Revelation

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Onceler

Re: Revelation

Post by Onceler » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:23 pm

I just lost another brilliant post (prabably for good reason). The short version is: Thanks everyone, esp. +Jim+, HermitLoon and Andy.

I appreciate your support and the mirrors you hold up to reflect back the things I need! The turnaround was that I need to be honest and open!

Gotta go as those wascally Japanese Beetles are eating my Zinnia(s)

Thanks again!
Be present, be pleasant.

+Jim+

Post by +Jim+ » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:22 pm

For those who are willing to explore, the following exercise can have tremendous impact:

Observe nature without naming it; observe a tree or flower or rocks or lichen or whatever is available.
Explore observing without naming.
The shape, the texture, the smell, the play of light, the movement in the breeze or the stillness....... Just observe.

When there is a very clear sense of observation without naming, observe your body.

Observe the breath, the movement of the body as it breathes, the sensations in the nose and throat, there may be audible sound, observe the contact with the ground or seat or bed or whatever else the body's weight rests on.
Observe the sensations in the body; aches or itching or tingling or trembling or whatever else is there......... Just observe.

When there is a very clear sense of this observation without naming, observe thought.
Observe thought without naming or judging or comparing..... Just observe.

When you are simply observing thought without naming or judging or trying to shape in any way, and if the investigation hasn't happened spontaneously, investigate thought.
What is thought? What is its nature?

Don't use a single second-hand answer, whether from the most revered teacher, your own past or anyone else’s statements.
Ask the question and then just observe what happens next.

If you truly ask and don't answer from memory you will discover the true nature of thought - it will be revealed.
This cannot be over-emphasized...... if you don't accept a single second-hand answer then there will be revelation.

Now any question can be asked and the truth discovered.
What is suffering? What am I? Who am I? What is time? What is love?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is as relevant as when originally posted
enjoy
Jim
:D
Intellectual understanding is totally inadequate for meeting daily life.
It's like attempting to nourish yourself on the memory of yesterday's lunch!

http://simplyenlightening.wordpress.com/about/

E1lycat

Post by E1lycat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:58 pm

Heh heh, I haven't actually tried this exercise, but I have asked myself the question 'what is thought?' and I just think it's a funny thing.. It seems to arise out of nothing, I don't know what it's made of, what initiates it, what perpetuates it, and what ends it. But it feels like language has a lot to do with it. Hmmmm...
I am in need of nothing but the truth

-ACIM-

pardes

Post by pardes » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Of course there is always poetry therapy.

Tongue in cheek "found poetry" therapy that will always shift a stuck mood with its silliness.

Take this forum for instance. I monitor it every few days for new topics and this morning for the fun of it I made the topic titles into a found poem.

Tolle Criticism
REVELATION
I need you to tell me you like me
The pain body teaching created another identity
How do you deal with pent up resentment and negative feeling?
The end of your world
Self Defense
Background anxiety/tension/discomfort
Antidepressants
Can the physical body recover?
Age.

Silly and yet informative of where we are or we think where we are. Can't help it....I'm home for a lovely nine day vacation from the lab and looking for writing prompts under cabbages and kings.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

domokato

Post by domokato » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 am

I like it :)
~housecat

gdvant

Post by gdvant » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:10 am

For those who are willing to explore, the following exercise can have tremendous impact:

Observe nature without naming it; observe a tree or flower or rocks or lichen or whatever is available.
Explore observing without naming.
The shape, the texture, the smell, the play of light, the movement in the breeze or the stillness....... Just observe.

When there is a very clear sense of observation without naming, observe your body.

Observe the breath, the movement of the body as it breathes, the sensations in the nose and throat, there may be audible sound, observe the contact with the ground or seat or bed or whatever else the body's weight rests on.
Observe the sensations in the body; aches or itching or tingling or trembling or whatever else is there......... Just observe.

When there is a very clear sense of this observation without naming, observe thought.
Observe thought without naming or judging or comparing..... Just observe.

When you are simply observing thought without naming or judging or trying to shape in any way, and if the investigation hasn't happened spontaneously, investigate thought.
What is thought? What is its nature?

Don't use a single second-hand answer, whether from the most revered teacher, your own past or anyone else’s statements.
Ask the question and then just observe what happens next.

If you truly ask and don't answer from memory you will discover the true nature of thought - it will be revealed.
This cannot be over-emphasized...... if you don't accept a single second-hand answer then there will be revelation.

Now any question can be asked and the truth discovered.
What is suffering? What am I? Who am I? What is time? What is love?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Affectionately
Jim
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Jim,
What you are referring to is learning directly what it is to shift from the conditioned mind to the unconditioned, from
the intellect to centerless attention and impersonal intelligence, right? To focus on descriptions of results or progress in
achieving a desired state is to remain caught in time and identification with the conditioned mind. Where there is an
insight that the controller is the controlled, is the conditioned mind, the controlling mind naturally gets very still and
there is room for what is untouched by thought and time to manifest on its own.

Regards,
Greg

+Jim+

Post by +Jim+ » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:49 pm

gdvant wrote:Hello Jim,
What you are referring to is learning directly what it is to shift from the conditioned mind to the unconditioned, from
the intellect to centerless attention and impersonal intelligence, right?
Hi Greg
Just saw your post today.

Yes indeed, direct learning - direct discovery.
Not second-hand teachings from x y or z.
Intellectual understanding is totally inadequate for meeting daily life.
It's like attempting to nourish yourself on the memory of yesterday's lunch!

http://simplyenlightening.wordpress.com/about/