What if I am bored by the now?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Blue Plastic

What if I am bored by the now?

Post by Blue Plastic » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:32 pm

I am only on chapter 5 and have listened to the first 5 Tolle/Oprah podcasts, so I have a long way to go in both reading and practicing. When I try to be "present" when I am working, rather than letting those random thoughts scroll through my mind like usual, I start to feel that I am bored. I thought being bored was part of the ego, so maybe I am not really "present" even though I think I am?

I am a medical transcriptionist working at home and it's very important for me to be concentrated on what I'm doing and I was hoping that being "present" would help with my concentration and keep me from getting as distracted as I sometimes do.

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Re: What if I am bored by the now?

Post by erict » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Good question. I get bored very easily as well, in silence/stillness.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Welcome to our forum Blue Plastic.
Blue Plastic wrote:I am a medical transcriptionist working at home and it's very important for me to be concentrated on what I'm doing and I was hoping that being "present" would help with my concentration and keep me from getting as distracted as I sometimes do.
Consider what those distractions are. Are they not little mind trips into imaginary stories or internal chatter? This is how the "me" identity refines itself and persists. It lives as a sense that thinking, labeling and organizing concepts is representitive of personal identity. But it is not, it is just content within your true nature, which is undefined awareness. Any attempts to define what you are merely limits the fullness of your being, and identification with the defining creates a sense of separateness from those aspects not adopted as part of identity.

Presence awareness is your natural state. Recognize those mental constructs that represent the "me identity" and live in that recognition. Once you regain familiarity with your true being, immersing yourself in your work will not be all that significant. It's important that you are clear on what home is and reside there whenever the requirements of conducting your life are less pressing. Concentrating on our necessary tasks is something we all must do, but concentrating does not have to be identification. Recognize this distinction and rest frequently in clear presence awareness. If you feel bored with clear presence, then engage with something - just don't identify with it.

Blue Plastic

Post by Blue Plastic » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:32 pm

Consider what those distractions are. Are they not little mind trips into imaginary stories or internal chatter?
Yes, little thoughts about what I need to do, remembering something funny that I heard, and also thoughts in which I chastise myself for not getting enough done and all the other things I've ever done wrong or ever will do wrong. I was hoping that working on lessening those thoughts would not only help me in other areas of my life but also while working. Maybe it's just too much for me to be able to try to do the "presence" thing and the work thing all at once right now. I just always have this restlessness while I'm working - it's actually an interesting job, but I find myself wanting to jump to my feet all the time lately and do something else.

Even when I'm not working and am on my own time...I find myself bored by the "now" unless I am physically doing something. While doing chores, even just boring, mundane chores that I really actually hate, like washing out the cat box, I find that I can practice stillness and just be present with what I'm doing better than when I am sitting waiting for something (like a web page to load on my old outdated computer).

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:37 pm

First of all, welcome to the board, Blue Plastic.

Boredom arises out of mind, as does ego. Mind is a movement among the forms of "what is" and is never content with things just as they are - it uses memory to help it ponder the past, analyze, compare, conclude, and project into the future. Ego is creating a sense of identity out of thoughts, feelings, emotions - it seeks to judge, to justify, and to keep itself separate out of a need to survive. To say "I am bored" is to make an identification out of boredom, a mentally created condition.

While fully in the present moment there is no identification because mind has ceased its movement, therefore there is no boredom. Pay very close attention and notice when "boredom" arises - isn't it when mind is active? If there is boredom what realizes its presence? Isn't it consciousness? Can you remain as the "space" around the boredom without getting lost within it?

Do your job with the necessary attention it deserves and then notice how mind/ego will creep in with its perceived notions of how presence "should" be. There are no shoulds in presence, so when you notice those return to the task at hand. Let mind do its work and don't get caught up in "shoulds" - realize that those shoulds are egoically driven. Beneath it all is the peacefulness of silent awareness - can you sense that amidst it all?
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Blue Plastic

Post by Blue Plastic » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Can you remain as the "space" around the boredom without getting lost within it?
Ah. I will try that. :idea:

Narz

Post by Narz » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:37 pm

Boredom is a natural reaction when you're not stimulated enough. I'd suggest to make your now more interesting to you rather than trying to force yourself to practice some preconceived notion of stillness training or some such. Rats placed in highly stimulating (mentally & physically) environments lived longer & were healthier than their peers. If you're staring at a wall trying to meditate you may just get bored. Try it out in the woods perhaps and don't be afraid to take it all in. :)
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”

InfinityCurve - my YouTube Channel :)

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 am

Blue Plastic,

There are many approaches to being in the Now.

Not all of them involve sitting, stillness or no-thought.

I myself am easily distracted. Like right now I am supposed to be grading papers but here I am preaching about things I myself cannot do. :-)

Inviting what ails us, what terrifies us, what bores us, inviting it and being okay with it is the first step into the Now.

Continuing to be okay, to not react to one's patterns or stimuli, this allows us to stay on in the Now.

Being in the Now is being completely plugged into the Source/Self/Here, to where there is no mind activity left over for boredom, fear, anxiety, happiness, etc.

This is a different state or place than usual humdrum human existence that the masses consider normal.

You can conceive of this state but not until you are thoughtless and effortless and aware, will you see what it really is. Sometimes a great catastrophe brings about a temporary existence of this state.

It is who you are.

Also trying to use the Now to get stuff done is like trying to use a raging, hungry tiger as a pet who can accompany you on a walk.

This stuff if done correctly will eat you up.

It is not here to serve you. It is here to eat you up.

In conventional religions people go to church or temple so their material/spiritual wishes are fulfilled.

Similarly people can use this whole theology of the Now simply to become more concentrated or perfected in their work. Which is okay. But this is like asking God for lunch money when He/She could give you the whole universe.

I offer this as only something to consider (or reject).

---

Having some kind of meditation practice, whether it involves sitting or sport/exercise, can help.

When one stops moving or one moves very fast, thoughts and mind activity slow down and one experiences the joy inherent in one's underlying nature.

The more you access this experientially, the less you will rely on books and teachers. And the less you will want this nature to do things for you, instead you will want to be in it more and more...

Nebula

Post by Nebula » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:33 am

Hi Blueplastic.
This is something I too have been contemplating for a while. I recently started a thread entitled "My ways of avoiding the present" :
http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... f=5&t=3947
Basically, whenever I try to be in the now, (I try to feel my inner body, focus on my surroundings, focus on my breathing, slow down etc) I find myself becoming bored. I then fill my mind with "stuff", sometimes stuff that generates positive feelings eg remembering something pleasureable, or conversely as you described, replaying some event I wish i'd done differently, then feeling regret etc.
I have been wondering why the "now" seems boring.
With regards to Kiki's comment:
kiki wrote:While fully in the present moment there is no identification because mind has ceased its movement, therefore there is no boredom. Pay very close attention and notice when "boredom" arises - isn't it when mind is active? If there is boredom what realizes its presence? Isn't it consciousness? Can you remain as the "space" around the boredom without getting lost within it?
It is when I am trying to be in the present moment, when the mind has ceased it's chattering, that I experience this.
The reason I have all this noise and motion in my mind, is because I am actively trying to avoid the now. This has now become second nature to me, the momentum of this is hard to slow down.
How ridiculous and ironic that i'm trying to avoid the now!
"If it is the quality of your consciousness at this moment that determines the future, then what is it that determines the quality of your consciousness? Your degree of presence"

Kato

Post by Kato » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:11 am

What is the feeling of boredom? Is it a feeling that you wish the talk or study to be over with so you can get to a future event? Is your mind telling you that it cannot understand what is being processed so you should move on to something else? Perhaps you do need to bore the mind enough that it will leave the scene!

If you find yourself becoming too bored then quit the study instantly with as much awareness as you can. It only means too much stimulation of the mind is taking place. You may come back to the study later when you have a greater depth of awareness. In the meantime, listen to yourself breathe. Feel the energy in your body. See if you can determine what your tongue tastes like without moving it. Ah, now you are still and ready for more study!

Kato
"The Inner Voice of Kato Kaizen"
http://katokaizen.wordpress.com/

Craig

Post by Craig » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 am

I think that boredom is also a product of the ego's sense of self importance. "This situation is trivial, insignificant, unimportant. There are better things that I could be focusing my attention on. Like that other day when..."

I have certainly found this to be true in my experience. When doing a fairly mundane (the word "mundane" is almost certainly a product of egoic-thinking) task, my mind frequently does not want to be there. But why? What's wrong with that moment now, that activity that is happening now? There is only ever something "wrong" with it if I think there's something wrong with it. Otherwise, the activity just is. It's not interesting, boring, good, bad, or whatever else you mind might say about it. It's only the ego/mind that puts interpretation and spin on events.

Since I've been reading Anthony de Mello recently, I'm going to offer one of his suggestions, although Eckhart suggests pretty much the exact same thing in his own writings. Go out in nature some time and sit down and observe. Don't label things that you see, don't organize them conceptually, don't define them- just observe. As you do, you'll notice that nature/reality/God comes alive around you.

Or, if getting out into nature isn't too realistic at this point, sit on a park bench like Eckhart. Either method works.
Who am I?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:24 am

There are other meditation techniques which use a mantra to still the mind. Let's see...doing some work, decision to enter Stillness...enter stillness...feel something which I think I can label as 'bored' (now it's a thought)...here is where you would replace that thought with a mantra...not judging the thought...just let it be and replace it. Instead of a mantra, to be consistent with ET, try exploring your inner body at that point (he reminded us tonight, April 28, on the Oprah webinar about this)...how deeply can you feel it? How Present can you be? How surrendered can you be? How intimate with the present moment can you be?

And then realize that you've exhausted your capacity to be Still at that time, and joyfully re-enter work. What? Work is not joyful? Work is hard to accept? May be the real issue is the work...

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

suraj

Post by suraj » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Getting bored is something which I am grappling with a lot these days , 'trying' to remain in the now.On weekdays, when I'm off to work , there is no problem. But on weekends, when I'm free , i find myself filling up the boredom with idle TV watching/Net surfing or simply oversleeping. I'm not a very outgoing type , meaning I don't go outside the house a lot, though I should.
I constantly try to aware of the breath/inner body , but after a while , the intensity diminishes.
What would you suggest , I should do ?
I AM

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Suraj -

I'm probably not the best person to comment on boredom (it's very rare for me), but I will try. If you are bored, why are you not volunteering to help others? How about writing - have you considered contributing an article on some subject to a local publication? In my opinion, boredom is a way the universe reminds us that we have more to do. And it may not be meditating.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Kato

Post by Kato » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:46 am

Craig wrote:Since I've been reading Anthony de Mello recently, I'm going to offer one of his suggestions, although Eckhart suggests pretty much the exact same thing in his own writings. Go out in nature some time and sit down and observe. Don't label things that you see, don't organize them conceptually, don't define them- just observe. As you do, you'll notice that nature/reality/God comes alive around you.
This suddenly brought to mind an activity I performed as a young boy. I once had a very powerful magnifying glass which I would carry with me outside. I would look at nature objects so very close. The leaves, tree bark, stones, etc. looked very different from this perspective. I had no words or description for what I saw. Just amazement and awe. I can remember such a deep stillness at those times which I eventually lost and spent many years trying to get back! If I could only trade the years of study, teachers, classes, books, discussions, and meditations for a new powerful magnifying glass.

Sometimes boredom can be killed by simply looking at things from a new perspective.

Kato
"The Inner Voice of Kato Kaizen"
http://katokaizen.wordpress.com/