Portal Power

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Postby Clare » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:02 am

be-lank wrote:Gee, what if Phil IS right?
What if he has been right all along?

I think Phil is right.

As for freaky avatars, I'm a dog dressed as a pirate here. I think it needs no modification. I win. Hands down.

As for portals, nature is a portal for me as I've said so many times before, things of beauty are a portal and creativity is a portal - either my own or someone else's.

Piracy is a portal - or port-hole if you will. Yep, yep, skullduggery works for me...... :wink: (actually when I seriously think about it, my pirate persona is a parody of my ego-self, and in laughing at it and making it the jigging rum-swilling clown, I see it from another place, so I guess it really is a true portal :) )

Back to the English Intorturive....sorry, Intensive. I am really missing beauty. The classrooms are these horrible grey things. The whole building needs some serous Fengshui. The air stinks of smog, frying egos and desperation, with just a hint of book and marker pen. I haven't seen a bird in a tree for three weeks. I'd go out now to look for one, but I have about four days work to do in two days, and whilst the most sensible thing to do of course is to procrastinate on here with some vague hope that it will make it go away, I know that I now have to give up hope that this is true and just get on with it. Sleep is a distant memory. Anyone got any ideas how I can get a portal in here? I need a portal Reeeeaaal baaad! Perferably to some distant planet that gives a reasonable amount of time for study projects, and where flowers in classrooms is mandatory.

I know you guys can do it :wink:

Love, Clare
"The day is full of birds.
Sounds like they're saying words."

Kate Bush - "Aerial"
:)
Clare

Postby phil » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:59 pm

Clare wrote:As for freaky avatars, I'm a dog dressed as a pirate here. I think it needs no modification. I win. Hands down.

Oh my gosh, you're right. Dogs dressed in little costumes are as freaky as you can get! :-)

Winner and still champion, Clare PirateDog!
phil

Postby heidi » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:02 pm

Some classroom portals: You are in the front facing the students. Pick a student toward the back of the room and notice the space between you and him/her. Do this for any student any time. Listen to the space between. Listen to the space between the words. Each time you have interaction with a student give him/her your absolute total, undivided attention (This is a real challenging yet pleasing portal). Look at the features of a student. Note each element of their face such as dots, circles, curved lines of the facial features, negative space...

That was fun. :)
HTH-H
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Clare » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:35 pm

These are great ideas, Heidi, thanks. It's hard to stay present when you have someone in the corner of the room marking your every move with a tick or a cross, and you could fail the lesson at any minute. But I think when I am teaching in a more naturalistic setting, these techniques sound really amazing. Perhaps I will try them even in the circumstances I am in now. There's only now, right? :)
"The day is full of birds.
Sounds like they're saying words."

Kate Bush - "Aerial"
:)
Clare

Portal Power

Postby Joan Ofarc » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:37 pm

I am discovering that Music is a portal for me.

After reading about the suggested portals in the PON - SPACE, SILENCE, SURRENDER........ I started to pay attention to the silences - between sounds........

But, the place where I live in - I am surrounded by sounds of various kinds all the time....!

I noticed that I was paying attention to the sounds themselves as they originated and disappeared into the silence.

I also found myself "looking" at these sounds without any thoughts - just enjoying them .... even the sounds in crowded places, in the midst of traffic - I listen to them like music....

" Music of Sound " ? " Sound of Music " ?

I Love Music - have always loved. Actually ' I Love Music ' does'nt effectively convey what I feel for Music.

Since a very young age, I've been aware of the very 'cannot-be-captured-by-words' quality of music..... the essence of Music. I think this indescribable quality is what makes Music work as a portal for me .... I think my mind tries - tries to put

into language, fails and gives up, stops.

I also notice that when I am singing or listening to Music, life flows with ease for me - I am not stuck with anything.
Joan Ofarc

Postby JedEye » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:56 pm

I love sounds portal too.

I heard on art lectures "to draw a sound on a piece of paper". shocked me :shock:

By the way my art teacher tells about how his conciousness grew up, how he started to see world and people differently, started to hear and think differently after years of doing art things. An art portal. Don`t have to know it`s there, it works anyway :)
no more words
JedEye

Postby summer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:09 pm

Welcome, Joan,
I really enjoyed reading your description of how music and silence is a portal for you. Being a more "visual' person myself, I have never experienced music in the way that you describe.

My thoughts are to not even bother with trying to find words to describe your experience. Keep the mind out of it, and enjoy your gift just the way it is.

It sounds wonderful :)
summer

Previous

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion