Joy, Ease and Lightness - Your birthright?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Joy, Ease and Lightness - Your birthright?

Postby gordon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:50 am

Just like to say "hello' to everyone...
and throw out a topic for discussion.

When I listened to ET tapes I heard him mention that a good question to ask out throughout the day "Is there joy, ease and ligtness in what I am doing right now?" If there isn't, than it's probable the ego has stepped back in and is pulling levers and pushing buttons. Which would imply that our inherent being is joyous.
But what about these levels of joy. ease and lightness? When I am conscious and experienceing the NOW, it is without doubt the best feeling but in some ways I am quietly expecting more.

I think that my levels of Joy aren't as expressive as other peoples and that's where I start to slip out of the NOW and I start telling myself that I must be, naturally, a miserbale sod! But then I ask myself "am I really a miserbale sod?" and the layer underneath says reveals that "I am NOT" but in some warped way my ego is producing a 'front' that tells people I Am.

How messed up is that? It's messed up because I now know ( throught the tapes) and mentioned in A course in miracles --that along life's path my ego took on that persona and quietly sold unhappy to all I met - I was unconscious.
Anyway - I dumped all that same second I woke up -- it's good to be here with you all! -
gordon

Re: Joy, Ease and Lightness - Your birthright?

Postby phil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:47 am

Gordon, you miserable sod, welcome to the forum from another miserable sod. :-) You've touched on a topic that has interested me lately.

gordon wrote:I think that my levels of Joy aren't as expressive as other peoples and that's where I start to slip out of the NOW and I start telling myself that I must be, naturally, a miserbale sod!

It may be helpful for us to make a very clear distinction between the actual experience of now, and anybody's interpretations of that experience.

As example, "our inherent being is joyous" is an interpretation, a theory or conclusion about our experience.

I find interpretations to be great fun (and I have lots of them to prove it!), but it's becoming clearer here that coming to now with any kind of interpretation obscures our observation of now.

If I have a theory that I will find XYZ in now, then I will be looking for XYZ in now, not fully observing whatever is.

If I welcome you in to my house with the comment, "Watch out for those movie stars making love on my sofa" you will likely spend your whole time in my house wondering "What room is the sofa in anyway?" and you won't see my house for what it is until that question is answered.

Is joy, ease and lightness our birthright? Does any human being on earth actually know FOR A FACT what our creator, whoever that may be, intended as our birthright?

For me, the answer is most likely not. Though, not being God myself, I can't say that with certainty either.

If we look at all these big picture interpretations this way they can still be fun to explore, but they lose some weight, and could perhaps thus be easier to set aside when we enter now.

Again, welcome, nice post.

PS. I'm guessing everybody will love this post until they realize I'm referring to Tolle's interpretations too. :twisted:
phil

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion