Is Eckhart FULLY realized?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: Is Eckhart FULLY realized?

Postby DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:21 am

eputkonen wrote:There is only the realization that occurs in which all seeking vanishes.

There can be true freedom with an 'I' still there because the 'I' only binds when it is considered real. When the realization that the ego is a mirage and the Self is realized...then whatever remains of the "I" is no longer problematic or of concern. Like a mirage, it only causes problems when you think it is real (and there really is water over there). The appearance of the "I" can not bind...just as an image or hologram of handcuffs could not bind you. People do not swing sticks at shadows to beat them...so there is point at swinging at the mirage of ego once it is seen. As the "I" is only a mirage...has appearance, but no substance...there is no doer.

Well said. I understand his point but first take out the word fully because that part is flawed, fully in itself makes a limit. The poster is speaking about the place prior to the I AM place. Well as you say then the I is only a mirage with no value.
Plus no one can ever correctly tell another persons level of awareness or realization.
I love and think highly of Ramana Mahashri but there were many in his days that went to see him and felt nothing from him and thought that he was not realize at all, so there you go!
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana
DWBH1953

Postby James » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:41 am

Since Ramana has been brought up a few times on this thread I think it would be nice to give him a voice here too.

james

~

“Mind is consciousness which has put on limitations.
You are originally unlimited and perfect.
Later you take on limitations and become the mind.”

“You need not aspire for or get any new state.
Get rid of your present thoughts,
that is all.”

"You and I are the same.
What I have done is surely possible for all.
You are the Self now
and can never be anything else.
Throw your worries to the wind,
turn within and find Peace."

"Happiness is your nature.
It is not wrong to desire it.
What is wrong is seeking it outside
when it is inside."

..."Bliss is not something to be got.
On the other hand you are always Bliss.
This desire [for Bliss] is born of the sense of incompleteness.
To whom is this sense of incompleteness?
Enquire. In deep sleep you were blissful.
Now you are not so.
What has interposed between that Bliss and this non-bliss?
It is the ego.
Seek its source and find you are Bliss."

"That inner Self, as the primeval Spirit,
Eternal, ever effulgent, full and infinite Bliss,
Single, indivisible, whole and living,
Shines in everyone as the witnessing awareness.
That self in its splendour, shining in the cavity of the heart
This self is neither born nor dies,
Neither grows nor decays,
Nor does it suffer any change.
When a pot is broken, the space within it is not,
And similarly, when the body dies
the Self in it remains eternal."

~Ramana Maharshi
James

Postby Sighclone » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Amen.
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby lucy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:31 am

Sevenworlds

I completely understand where you are coming from. Having said that, you know that there is only one thing that "COMPARES AND CONCLUDES"
This time it got by disguised as "Eckhart's not quite there yet". You also know that any movement of thought is movement away from the TRUTH.
lucy

Postby mukau » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:09 am

Fascinating reading this whole thread. I love that last post, though, Lucy. I think you just summed up what I've been feeling throughout, thank you -and thank you all. I'm really looking forward to listening to some of these other teachers that I have no experience of.

When I think of ET, I don't worry about whether I think he's fully enlightened or not (who am I to judge?) or whether he thinks he's fully enlightened or not (who am I to judge?) :D :D
mukau

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:34 am

If one says "I am enlightened", if it does not mean fully enlightened, what then does it mean? :?

What does the word "fully" add to it? If one can be somewhat enlightened, then are we not all enlightened - relative to a somewhat more limited perspective? Hmm

But really, does it matter to anything other than ego/mind?

WW
Webwanderer

Postby DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 am

Webwanderer wrote:But really, does it matter to anything other than ego/mind?

WW

This is the whole deal it is all ego-mind, the seeking,levels of awareness you name it almost and we are speaking ego-mind simple as that. People ask questions will awakening change me, will I still care about things when I awake, in truth take everything minus a couple of posts on the whole ET board and what you have is ego-mind.

In the ultimate there are no answers because there was never a question and even that statement was made by ego-mind. Ego-mind is not a negative thing nor postive it just IS and without it we would not be here in the dream to play the game so for one I am very grateful for the ego-mind.
Cheers
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana
DWBH1953

Postby Sighclone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:17 am

Ego-mind is not a negative thing nor postive it just IS and without it we would not be here in the dream to play the game so for one I am very grateful for the ego-mind.

Me too. How could we function on this planet without a mind? And since the ego is a product of the mind, it's a natural development, too. Eckhart was very clear saying that egos are quite natural for people under 30, in the fourth Oprah webinar, and he also stated that he could never have shifted at a younger age due to his huge ego.

Unfortunately, it's a big story we get caught up in, and get lost.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:30 am

DWBH1953 wrote:This is the whole deal it is all ego-mind, the seeking,levels of awareness you name it almost and we are speaking ego-mind simple as that. People ask questions will awakening change me, will I still care about things when I awake, in truth take everything minus a couple of posts on the whole ET board and what you have is ego-mind.

Yes, but is it "fully" ego/mind? :roll:

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Sighclone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am

:lol:

Andy
Sighclone

Postby DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:03 am

Webwanderer wrote:
DWBH1953 wrote:This is the whole deal it is all ego-mind, the seeking,levels of awareness you name it almost and we are speaking ego-mind simple as that. People ask questions will awakening change me, will I still care about things when I awake, in truth take everything minus a couple of posts on the whole ET board and what you have is ego-mind.

Yes, but is it "fully" ego/mind? :roll:

WW

LOL cute what are we going to do with this word fully.. fully__________ fill in blanks
Randji :mrgreen:
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana
DWBH1953

Postby Sighclone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:15 am

I just want to state the obvious...words are inadequate. INADEQUATE!

But that is a further indicator of what makes even the briefest glimpse of unity so significant and so real.

Namaste, Andy
Sighclone

Postby DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:36 am

Sighclone wrote:I just want to state the obvious...words are inadequate. INADEQUATE!

But that is a further indicator of what makes even the briefest glimpse of unity so significant and so real.

Namaste, Andy

So true so true..
Namaste
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana
DWBH1953

Postby eagle2phoenix » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:12 am

All I know is that when I read his books, it just touches me. And it encourages me to let go the ego. If even the book can do that, what more the person in person? Has anyone in this forum ever met ET and felt his presence? I hope to meet him someday though.
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.
eagle2phoenix

Postby sevenworlds » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:59 pm

eagle2phoenix wrote:7Ws, you are indeed wise. I read your lines as one who is blinkered. My sincere apologies and I thank you for pointing that out. Which is why I wrote in another thread Of Ego's Death and Depression that I feel I am going nuts because I am no longer sure who is behind my writing.

No need to apologise eagle. I have had moments where I've been close to madness or thought I was going to go insane over the last 2 years. You have to go through it - walk right through the madness. The most important thing is to recognise what is able to see the madness. Stay with that.

I now understand you better. I do feel like this as well. My mind is constantly blank, I cannot think. And I like to talk about spirituality but it is difficult to get birds of the same feather to flock together. With normal friends, it tends to get misunderstood. People start relating to religions and it gets ugly.

I tend to do simple things these days instead of complex ones. Gardening helps me.

All of that is a process it seems you have to go through. Losing friends, interests, loneliness, depression, a lot of stuff must drop away and it's not going to feel nice for a while. How else can you find out what is real? If you are aware of the process, as you seem to be, then maybe it's easier. I had all that stuff going on over a 10 year period without knowing what was happening to me. You must reach a place of complete hopelessness. When your mind doesn't have anywhere else to run, that's when something can happen.

To those who are talking about requiring an ego to function in this world - that's nonsense. That is the ego itself which is saying that in self-protection. Anyway, ego is another dirty word. It is "you", what you actually are now. Just a walking bunch of concepts that they - the society - has programmed into you. It is that one who is also talking about facets and meaningless vs love, joy and whatever else. It's always easier to hide behind these things than find out for yourself what is actually there.

That one is also making all sorts of assumptions about this individual. It interprets everything and cannot see things as they are. Saying my conversations are different, that I cannot do certain things anymore, or I have lost interest doesn't mean I am unhappy and wish to change anything. I don't even know what happiness is anymore so I can't be unhappy. "You" cannot conceive of living without all these things - friends, love, work, interests, happiness, etc. but "you" ARE the world and so either the whole lot goes or you carry on as you are forever. Assuming I'm "comparing and concluding"... that can only be a problem if there is a person here who believes in what he is saying. As soon as I say ANYTHING it is dead to me and no longer valid.
sevenworlds

PreviousNext

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion