Sense Of Isolation

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Trev

Sense Of Isolation

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi All, My life has recently undergone some big changes --- left a 16 year relationship/moved home twice in 12 months/left my job after 10 years in the same occupation. I am now about to get married(June) and am ticking over work wise with no real security but earning some money -enough to contribute some to rent/food ect. In some ways I have a lot going for me and I try to remember that amongst all the changes -- most of which I think have been positive. However I do feel an acute sense of isolation in a fundamental area of life --ie the type of questions and thoughts that Eckhart speaks of. When I broach any related subjects I can see a certain rolling of eyes or 'whats he going on about-lets change the subject' attitudes from colleagues/partners ect. Beyond the mundane/lets have a laugh/no one seems interested. Any ideas of how to find satisfaction/purpose in life seems to be confined to promotion/status at work,family,nice house/car ect and 'having a laugh'. All laudable but a bit like eating candy floss when hungry!! Do you ever feel this??.

weichen

Re: Sense Of Isolation

Post by weichen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:51 pm

That is the challenge for all spiritual teacher: how to connect with other people.

Even Eckhart probably sense the same isolation, because although many millions of people connect with his teaching, billions of people are either unaware of it or can not understand it.

We are much more fortunate than people a century ago, spiritual teaching that deviates from church could be in very serious risk at that time. Now, Eckhart is free to criticize organized religion.

But the challenge still remains: how to connect with the majority of people. This challenge force you to understand how other people think, what language do they use, what do they really care about. This force you to think outside yourself, push your awareness to a larger scope, force you to rephrase spiritual teaching with special language that your audience can understand.
Last edited by weichen on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:56 pm

Yes Trev, your experience with those around you is common. If you are going to share your understandings with others, be prepared for disappointment if you expect them to suddenly change course in their lives in favor of Tolle style awakenings. It could happen, but most people don't respond to unsolicited encouragement to change their lives. Until their time comes to seek deeper understanding of their true nature, they will have little motivation to be open to unfamiliar concepts.

Live in the comfort of your own deepening awareness. Experience life from a perspective that is inclusive of others ego mindset, however limiting it might appear. If you are in a relationship with someone who doesn't yet share your awakening perception, you will need an accepting attitude of that persons right to be different. Press them to change at your own peril.

Essentially we are all on our own when it comes to awakening. If one does not have an independent internal motivation to personally experience truth, then external proding will do little to reveal it. Be at peace with that knowledge. To live otherwise will only slow your own awakening.

Ang

Post by Ang » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:03 pm

Yep, its a pretty lonely path sometimes! Like you, I have nobody (but this forum) to discuss things with and to gain encouragement. Good Luck.

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Agree with Trev and Ang. There is a definate sense of isolation. At one point, it raised to the level of panick for me. I think it is a phase and eventually it does passes.

That is why I thank God for this board, and thank absolutely wonderful moderators and so many other travellers on this board.

There is isolation, loneliness, discomfort, panick, lack of sleep, changes in people, habits, changes in perceptions, level of understanding, changes even in physical body.

This is a very common experience and seems like a necessary phase.

Narz

Post by Narz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:32 pm

Ironically I feel this sense of isolation about mutliple things. Many issues I am concerned w/ the people here would probably give me blank stares (virtually of course) about if I brought up. Breaking this sense of isolation thru finding a community (a REAL one, a group of usernames in cyberspace doesn't count) is one of my goals in life at this time.

I suppose I could temporarily (and falsely IMO) break thru this by going off in the woods to meditate on my connection to all things. But eventually I'd have to come back to my little apartment in suburbia and face everyday life (just like I could go off and fast but eventually I'd have to come back and eat). Humans are social animals. Good luck!
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”

InfinityCurve - my YouTube Channel :)

gdvant

Post by gdvant » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:49 pm

Isolation implies identity is established in the background, yet
the background is the accumulated experience of the group.
If we see this, we can see that the thinker is thought, is the
mind of man. So where consciousness is not caught in the
past as content operating in the present, if that is not what
is occurring inwardly, is there isolation? Or is there just no
way to consciously commune with human beings who are
caught in time and inwardly disconnected from nature,
from the whole of life? It is paradoxical that when there
is no sense of 'in here' apart from anything 'out there',
to the world of man, you are a complete outsider.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:23 am

It could be that your isolation and those around you are essential to your awakening.

That is how I try to think when I have those thoughts.

OR you could go the Warren Zevon route: "Splendid Isolation, I don't need no-one."
Be present, be pleasant.