Seeing Beyond Form by Eckhart Tolle

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Seeing Beyond Form by Eckhart Tolle

Postby erict » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:54 am

The essence of any encounter with the teaching (or a true spiritual teacher) is to know yourself as the stillness underneath the noise. To know yourself as That.

The completeness is already here; That out of which everything arises -- the Ground of Being is your essence, and It's here, and It's so much greater than anything that happens -- vaster -- It holds, It encompasses everything.

And so gradually, you know yourself as That, not as the person, as the Consciousness Itself, and the Consciousness Itself looks.

You know It at first as the alert still attention in which you look at, say, a person. Feel the (inner) body and look with no judgement (labeling). Who is looking then? Is it you, the little person? Or, is there something greater than you looking through your eyes? Greater than you, and yet … you.

There is an energy -- Consciousness Itself is looking, not the limited conditioned consciousness as the person. If you don't know yourself as the field in which looking happens, then all you know is the form that you see, and the tragedy is, the form is not going to last very long.

You cannot lose yourself completely in mental or emotional forms if you allow them to be. Allow it to be as it is at this moment. You become very intelligent in that way because the Stillness is pure intelligence and that is only one aspect of it.

Witness the beginning of the arising of still spaciousness around the world of form -- external forms; situations and people, or inner forms; thoughts or emotions.

When the mind is still and you perceive the other person, who is perceiving? One could say, there's nobody anymore, not a person as such who is perceiving because there is no judgement or labeling. There's an energy.

When you behold people from the vantage point of presence, there is just stillness … there is a transmission of presence. And that is teaching beyond any form.

Anything you look at undergoes changes … when you place pure attention on it … specially humans … and you (the form) are not doing anything. I know for sure, though I can't tell you how, that when you give attention in that particular way -- full attention to an object or person -- that attention changes it -- It does something.

(Quantum) physicists realized this the first time they noticed that the observer who conducts the experiment, influences the experiment. The very fact that you are observing changes it. If you had a stone here and you gave it attention from presence, and afterwards, could examine its molecular structure, you would find it had changed.

Endeavour to bring the field of stillness into each interaction, each meeting, each encounter, and be there predominantly as the stillness and not as the person.

You don't have to do it in an obvious way, say for five minutes; it could just be for a few seconds … they may not even know it … there is simply a field of stillness around the perception.

It doesn't mean you cannot use your form identity when it's needed and speak, but you are there as the essence of who you actually are -- not the pseudo-self, the little 'me' -- you're there as the field of stillness in any human interaction.

Even when you say hello, there's no thought, there's just a depth. That is true healing in the deepest sense. You give them their own reality … and you haven't given anything. You reflect back to them their own reality.

And when you look at the world as Consciousness, you see incredible beauty everywhere, and you see, wherever you look, there's a strange sense of, "I'm looking at myself." (You don't have to formulate these words), but there's a strange sense that everything is basically you, because everything is an expression of Consciousness in some form -- every human, every plant, every flower, every planet, every sun, is Consciousness become something temporarily.

So, when you look from a place that is deeper than your form, Consciousness looks and sees Itself in some other form. It's a beautiful sense of, wherever I look, wherever I go, I encounter myself in some other form.

In the state of presence or non-labeling, knowing other life forms as yourself is the deepest meaning of love. Indeed, the only true meaning of love is to know the other as yourself.

Edited from Eckhart Tolle's audio/DVD album entitled, 'Practicing Presence', an intensive for group facilitators and health professionals, Abbotsford, Vancouver, BC. Sept, 28-30, 2001. (Tape 1)
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Forrest » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:08 am

Thanks for typing that up.

Anything you look at undergoes changes … when you place pure attention on it … specially humans … and you (the form) are not doing anything. I know for sure, though I can't tell you how, that when you give attention in that particular way -- full attention to an object or person -- that attention changes it -- It does something.

I like reading that! I feel as though I've heard this before on some audio I have, Realization of Being perhaps, but this must be an unedited portion.
Forrest

Postby be-lank » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:37 am

Thank you, Eric.

Thank you so much!
be-lank

Postby dee » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:59 pm

Thanx for that passage.

The power is unmistakeable.

Just looked up the word 'passage' in the Dictionary as its not a word I often use

One of the meanings is "the process of transition from one state to another"

Seems appropiate
dee

Postby chris » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Yeah great words.
Cheers.
chris

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion