The Path

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

The Path

Postby Wings » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:44 pm

The NOW, void of thought, mindlessness if you will, is a practice more often needed and wanted then not, but the ravenousness of the mind at times can be unyielding. Stepping back witnessing the minds dance which runs from crude to fancy in its spins, trying to taunt, can at times be amusing while it breathlessly flails its arms high in the air trying to franticly snatch back your undivided attention. Most of the time I’m able to see/feel it as an unwanted intruder seeking to occupy my very private and holy space/feeling, so that I can continue with my NOW/sense of peace.

I realize, it is encouraged to allow it to do its thing and somewhat academic because it will anyway, whether you welcome it or not and ET recognizes this tug-a-war, teeter-totter effect as natural and embodied within our beings. Our NOW or higher state of consciousness toward reaching greater spiritual heights of total awareness, seemingly is infinite and un-reaching for many, but the road getting there, there in itself, supposedly lies its reward. Is it the myth of finding peace “within” that we keep looking toward the infinite and somehow feel we are arriving? Does one really ever arrive or the path supposedly is your arrival?
Wings

Postby kiki » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:48 pm

Hello Wings, and welcome.

Does one really ever arrive or the path supposedly is your arrival?

The arrival of peace comes when one arrives back "home" in one's natural state of awareness. The paradox is realizing that one never, in fact, left home at all. Only the imaginary "me" goes forth on a path, looking for peace. When the imaginary "me" is seen to be an illusion one discovers their true essence, which is peace itself.
kiki

The Path

Postby Wings » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:05 am

The arrival of peace comes when one arrives back "home" in one's natural state of awareness.

If you can, please share how you arrived and what is “home” to you while in this natural state of awareness? Thank you for your welcome.
Wings

Postby kiki » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:54 am

Wings wrote:If you can, please share how you arrived and what is “home” to you while in this natural state of awareness?

"Home" is the natural state of awareness. This natural state of awareness is what cannot be further reduced - it is the "bedrock" of what you are in reality. What you take yourself to be, what you believe yourself to be is only comprised of thought - this is what ET refers to as the "little me", and what I call the ego. Ego is only a bundle of thought which is clung to and believed in.

How to arrive there? A better question is, "What is being done to keep me from realizing that I'm already home?" The answer is: continued belief/identification with the little me/ego. ET's portals are ways of diverting attention from the "little me" so that mind activity subsides. Without mind activity one can see directly that they are not their thoughts. Most people think that they are the author of their thoughts, but when the author is sought, it will not be found. Thoughts will be seen to arise but there is "nobody in particular" who is thinking them. You cannot be thought because thought always changes, and sometimes isn't even here. Can you "be" something that isn't always here?

Look for the author of thought by asking, "Who/what am I?" Look for the "little me", see if you can find a separate and distinct entity. This question will turn awareness back onto itself, and awareness is what you are in reality. Awareness is what you really are because awareness is the only "thing" which is always here.

You, in reality, are already home because awareness is always here, but you don't realize it because you are mesmerized into believing in the little me. One way this belief remains intact is by the near continuous retelling of the "story of me". Stop believing what the mind tells you, whether it's telling "good or bad" stories.

Without the belief/identification with the "little me" a "shift" takes place which frees you of all suffering. This shift away from identification with ego automatically brings you consciously back "home" to the natural state of awareness. Once this is seen for oneself it will be realized that you have always been "home".

Look through this site; there are many posts which will be helpful. There is enough here to answer most of your questions. But, at some point more questions will just get in the way of this direct seeing and they become a hindrance. If you can just let go of any "need to know" you can awaken right now, for every "need to know" is ego driven, and it's ego which gets in the way.

kiki
kiki

Postby Egoicmidget » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:08 am

Kiki said:
The paradox is realizing that one never, in fact, left home at all. Only the imaginary "me" goes forth on a path, looking for peace.

The mind is very good at contructing what words look like and Kiki's observations clearly point out the illusory nature of thought as it relates to defining a false structure we call the ego.
Then the search is seen for what it is, the minds made up story "illusion" the place(inner peace,stillness and presence) is already here, the path was imaginary and you realize, I'm already home.
There is no grasping or trying to get this, it is your natural state and essence, it is your being.
What you actually are, is the silent observing presence, free of analytical thought. Already enlightened and at peace. Knowing this is awareness not thought.
The me in the mind that you thought was you is shown to be false, it goes away on it's own during the natural process of awakening.
Some of the signs the ego is loosing it's grip is the need to defend a position or prove the rightness of your viewpoints. That goes away because you realize these views are based on stories your mind likes clingling too, to validate yourself, but what self are you validating? You then "get it"and drop the need to defend yourself because you get the absurdity of defending a phantom(imaginary self) that in reality doesn't exist anyway. When I came to understand that some time ago I literally laughed out loud at myself.
The portals are the way out of the habit of indentifying with thought as Kiki has already mentioned.
Egoicmidget

Postby be-lank » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:07 am

Hi Wings,

Kiki wrote-
ET's portals are ways of diverting attention from the "little me" so that mind activity subsides.

