Poor Man's Intuition

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
peleke4

Re: Poor Man's Intuition

Post by peleke4 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:52 am

a friend told me about "Many Lives, Many Masters." just curious, I thought that the ego was an illusion, totally false. but the idea of reincarnation seems to go against that. if ego truly is false, then why would the ego/personality manifest in a new lifetime?

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:35 pm

Is ego false, or simply not who or what you truly are?
Be present, be pleasant.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:57 pm

Onceler wrote:Is ego false, or simply not who or what you truly are?
Good question Onceler. It seems that ego as an identity is false, but as a personality has value and substance. Maybe ego can be seen as an expressed quality, aspects of which may transcend the physical form. Over time and incarnations it may be developed and refined into an ever more useful medium of communication.

At the level of physical form its early developement is quite crude and is prone to identification. But with experience and care it may be transformed into a vehicle of compassion and love.

Maybe this has something to do with why Tolle chose to change his name - to bring consciousness of previous work into the present moment. Interesting speculation.

WW

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:21 pm

peleke4 wrote:a friend told me about "Many Lives, Many Masters." just curious, I thought that the ego was an illusion, totally false. but the idea of reincarnation seems to go against that. if ego truly is false, then why would the ego/personality manifest in a new lifetime? wouldn't that give some truth to ego/personality?
Very good question, Peleke4.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:34 pm

Being awake doesn't solve the mystery of life, it only allows you to appreciate it more deeply without becoming lost within it.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:53 pm

Excellent line, Kiki - thank you!
What about people who are alive at the same time and have very similar personalities/egos and/or physique? Are they reincarnations of each other?
My point is that similarity with somebody who lived a while ago doesn't mean reincarnation has occurred (although it doesn't dismiss it either). We can naturally be quite similar to each other - we are one, after all.
In my opinion, awareness generates form and form generates ego - so when form dissolves, the ego dissolves!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:53 pm

Glycine wrote: In my opinion, awareness generates form and form generates ego - so when form dissolves, the ego dissolves!
Are you suggesting Glycine, that thought forms dissolve with the physical form? The ego is after all, a kind of structured though form. It certainly seems likely that many belief structures would dissolve with a shift in perspective, but I can't necessarily conclude that some concepts of being may transcend physical form. Thinking in many respects is just the relative juxtaposition and contrasting of concepts. Can we say that thinking is strictly limited to a physical brain?

WW

James

Post by James » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:56 pm

Kiki said:
Being awake doesn't solve the mystery of life, it only allows you to appreciate it more deeply without becoming lost within it.
That has been my experience. The more awake I am, the less interested I am in figuring everything out, but there is a peace and comfort in resting in not knowing, and an appreciation for the mystery.

Adyashanti gives some helpful pointers on The End Of Your World recording, Disc 3. He talks about the various ways the ego can reconstitute itself after awakening; common pit falls that are often subtle, and can easily fool us. One of them is the need to come up with a structured and concrete view of life and the world. To find explanations and answers to our questions. A striving to put the Unknown into the realm of known. This mental striving actually keeps us from experiencing the unknown directly, which is what awakening is about; the direct experience and realization.

J.
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

garuda

Post by garuda » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:51 pm

peleke4 wrote:a friend told me about "Many Lives, Many Masters." just curious, I thought that the ego was an illusion, totally false. but the idea of reincarnation seems to go against that. if ego truly is false, then why would the ego/personality manifest in a new lifetime? wouldn't that give some truth to ego/personality?
The now moment of this current lifetime is the only entry point for realization. All other concerns and conceptualizations are intellectual distractions or obscurations. Be concerned with Now..... not future or past. Eckhart’s teachings examine and explain all this very well. Good luck on your journey, peleke4.
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:01 pm

Webwanderer wrote: Are you suggesting Glycine, that thought forms dissolve with the physical form? Can we say that thinking is strictly limited to a physical brain?
WW
As I currently see it, thinking and thought forms are even more ephemeral than material forms. As you mentioned, they can disappear even with a shift in perspective - and even more so when an accident/disease happens to the brain. Even losing a small part of the brain (especially from the frontal lobes) can completely change thinking and personality - this is well-known from accidents or treatment of various brain problems. Thinking as we know it - especially when in form and absorbed by form - seems to be limited to a physical brain.

garuda

Post by garuda » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:07 pm

Onceler wrote:Is ego false, or simply not who or what you truly are?
Onceler......Nice and concise distinction in answering! I like answers in the form of questions. Makes the questioner think deeper and try to answer for himself/herself.
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.

Betty

Post by Betty » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:10 pm

peleke4 wrote:a friend told me about "Many Lives, Many Masters." just curious, I thought that the ego was an illusion, totally false. but the idea of reincarnation seems to go against that. if ego truly is false, then why would the ego/personality manifest in a new lifetime?
Perhaps the question is "Is this life?". People tend to think of "life" or a "lifetime" as the time spent between the birth and death of a single physical manifestation which has never made sense to me. How can we say that the tiny amount of time spent in one particular form is "life" or a "lifetime"? If it is our purpose to "wake up" and if this "waking up" can only be accomplished in the illusion of duality, then it stands to reason that we would come here (or go somewhere) until we...well..until we wake up, right?

Regarding the changing of names: In Adyashanti's case, isn't changing one's name just traditional Zen when called to teach? Either way, a name change seems like a distancing from the form-filled realm that assigned one's name in the first place. It's a way of saying: "The world from which my old name came is no longer allowed to define me." or, simply, "I am.". It seems the most profound statement one can make - to discard the world of form's definition of who one is and choose one's own name? As if a "line" has been crossed? It doesn't matter. Do they care what others imagine their reasons to be? I suspect the answer is "no".

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:02 pm

very interesting. In Adyashanti's "End of World," he talks about his personal experience with past lives during the interview portion of the series. I read many positive reviews about "Many Lives, Many Masters." I'm eager to check it out.

I realize this is something that'll always remain a mystery. But it has crossed my mind that perhaps reincarnation/past lives is real. For instance, when I was only five years old, I remember times when I was self-conscious. Looking back, how did self-consciuosness come into the picture at such a young age? Why was it that my siblings were never that way? It surely wasn't something I picked up from family/upbringing. Perhaps the self-consciousness came about from a past life/reincarnation? I know it's pointless to try and figure things out because I'll won't get anywhere. But surely it's an interesting idea.

soham

Post by soham » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:13 pm

Why not field the question to Eckhart and elicit information about his past lives. He should enlighten the humanity on this front as well.

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:36 pm

soham wrote:Why not field the question to Eckhart and elicit information about his past lives. He should enlighten the humanity on this front as well.
LOL Soham you are being funny yes?
BTW I love your name soham iw was part of a mantra I had years ago
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana