New Tolle Silent Meeting group: We've had our first meeting

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Sighclone

Re: New Tolle Silent Meeting group: We've had our first meeting

Post by Sighclone » Fri May 30, 2008 6:55 am

Right on, Wings. "Right on" is a 60's phrase. It means cool. But that is a 50s phrase...it means "great". :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

maryfrances

Post by maryfrances » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Hello everyone,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I've been hosting a Tolle discussion group since March. I started before I knew about the silent meetings. Our group has been very well attended, and I've made dear friends. It has been a beautiful experience for me. I'm starting to wonder if we're missing the point. Our members share their life experiences and how they are implementing presence into their lives. We talk about challenges. We talk about ideas of enlightenment. We laugh and cry, too. Yes, some egos seem to pop up with regularity. It has been so helpful to be with those on the journey.

I'd like to ask you ways in which I could help improve our group. I don't want to get lost in the comradery. We originally met to discuss ANE and decided to continue on with TPON. I guess I figured that if Eckhart was ok with the discussion groups through the webinar that we were on the right path.

Thank you for such a great forum. It has been helpful and supportive.

Peace,

Mary-Frances

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:30 pm

I don't want to get lost in the comradery
maryfrances -

Stepping out a little bit from ETs party-line, I think it's OK to continue your group conversations. One of his statements which is a favorite of mine is: "If there isn't an emanation of love and joy, complete presence and openness toward all beings then it isn't enlightenment." (PON p. 162). If comaradery is a part of that, then I also do not see any harm there.

Possibly it would be useful to establish an 'intention' for the group and actually write it down. That could include such things as 'not spending time on personal/family issues' or whatever you choose.

I'm also assuming that some in your group actually seek enlightenment, and are not just interested in intellectual understanding. One of the challenges as people progress towards enlightenment is the reaction of others close to them. There are some threads here which comment on that, as does Eckhart. Discussion of that topic might be useful. And, as moderator, you can redirect the subject back to non-dualism, also. On this forum we discuss other non-dualists and literature to add perspective on spiritual growth. That might become acceptable to your people. The responsibility will be for you do redirect the conversation gently to common topics.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Wings

Post by Wings » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:31 pm

I'd like to ask you ways in which I could help improve our group. I don't want to get lost in the comradery. We originally met to discuss ANE and decided to continue on with TPON.
Mary-Frances,

The above hit a symbiotic note in which the meetings I’ve attended, likewise, produce an aura of camaraderie, smiles, understanding, warm coaxing, and once in awhile a “little” silence sneaks in and those are the moments I’ve welcomed most, and have grown to treasure.

Why, because it tapers verbal identification practically born into and gives pause to perhaps reading a few meaningful, insightful ET passages that can come alive while ingesting with precious moments of stillness, silence, and presence. For some reason amongst legions of words, for me, and others, it carries so much more power deep within when felt for what it is. A bit of peace!

Of coarse its personal preference and perhaps this is one compelling reason Silent Groups are sought and needed...

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:52 am

This whole thing really bothers me! The discussions the formation of groups etc. the analyzing , the veering off to other spiritual teachers etc. It makes me wonder if Tolle approves of all this, does he want to be Jesus and head of a new Church? I think not. I think we should remain as we were pre Tolle! only more aware of living. I believe Tolle is for individuals, and a true Tolle individual shouldnt need groups, but then I guess some people would benefit from recognizing anothers prescence.

James

Post by James » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi MaryFrances
Welcome, I think the key barometer is the fruitage in your experience with the group. If you feel you are experiencing the message and have harmony, peace, inner stillness surrounding those realizations, then keep going with the flow; and be open to adding additional dimensions to what you are doing, such as more periods stillness.

Regards
James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Wings

Post by Wings » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:19 pm

Peaceman, I hear you and some of what you say resonates. So does a need or desire for some to have a group to feel unity in the power it can generate within, for some. This too resonates. Again, it’s all personal preference and because of this I personally veer away from should and should not’s. As James and others say, its going with the flow, which best serves your kind of presence. It sounds like you’ve found your niche and as long as it brings you peace, enjoy it.

I’ve been with Tolle a number of years and one thing I’ve grown to accept amongst so much more, is the absolute of change. :)

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Yeah Wings I realised my mistake as soon as I posted it. Would like to apologise ! Its just I see the danger of Tolle just losing the essence as time goes by, breakaways, interpretations, etc. Its like any small organisation that starts out really set up for helping people ...then it develops into a corporation and the whole thing becomes something totally different. Hope I got myself across ok this time!!

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:07 pm

Have just seen the advert for the "Enlightenment Ring"......need I say more?!!!!!!

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Oh no, another apology on its way!!! Better shut up altogether! Going back to Tolle to learn a bit more lol

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:42 pm

Well I just did and guess what?! to quote p6 PON "ancient religions....have become so overlaid with extraneous matter that their spiritual essence has become almost completely obscured by it. To a large extent , therefore, their deeper meaning is no longer recognized and their transformative power lost. " Will Tolle go the same way?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:27 pm

Well I just did and guess what?! to quote p6 PON "ancient religions....have become so overlaid with extraneous matter that their spiritual essence has become almost completely obscured by it. To a large extent , therefore, their deeper meaning is no longer recognized and their transformative power lost. " Will Tolle go the same way?
Tolle expresses opinions and experiences which are his beliefs. They are testable by your experience...and everyone else's. If these 'beliefs' fail the test of direct experience they will vanish. So far they have survived at least 3,500 years.

Namaste, Andy

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:31 pm

Well I do go along with Tolle ....and agree with his statement.