Hanging out in Emptiness

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
lucy

Hanging out in Emptiness

Post by lucy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:51 pm

I was going to post this under personal experience but than I realized that this wasn't a personal experience it was more an "experience of the Impersonal.
When I first read PON, it almost blew "me " away. It would take another year to finally blow "me" away. I have a great love for the teachings of Eckhart but because
he often talks in a dualistic way (this is not a criticism, I realize the limits of language when trying to express the inexpressible) the seeking continued. It eventually led me
to many nonduality sites. On some of these sites, it was repeatedily pointed out that you are the Awareness, the Space, the Container, The Unborn. There was a lot of emphasis placeed on the Unmanifested and
not necessarily a rejection of the manifested, but a downplaying of it. I spent a long time hanging out in Emptiness. And if you asked me "Who was hanging
out in Emptiness", I would respond: "Emptiness". There was almost a detachment from the world, not an apathetic detachment but none the less a kind of separation. For years there was so much attention paid to the world of form, and now the attention had shifted to Emptiness. The world now seemed benign, almost flat.
It wasn't until I happened on Nathan Gill's site that Clarity took place. I read his words: "There are two aspects of Oneness: Awareness and content of Awareness". I have heard "Form is Emptiness and Emptiness is Form" many times, but somehow the "knowing" of it eluded me. I took emptiness to be myself, but in doing so I unembraced form. I think the reason for this is because you often
hear the pharse that "you are not your body", you can experience the body, and any experience is not IT. But it is IT ALSO. It would perhaps be clearer to say "You are not JUST your body or anything you
experience, you are also the Awareness of IT. When I re-read ET, he explains how Consciousness can be solid (form) liquid (thoughts and perceptions) and Pure (unmanifested, looking through your eyes).
The mind had not allowed me to see this before. Sorry for the wordy post, but I thought it might help any "little Me's" hanging out in Emptiness.

kiki

Re: Hanging out in Emptiness

Post by kiki » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:59 am

I think you said it well, lucy. I feel that what you are coming to realize is something that does take some time for most people to realize - that's certainly true with me. There is a sort of pendulum swing from identification with form to a kind of identification with awareness that seems to keep itself apart from form. What gets overlooked is that you are the totality, no matter what the form appears as.

There is a fusion, if you will, of form and formless - hence, form is emptiness, and emptiness is form. This is sometimes expressed along these lines: "First they were just mountains and trees, then they weren't mountains and trees, and now they are mountains and trees again". The difference is in the seeing/realization that "you"/awareness are in all forms as the form too. This is the oneness of nondualism.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 am

"First they were just mountains and trees, then they weren't mountains and trees, and now they are mountains and trees again". The difference is in the seeing/realization that "you"/awareness are in all forms as the form too. This is the oneness of nondualism".

Wow that's exactly what I was trying to communicate. Thank You Kiki.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:30 pm

Yes, and thank you Lucy. You bring an excellent point to the discussion (and often debate) over empty awareness and content awareness. Kiki's reference to the wise old expression of the mountain is its most distilled expression.

Kudos to both.

WW

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks WW. It also points to that age old expression "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear". In this case the
teachers are mountains rivers and trees.

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi Lucy,

Just to add to what Kiki pointed out about the swing from form based identity to emptiness experiencing itself as emptiness...

My own swing towards the latter was greatly helped by non-judgement, or acceptance. Because if I did not judge, then I did not condemn. Not least the judgement and condemnation of that within me that I thought to be weak, pathetic or simply wrong. How many times did I try and conquer all that with force and resistance, and how many times it endured. However, by seeing my pain, my weaknesses and my (percieved) ugliness not with the eyes of judgement, which only ever saw an enemy, but with the eyes of acceptance, that only saw a wound in need of healing.

As I applied and applied myself to creating a radically different relationship with my share of the human condition, over time a simple truth began to merge from the practice. When I came at the suffering and fear inside me with love and tenderness, I was coming at it from a space in which is simultaneously me and not me, at one and the same time. And so all the headaches I ever gave myself with trying to understand emptiness became a thing of the past, as emptiness eventually became a feeling, and not an explanation.

So emptiness has become as much a practice as a state for me at the moment. I approach the internal storms and kerfuffles mindful of the space inside.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Thank you Larryfroot for your helpful comments.

In the space of emptiness that I was referring to, there really didn't seem like there was anyone there to make judgements. The idividual seemed
to have fallen away (it was realized there was no individual there in the first place), the thought of "me" was not energized but perhaps was running
a program, like a wheel that keeps spinning for a few minutes after the last stroke. This place was peaceful but inert. What I discovered
is that this is this place that many seekers can get hung up in for years because it is very peaceful. A dropping back into the world of form, but this time with the "knowing" of one's true nature seems
to have to take place (what Kiki called fusion) before apparent separation is healed and "full on" living can take place in and as the Aliveness that we are.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:40 pm

lucy - you would enjoy Adya's "The Journey After Awakening," a recent DVD which also features Loch Kelly who trained with Tibetan monks... :) They discuss integration of awakened awareness at length...

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:02 pm

I recently watched my cat chasing a laser beam, becoming frantic because his quick paw could not hold the dot. Alter awhile he just gave up, went off, and had a peaceful nap.
Be present, be pleasant.

garuda

Post by garuda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:01 am

I know exactly what you mean. I do the same thing when the cat beats me to the laser flashlight. My naps ain’t bad either. :lol:
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.

garuda

Post by garuda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:21 am

lucy wrote: This place was peaceful but inert. What I discovered
is that this is this place that many seekers can get hung up in for years because it is very peaceful. A dropping back into the world of form, but this time with the "knowing" of one's true nature seems to have to take place (what Kiki called fusion) before apparent separation is healed and "full on" living can take place in and as the Aliveness that we are.
Lucy, Good for you, I'm happy for you. Amazingly obvious after its once realized, huh? :wink:
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.