Vpopov81

Re: Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor - awakening

Post by Vpopov81 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:58 am

I really enjoyed this.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:36 am

The most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Eckhart's got to join up with her. I hope she knows about him.

Sarasvati-How did you find this? Mods: Can you get this to Eckhart?

Nebula

Post by Nebula » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:17 pm

Watched it - agree - amazing! Watch it if you haven't already!
"If it is the quality of your consciousness at this moment that determines the future, then what is it that determines the quality of your consciousness? Your degree of presence"

Awareness

Post by Awareness » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:15 pm

She is in confusion, she still thinks that her consciousness is a brain product,
her talk is not peaceful at all , it is mostly mind driven and she just can't stop talking about it.
This is far away from Tolle's teaching , i hope too some day this woman come across the original message
be that Tolle or anyone else.

Vpopov81

Post by Vpopov81 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:42 pm

Awareness wrote:She is in confusion, she still thinks that her consciousness is a brain product,
her talk is not peaceful at all , it is mostly mind driven and she just can't stop talking about it.
This is far away from Tolle's teaching , i hope too some day this woman come across the original message
be that Tolle or anyone else.

Yes on my 2nd watch of the video I couldn't help but notice that it was mind based energy during her recollection and how it was a bit of falseness in her delivery. NOt falseness as in it didnt happen but falseness as in like people who deliver a poetry performance. Like alot of nervous energy. Can't really put it into words but I know this woman had a tremendous experience but while delivering this speech she lost the now. I still don't think it invalidates her experience though.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:06 am

My take on it is that she was holding back on some of her experience. She is a scientist, and was speaking as a scientist. Therefore her report was based on neuro-anatamy and what happens to consciousness (through the physiscal form) when left-brain functions are suspended.

I think the part she left out was a near death experience she likely had when she died in the ambulance, but that's not science so much as mysticism, so I'm not surprized she didn't elaborate further. As I don't yet know the whole picture, this type of genuine reporting brings up some very interesting questions - at least from my view.

Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not my body, nor am I in essence a function of electro chemicals in a physical brain. Still there is a message in her report about living from a perspective beyond the mental chatter and linear progressiveness of left brain dominance. In truth we don't have to know a whole lot about it to live in clear presence, but it's none the less interesting.

BillyPLed

Post by BillyPLed » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:58 pm

Here is some correspondance between Byron Katie and Jill Bolte Taylor that was published in Katie's most recent on-line newsletter:
Of course we don't all have to have a stroke to understand the beauty of things exactly as they are. The four questions and turnarounds are enough. You can end your own your suffering.

After watching this video, I emailed Dr. Jill:

Dear Dr. Jill,

When I saw the video of your wonderful description of your stroke of insight, I recognized your experience immediately. Although I didn't have a stroke or other physical triggering event, one morning in 1986 I died as a suffering 43-yr-old woman and woke up in a state of joy that has never left me. At first there was only laughter, as a wordless inquiry burned up every concept that I had lived by. I no longer believed my thoughts-or, as you might say it, the output of my left brain lost its hold on me forever.

In time the inquiry took a form that allows me to offer it to others and, when I saw that it's possible for anyone to live as I do, it became my full-time job to facilitate the process of what I call The Work. I have written about this in several bestselling books, and I would love it if you could visit my website, http://www.thework.com, where there are videos that show me doing The Work with a variety of people. I'm curious to know your reaction and hope we can meet in person someday.

Loving what is, and that would be you,

Katie

Her reply:

Dear Katie, thank you for this kind message.

I love The Work and the message you have given the world. I read Loving What Is a couple of years ago and started giving your book to everyone I knew who needed a shift in perception. I created a Brain/Body/Mind curriculum for Indiana University and your book was on the reading list. That course was before its time at the university and never ran, but I think it will one day in the future.

I really appreciate your reaching out to me. As you can imagine I am receiving over 100 emails a day and trying to keep my head above the flood. All kinds of doors are opening to me. If you have any advice I would love to speak with you. You have been on this wild ride and I value your opinion! I wish you all the best, and I am sure that one day we will stand in the presence of one another and be at one with all that is!

Thank you again for your kindness and the gift you have given our planet.

Jill
Billy in Lousiana

meaname

Jill Bolte Taylor "My Stroke of Insight"

Post by meaname » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:27 pm

Emptiness is the ground all words rise from...
Last edited by meaname on Tue May 20, 2008 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

heidi

Re: Jill Bolte Taylor "My Stroke of Insight"

Post by heidi » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Moderator's note: The above topic/message got merged with this one to keep things tidy. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

meaname

Post by meaname » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:57 am

Heidi, Emptiness is the ground all words rise from...
Last edited by meaname on Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

heidi

Post by heidi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:52 am

This most definitely was a left hemisphere task.
Really? Indeed? And what part of your brain were you using when you made that judgment? :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:50 am

That video is just amazing.

My father died following a stroke and after seeing this video I can’t help but hope he had such an experience. Eckhart has said that at the moment of death there is a brief opportunity to awaken for those who have not done so during their physical lifetime. For just a few seconds a doorway opens up, but most people are still so identified with ego that they miss it. Maybe some people who die from stroke become awakened at that time. We can’t know if that’s so of course, but after seeing this video it’s an interesting thought.

Billy, thanks for posting the correspondence between Katie and Dr. Jill. I’ve been doing The Work a lot over the past few months and found it interesting to read what Katie thought about Jill’s experience.
Rubicon

meaname

Post by meaname » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Emptiness is the ground all words rise from...
Last edited by meaname on Tue May 20, 2008 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 pm

What part of Eckhart's brain is being used when he decides which words to write or speak? Does it matter?

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce