What is communication?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
HowToKnowGod

What is communication?

Post by HowToKnowGod » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:04 am

What is the purpose of communication when everything I see in the world is a product of my own mind's perception?

Why should I phone someone, when they're ultimately an illusion?

kiki

Re: What is communication?

Post by kiki » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:08 am

Perhaps that illusion has a great recipe, or you need a ride to the store.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

HowToKnowGod

Post by HowToKnowGod » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:23 am

No. I cook better than anyone I know and I have a car and my friends aren't the type of people who would drive me somewhere anyway. My dad won't let me borrow his car when I'm in his city. Both my mother and step-mother are shitty cooks. My dad's O.K., but he just does it to show off at parties and whatnot.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:49 am

"The world is illusion, only Brahmin is real, the world is Brahmin." (Ramana Maharshi)

HowToKnowGod - please do not be put off by the firm comment below. It is made in love and respect.

Until the phrase above resonates immediately with every molecule of your being and every vibration of your spirit, it is just a concept. If I were to say: "God is everywhere," that would just be a concept until you experienced it. If I were to say to a three-year-old: "If you drop that brick on your foot, it will hurt," the child would not really understand that comment until he or she tried it. Because you have asked the question about samsara being an illusion, that possibility is only a concept and in fact, people, food, cars, books, schools and footballs are all very real for you.

It is important to own that fact, to accept your current level of awareness. Byron Katie talks about "loving what is." For you, everything you experience is very real. And that is 100% OK. It is what it is. That is what kiki meant by getting a ride to the store. The store is real.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:22 am

HowToKnowGod wrote:What is the purpose of communication when everything I see in the world is a product of my own mind's perception?

Who said you should phone someone?
Why do anything? If you sit there for 3 or 4 days and do nothing no drinking water nothing then all the illusion will fall away and only your true Self will remain, works everytime!
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

HowToKnowGod

Post by HowToKnowGod » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:21 pm

If I didn't do anything for four days and never drank water in that time, I would end up sick. Do you do that and come out healthy?

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:25 pm

HowToKnowGod wrote:If I didn't do anything for four days and never drank water in that time, I would end up sick. Do you do that and come out healthy?
LOL Sorry it was meant as a joke if you went that long with no water you would be dead so all the illusion is gone..I know bad humor!
Cheers
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

HowToKnowGod

Post by HowToKnowGod » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 pm

Well, thanks for getting back anyway. It's still sort of confusing. You're part of my imagination, so why do I communicate with you? It's like I'm looking for an answer where it can't be found.

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:38 pm

HowToKnowGod wrote:Well, thanks for getting back anyway. It's still sort of confusing. You're part of my imagination, so why do I communicate with you? It's like I'm looking for an answer where it can't be found.
Ahh no problem imagination is wonderful..a little hint you cannot find something that you already have it is really that simple the old glasses on my head while looking all around for them..
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

HowToKnowGod

Post by HowToKnowGod » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:26 pm

My mind is obscuring what's already there. I want to be happy, but I'm already happy. I just don't believe I'm happy because I identify with that which believes it is not happy.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:31 pm

HowToKnowGod wrote:Well, thanks for getting back anyway. It's still sort of confusing. You're part of my imagination, so why do I communicate with you? It's like I'm looking for an answer where it can't be found.
Why do you scratch an itch? That too is a form of communication. And I am not part of "your" imagination. We all are imagination expressed. If anything, you are the awareness of this temporary idea of you - identified with. Any interaction within the expression is just further expression of imagination. Either way awareness and expression are just the appearance of duality. To name and conceptualize one is merely to separate from the other - at least in appearance. Words and labels tend to create the sense of distance. We can however, find peace within the flow of appearances though both form and formless. Live what the moment offers. Know it is only a momentary expression of being.

WW

HowToKnowGod

Post by HowToKnowGod » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Webwanderer,

I don't scratch an itch. I observe myself scratching an itch.

Yes, it's not "my" imagination. We're all imagination expressed.

Today this imaginary world seems to be powerfully overwhelming.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:29 pm

HowToKnowGod wrote:Webwanderer,

I don't scratch an itch. I observe myself scratching an itch.

Yes, it's not "my" imagination. We're all imagination expressed.

Today this imaginary world seems to be powerfully overwhelming.
But, HowToKnowGod, you originally wrote: "why do "I" communicate with you?" Apply your own response that it's not "I" that communicates no more than it is I that scratches, nor for that matter, "I" that observes. Each of these is a reference to an identity that itself is just imaginary.

Actually "I" think you are making this more complicated than it is. (That is after all what ego/mind does). And I don't mind the reference to an "I that I know is just a useful perspective. One only need drop the labels and the analysis, and experience this moment without thinking. Recognize that clear, present awareness, as who/what you are. Not as a final concept of being, but as a clearer sense of life than what thinking offers. When mind and thought re-engage, recognize that as just the process of life expressing its imagery, and have some fun with it. Engagement with life does not change our essence, it merely offers opportunty for adventure and integration of form/imagery with being.

WW

doug

Post by doug » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:49 pm

hey, that 4 days without water thing looks like the trick to me...you say it works everytime?
:lol:

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:53 pm

doug wrote:hey, that 4 days without water thing looks like the trick to me...you say it works everytime?
:lol:
Ahhh you got me on that one excellent! lol
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana