Ego and the present moment

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
steve247

Ego and the present moment

Post by steve247 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:56 pm

Eckhart mentions that the ego cannot survive if you are completely present. How is it then that my niece (1.5 years old) gets upset when something is taken away from her? She is not thinking of past or future when she's identifying with that object and getting upset, yet her ego is still there. :?

HermitLoon

Re: Ego and the present moment

Post by HermitLoon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:08 pm

It's called "Object Identity" - children observe, copy and are taught that from birth. :(
It's also a big part of "The collective Egoic Dysfunction".
Peace

steve247

Post by steve247 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:11 pm

I understand that, but I can't see how it relates to the present moment. Eckhart says that the present moment is the doorway out of ego, yet my Niece is clearly in the present moment when her ego appears and she identifies with an object. She has no concept of time at 1.5 years old.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:29 pm

"She has no concept of time at 1.5 years old"
Are you absolutely sure of that? :)
Peace

steve247

Post by steve247 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:35 pm

I can't see how she's thinking about the past and future when something is taken away from her. She's acting on instinct in the present moment isn't she?

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:38 pm

Time is inherent in both memory and Ego.
She remembers "not having that'
She remembers observing or being taught that "having things is important"
(Mommy is important and having things is important to Mommy and since someone is attempting to "take" this thing then "having" this thing must be an important part of "being" - so I will resist that)

Peace and Joy
Peace

steve247

Post by steve247 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:42 am

Thanks. I thought that because she's not hung-up about the past or anxious about the future that pedominantly her focus is the present moment, which it is. Yet through her memory of the object and how she likes "having" the object, it makes sense that she wouldn't want to let it go.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:51 pm

If she "wants it back," she living in the past. (At that moment.)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

summer

Post by summer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:46 am

Eckhart mentions that the ego cannot survive if you are completely present. How is it then that my niece (1.5 years old) gets upset when something is taken away from her? She is not thinking of past or future when she's identifying with that object and getting upset, yet her ego is still there.
Animals are the same way. Try taking a bone out of a dog's mouth. They will do everything they can to get that bone back. Dogs aren't thinking about the past and the future. And they don't have egos.

I would say that it is the natural instinct of all animals and humans. A universal intelligence that ensures the survival of life.

RHRippere

Ego Deposit on the Newly Conceived

Post by RHRippere » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:52 am

Similar to the 1.5 year old, I have considered my own 4 & 5 year old children who are all ready very identified with this pair of shorts or that stuffed animal.

The idea has occured to me that the ego may be a deposit which is made upon the essence, or spirit, or eternal nature, of every individual at the time of his/her conception. As the baby grows, so does the ego, maturing on its own, developing, identifying and satisfying its own needs. "I want this toy - I will cause my host to pitch a fit until I get this toy (or that shirt)," the ego manifests.

Perhaps it is not so much a question of the 1.5 year old's familiarity with past, present and future. Perhaps it is, as Eckhart suggests, recognizing that it is not ME who is unhappy, or unsatisfied or wanting, it is the separate and individual ego WITHIN me that is manifesting those emotions. Instead of "I am unhappy," I can say "there is unhappiness in me."

It is true, then, the 1.5 year old is object-identified with that toy - because the 1.5 year old has not yet "butterknifed" apart the separate ego from his/her own spirit.

Just as I can be object-identified with my convertible hard-top Mercedes when it gets a door ding in the parking lot - and I have not "butterknifed" my own essence apart from my ego's luxury car identity.

- Royce