John wrote-
The portals are the way out of the habit of identifying with thought as Kiki has already mentioned.

What Kiki and John have written is true.

The portals are exits from mind identification.

For anyone who wants to know who they are beyond form, who wants liberation. freedom, freedom from suffering, the portals are a way.

In the book The Power of Now, Eckhart goes into detail about the portals.

Wings asked-

“Does one really ever arrive or the path supposedly is your arrival?”

Eckhart has said, “The journey is in each step.” And “Be in every step fully.” “Be conscious of every step.”

This is the journey.
be-lank

Postby Wings » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:29 am

Wings asked-

“Does one really ever arrive or the path supposedly is your arrival?”

be-lank wrote:
Eckhart has said, “The journey is in each step.” And “Be in every step fully.” “Be conscious of every step.”

This is the journey.

Words in of themselves can’t and abysmally fail to represent feelings or give credence to consciousness born of awareness. This space, when void of thought and visuals, feels lightened in weight by freedom of illusionary attachments such as a need to even have a reality. All descriptive words to shed light on senses and what one feels within that moment “the NOW” pale and literally is not needed when awareness truly looms.

Sometimes I wonder of that man on the mountain, sitting seemingly, alone, eyes shut with the aura of peace and presence, needing nothing but his space filled with whatever he is at one with. Yes, as ET mentions, it’s a journey on a road/path or whatever it is, where one feels and “is” within each step of life for what it “is.” This space, this infinite space at times allows a resurgence of the power of peace and yes, it does at times put skip to my step. It’s good!
Wings

Postby Egoicmidget » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:38 pm

Words in of themselves can’t and abysmally fail to represent feelings or give credence to consciousness born of awareness. This space, when void of thought and visuals, feels lightened in weight by freedom of illusionary attachments such as a need to even have a reality. All descriptive words to shed light on senses and what one feels within that moment “the NOW” pale and literally is not needed when awareness truly looms.

I like this very much, I think Tolle struggles with this also and mentions the words are "pointers" and that the essence of this cannot be put into words.
Then comes the question of teaching people this awareness.
Can you share with us how you were taught?
The Power of NOW "a guide to spiritual enlightment" uses words but Tolle
says that what is learned is much deeper than our limited minds can grasp.
Being can be felt but never understood with the mind.
I think a transformation occurs and thought is no longer the base point in which life is lived. The ego becomes viewed by the witnessing presence for what it truly is, a collection of past perceptions and concepts, including feelings. When that happens the drama of the mind tends to diminsh or stop in a very natural way. The ego wants to control but when faced with the enormity and vastness of the field of infinite possiblites it vanishes into that very field from which it was first invented, mostly to do the song and dance and supply an"indentity". The adaptive "little me" in the head becomes embraced and heard by the self (the witnessing presence) the ego then is no longer feared as being able to take over the mind.
The energy is released into the spacious awareness that to me is held together by love. It is the fabric of all things. The realization you are that (the witness) frees you from the grasping and conceptualizing that the mind is energized by. Then the emptness and stillness happen very naturally when the mind no longer "runs the show". I had so much compassion for my story in the head and fully and totally accepted that aspect and with that came freedom.
Abiding in awarenss provides life with the larger picture of oneness with all
things. The NOW to me is a given. It's a truth that was covered up at one point by conceptual mental noise (the ego).
Egoicmidget

Postby summer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:26 pm

And with a bit further expansion, it's realized that thought only ever made up 2% of the entire field of awareness, and that the rest of it was always just silence.

I read this yesterday. I think that David Hawkins is the author.
My response was WOW! :lol:

Language is based in dualistic thinking. So, how can it ever describe Unity consciousness? It makes me wonder if language will soon be dropped as a form of communication by humans? And what will replace it?

Telepathy?
summer

Postby heidi » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:17 pm

TelePathy :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby be-lank » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Wings wrote-

“Words in of themselves can’t and abysmally fail to represent feelings or give credence to consciousness born of awareness.”

Agreed. And yet, a question was asked.

“This space, when void of thought and visuals, feels lightened in weight by freedom of illusionary attachments such as a need to even have a reality.”

This space is reality.

“All descriptive words to shed light on senses and what one feels within that moment “the NOW” pale and literally is not needed when awareness truly looms.”

True.

”Sometimes I wonder of that man on the mountain, sitting seemingly, alone, eyes shut with the aura of peace and presence, needing nothing but his space filled with whatever he is at one with.”

Sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever learn where the on button is on the remote control.

“Yes, as ET mentions, it’s a journey on a road/path or whatever it is, where one feels and “is” within each step of life for what it “is.” This space, this infinite space at times allows a resurgence of the power of peace and yes, it does at times put skip to my step. It’s good!”

Cool! But let’s drop the “at times”.
be-lank

Postby Wings » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:48 pm

Language is based in dualistic thinking. So, how can it ever describe Unity consciousness? It makes me wonder if language will soon be dropped as a form of communication by humans? And what will replace it?

Telepathy?

Language, the word, is a mind based tool useful for practical applications, such as science, math, business, human jostling and interchange. Beyond this and things born of the spirit of awareness, language thins as the familiar power of welcomed silence emerges. When you step back and allow the egoic mind to look at it, it tells you, you are alone and this is not a good place for you. It desperately attempts incriminations of guilt, dissention and even shame for liking to be there. Being alone is not good, you’re becoming a recluse and this is bad. You need my thoughts, because otherwise, you will not be seen by others and then what, who will you be?

Mind based identity, validation and all that goes with it, at times, can be stifling, when allowed. Thru the years I’ve found it did not serve me well, and thru this lesson, enters the language of listening more to what is “not” said and the “silence” between what is being said, it’s there and where a rewarding kind of awareness starts filling the void. I’m now a better listener and when I meet others, I’ve learned this part of my life is not easily shared with others who are adverse to change. Thus it’s owned within and will be shared only with those of like spirit or when sincerely wanted when asked.

Its indeed a pleasure sharing within a spirit of good will amongst a flock of seekers who’s crossroads in life have brought us together within this spirit. Gratitude……..
Wings

Postby Wings » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:36 pm

Hi le-blank,

Although I’ve been an ET follower for a number of years and at one time in my past was a founder and an active participant in an ET support group, today I am a newcomer to this forum and appreciate your presence. Being new on this forum, is it customary for members to openly edit someone else’s material to fit their own particular needs? Or is it best that instead of one line criticisms, it would serve most best if they voiced there own feeling based on what they intrinsically experienced from within there own take on life? Personally I find the latter much more enlightening and appreciated.
Wings

Postby phil » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:26 pm

summer wrote:It makes me wonder if language will soon be dropped as a form of communication by humans? And what will replace it?

Interesting idea Summer.

Best I can offer is that should we get past the point where our egos are running the show, there won't be anywhere near as much to talk about, so that will address some of the transition to newer forms of communication.

I saw a clever sci-fi movie once. The premise was that people had portable data players, like a portable CD player you take with you on a walk.

The disks in this player held recordings of other people's experiences. If you attached this thingy to your head, and plugged it in to the player, you could record your own experiences to disk, or play back any experiences stored on the disc.

If you played back an experience, you would experience those events just as if you had been there originally. You saw and felt the events as the person who recorded them had.

Imagine having a disk library, full of other people's experiences you've downloaded off the Net.

Imagine all the people who would get totally lost in this hobby, and completely lose track of the dividing line between themselves and all these imported memories from others.

Imagine the revolutionary impact such a communication device would have.

New forms of communication are emerging around us all the time, like this forum. And these new communication tools are already changing us significantly. And we're just getting started.

This forum so well represents the double edged sword that is swinging towards us. On one hand, this forum is being used to transmit very healthy information, on the other hand it is a compelling escape pod in to abstraction from the reality of our local nows.

Think how many of us have already been largely swallowed by TV and the Net, and then look forward and imagine the even more compelling technologies coming.

As I've spent the last 10 years running back and forth between a passionate involvement in both nature and the Net, I've often wondered what the upcoming chapters of this story will reveal.
phil

Postby summer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:28 am

That is an interesting Sci Fi idea.
I would love to hook up to one that had been recorded by dolphins :)

I have a strong hunch that they commuicate telepathically over long distances. And have senses that are more developed than ours. I also have this hunch that we have similar capacities but they are often dormant.

I want a Dolphin to be my teacher now :lol:

Or imagine listening to a Hawk disc. Or a wolf. Now I am getting really excited. What a great idea!
summer

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion