Personality

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Personality

Postby Sighclone » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm going to ramble on a bit here, and hope for more input...

Before Awakening, we have a personality. Of course, our sense of self is mostly ego (and I say mostly, because there is always a small presence of Being). I think one of the tricks ego uses to keep us from the final step is "you will lose your personality." Now that is pretty scary. I will not be myself? No one will recognize me? I won't be able to be spontaneous? My belief is that as WebWanderer (or was it tiki?) has said here, that personality is a set of attributes, generally used (and abused) by the ego. For me, after Awakening, I was pretty childish for a few days. But my personality was actually pretty much intact, and the Divine Filter of Being enabled me to detect any return of the mind/form-based ego as it would rise from Stillness.

Could I still tell jokes? Yes, but those based in ego would not be told again, nor would I be laughing at them. Would I still be startled by a driver cutting me off? Might a modiculm of anger surface for an instant? - yup, but only to dissolve when addressed by Consciousness - total time 3 seconds. Like the ducks in the pond. Could I still love my family? Yes, in very special ways unavailable before crossing over.

So I got to keep what was for me 90% of my personality. Probably there are some Scrooges who will be magically different after Awakening - I was lucky to not have to change much - could still wear most of the old attributes. I don't waste time in grinding fruitless thinking, however. And I get a lot more of the Quadrant II stuff (important but not urgent) done.

Other thoughts?

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: Personality

Postby kiki » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Personality wise there is no difference than before except the egoic intrusions which imposed themselves on my personality are gone. Shyness and reluctance to say things, especially to strangers, is gone, yet I am perfectly content not to say anything in whatever situation I'm in. Social situations are no longer uncomfortable, and I don't use my sense of humor to ingratiate myself with others as I once did. My sense of humor is fully intact and comes out as a natural response to situations rather than used as a way of making myself appear better in others' eyes. I think I am more spontaneous than I ever was, which I find to be delightful - life is so much more interesting and fresh when lived spontaneously.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:27 pm

My take on personality is that it is greatly dependant on ego content. If one has a Tolle type transformation, or a “Saul of Tarsus awakening”, the change in personality can be quite dramatic. Consider also those who undergo a near death experience. The awakening to a greater reality of being often turns them on the spot. In these cases dramatic changes in personality can be evident.

For most however, as in many who have come to this forum after spending years on “the path”, a great deal of personality transformation has already happened. In this case awakening, though significant from inside, may not be so evident from another’s point of view. One may notice fewer outbursts and a deeper sense of peace, but the persona is just as recognizable as before; and from the perspective of casual observer, no change at all may be noticed.
Webwanderer

Postby Sighclone » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37 pm

I just love the moderators here. wow. thanks, ww.
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Sighclone » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:15 am

Interesting to read this four years hence. I still pretty much agree with my first impressions...but I had a lot of back-filling to do, which is still taking place...

Andy
Sighclone

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:24 pm

It was interesting for me Sighclone that the personalities here in this earlier thread hadn't changed much at all and your perspectives all seem pretty much the same too, apart from not calling Kiki Tiki :wink:
Although Kiki... Tiki is cute too!

Webby mentioned nde folks. It's been 30 years (just passed) since I had the nde and even from before it I think I still have a core person-ality that expresses itself. The aspects that have changed, grown, are more on the inside than the outside.

I know the biggest 'difference' coming back into my body and this life after the nde was truly understanding the power of love and compassion over fear and separation in an inner sense. Expressing it on the outside is still something that sometimes takes immense courage - not in the 'big' things in life, it's easier if you have a wider sense of purpose, but in the little things in life, the day to day unnecessary fears we engage with.

One of the hardest things I notice is not scaring folks with that immense power, just is-ness (of love). It may not look like the 'Hallmark' kind at times, and there is the balancing of recognising when a recipient reacts in fear to the immensity of it.

Consciously knowing you are love makes you look maybe different to others at times, but it's still expressed within the same person-ality, traits and vehicles of expression that you 'leaned' towards prior to the awareness of it.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby kiki » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:25 am

Although Kiki... Tiki is cute too!

:lol: I love it! Maybe I should change my board name. :D
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Lola76 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:04 am

This post is interesting. It's been suggested to me on a couple of occasions that my personality was lacking. Yes, it seems living as a more awakened person has it's challenges. People can see your stillness, quiet presence, lack of desire to ingratiate yourself as lack of personality. This bothers me, whether it should or not. Those who know me are delighted by my humor, candor, and insights. But to the random unconscious person, I am lacking.

Also, I've had experiences like Eckhart reported having in A New Earth, where he was eating in a restaurant when a highly unconscious person came in, looked at Eckhart and began abusing the wait staff. After the man had been thrown out, the waitress asked Eckhart if he was responsible for that occurrence. Well, I haven't seen anything that dramatic, but I have been targeted by highly unconscious individuals from time to time, who seem to sense my awareness and apparently are simultaneously drawn to and repelled by it. I swear I've done nothing to provoke this response from strangers.

This path is not without serious challenges and an absolute need for courage. :roll:
Lola76

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:15 am

Kki/Tiki said: I love it! Maybe I should change my board name.

This could be your new pic :wink:

Lola said: This path is not without serious challenges and an absolute need for courage.

... and a sense of humour Lola :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Sighclone » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Before any experiences of awakening (or the many other words which are used), we had great gobs of conditioning to build our autopilot egos. Those conditioned responses are still not far from the surface. And are still available as needed. Your intuition will tell you how to respond to people and situations, and no, you won't always pick the "perfect" response. But your intuition will be informed from a much deeper (or higher?) level. And loving responses are heard by the Atman (inner Being) in the recipient. Now their egos might distort and intercept and rework things...

Andy
Sighclone

Postby Lola76 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:15 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:
Kki/Tiki said: I love it! Maybe I should change my board name.

This could be your new pic :wink:

Lola said: This path is not without serious challenges and an absolute need for courage.

... and a sense of humour Lola :wink:

Lol- agreed. Then again, some things aren't funny.
Lola76

Postby Lola76 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:22 am

Sighclone wrote:Before any experiences of awakening (or the many other words which are used), we had great gobs of conditioning to build our autopilot egos. Those conditioned responses are still not far from the surface. And are still available as needed. Your intuition will tell you how to respond to people and situations, and no, you won't always pick the "perfect" response. But your intuition will be informed from a much deeper (or higher?) level. And loving responses are heard by the Atman (inner Being) in the recipient. Now their egos might distort and intercept and rework things...

Andy

Yes, I think it goes like this:
Event- my understated response
Their ego- "um, waiting... are you going to react more than that?"
Me- Smile
Their heart: "She's smiling at me... that feels kinda good. What does it mean?"
Their ego: "Don't even go there, heart! There must be something wrong with her. That wasn't the reaction I wanted!"
Me: Sigh. "I know I touched them. I could see it in their eyes for one brief moment, but now it's awkward. Too bad."

Something like that, Andy :-)
Lola76

Postby Sighclone » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 am

Exactly.

Then perhaps is the time for one more question...."What just happened?" (Even if you know the answer... :) )

Andy
Sighclone

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion