle, dear.

(And Hi and Love to All!)
be-lank

Postby heidi » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:09 am

Hi Lisa - So, what's your Now machine? :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby be-lank » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:04 am

Hi Heidi of the Arts,

Answer: "Attention." Placing attention back on attention- instead of the self. Presently- ha- watching it. Slowing it down. Being in the moment- instead of in mind-streams. This is a great practice format for me. If I can handle it. We'll see!

Please say "Attention"- if you see I am getting carried away.

I always salute that!

Love ya
be-lank

Postby phil » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:13 am

be-lank wrote:Please say "Attention"- if you see I am getting carried away.

Now this request could indeed by automated. Simple. As a new post exceeds X number of words, the new post form would pop up a window asking, "Are we getting carried away?"

Discussion boards on the subject of silence require advanced technology not needed on other boards. :-)
phil

Postby L. Bryson » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:03 pm

Phil......

Are you still in the basement? :D

L.
L. Bryson
L. Bryson

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion